Cobbans-Elphinstone-Beadie

  • gordon f. hammerstrom
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 1998
      I thought I had got this on the digest before but guess it didn't go
      through so her goes.

      My Greatgrandfather was James Cobban from the Longside/Peterhead area.
      He probably was born in the 1860s and married a girl from Dublin. Her
      name may have been Elizabeth. They had my grandfather George Cobban born
      in May of 1896 in Longside. His siblings may have been Jean, Robert and
      Willie. Family history says Jean and Willie never married and that
      Willie was a policeman. One story says Robert died in a threashing
      accident when a young boy of 8 ot 9. My grandfather married MaryAnn
      Elphinstone daughter of James and Margaret Beadie Elphinstone from from
      the Rathan, Roseharty area of Aberdeenshire. George and Mary went to the
      states shortly after their Feb 1910 marriage, They returned after a year
      or so and had a son James in 1912. Theywent back to the states to settle
      in ND in 1913 and never returned to Scotaland. One of my uncles told me
      that James(the father) died about this time and the rest of the family
      went to Austrilla. My 84 year old aunt who passed away in May of this
      year said she does not think they left Scotland but that perhaps James
      siblings did. She also did not remember Robert being killed... Can
      anyone help me find records of any of these marriages or deaths. I so
      want to find my grandmothers first and maiden name...Thank you so much.
      Judy in MN
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 1998
        Hi again Judy,

        gordon f. hammerstrom wrote:

        > My Greatgrandfather was James Cobban from the Longside/Peterhead area.
        > He probably was born in the 1860s and married a girl from Dublin. Her

        I forgot to ask, do you have access to the 1881 census index through an
        LDS Family History Centre? If you don't let me know and I will check
        for James Cobban when they open again after New Year.