Pitch and Toss

  • fisherquine
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2002
      For the uninitiated pitch and toss was a game where pennies were
      tossed at a marker on the ground from a marked line. Money was
      gambled on the outcoe and the nearest took all!
      Fishermen had their own variation where they threw their knives at
      the marked spot. The rules of the game depended on whether you came
      from Buchanhaven, South Bay or Roanheads!!

      The card school played a number of games according to Dad - even
      poker! Had to be played in the hollows over the water as it was
      illegal especialy on a Sunday. As the bridge was the only way across
      they posted a look out for any signs of authority!

      Always a Sunday as the boats at that time never sailed on the
      Sanbbath - it was a great sight to see the fleet go out from the
      harbour the back of Sunday - after midnight.

      Margie
    • dundeealex
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6, 2002
        I remember playing it as a young lad at the back o'the wash hoose but
        we pitched the coin usually a 1/2 penny against the wall but then you
        had to toss them, that was layin them on two fingers. canna mind the
        rules but we learned a lot O' Bad? habits roond aboot that wash
        hoose<bg> ye ken like turnin the handle to part dry the claes for yer
        mither.
        Alex