Memory Lane- Div Ye Min?

  • fisherquine
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 1:51 PM
      I remember the wash hoose too - especially when it was raining!
      Round about 15 years of age?

      I min before that though, my grandma getting up at 5am to light the
      fire in the boiler to heat the water on a Monday for washing. After
      boiling the clothes were transferred to the tub with a pair of wooden
      tongs cause they were boiling hot. They were rinsed in the sink then
      back in the tub to be put through the mangle. The mangle stood about
      five feet high - a massive thing to a young quine.

      The coloured clothes were put in the same water after adding some
      cold and they had to get three scrubs on the scrubbing board - it had
      to be three! They were rinsed in the sink between each scrub and
      into the tub before going through the mangle.

      Left overs for dinner- broth, roast beef and whatever- cause nobody
      had time to do anything but wash. Then on Tuesday it was stovies with
      the left over beef aff the roast.