How do I?

  • fisherquine
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2002
      Hi,

      You lot from "across the pond" are putting me to shame. I have had it
      too easy here as I have two aunts both over 90 whom I just ask to fil
      in the blanks. Now I ned to go further back and haven't a clue what
      to do. So here goes:

      If I have the death certificate is there any way it is crossed linked
      to a birth or marriage certificate.

      How do I get details of births before the 1841 census?

      Wade asked about folk going to Edinburgh to look something up. I am
      often in Edinburgh so where do I go and what do I do when I am
      there?

      As I am fisher Peterhead on both sides I am probably related to
      everyone on this mailing list!!

      Milne side- gg grandmother died 1914 aged 77. Father Peter Buchan -
      mother Jean May.

      Strachan(Sankey) side - Robert Strachan married Elizaeth Buchan 1857
      at 44 Roanheads - his father was Robert and his mother was Margaret
      Still. This male line goes through George in the next feneration and
      Alexander after that - George married mary Bruce at Drumlinnie and
      Alexander Strachan born 9th Feb 1768 was Puckles Sandy they then go
      back to Corskelly.

      Elizabeth Buchan's father was John Buchan and her mother was Margaret
      Ritchie - needless to say all the males are fishermen.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
        Hi Cousin,

        fisherquine wrote:

        > Milne side- gg grandmother died 1914 aged 77. Father Peter Buchan -
        > mother Jean May.

        Your gg grandmother is my 1st Cousin 4 times removed. So I think that
        makes you and Violet 3rd Cousins and Alec is also your 3rd Cousin
        through this branch. I have sent information on this branch to your
        personal email address, as the newsgroup does not accept attachments.
        I've traced this branch of the Buchan's back to the early 1600's in
        Corskelly Lonmay. I will catch up on a few other emails and then send
        you more information.

        > Strachan(Sankey) side - Robert Strachan married Elizaeth Buchan 1857
        > at 44 Roanheads - his father was Robert and his mother was Margaret
        > Still. This male line goes through George in the next feneration and
        > Alexander after that - George married mary Bruce at Drumlinnie and
        > Alexander Strachan born 9th Feb 1768 was Puckles Sandy they then go
        > back to Corskelly.
        >
        > Elizabeth Buchan's father was John Buchan and her mother was Margaret
        > Ritchie - needless to say all the males are fishermen.

        I'm sure I found a connection last time with this branch for you, but
        will check again.

      • Mmm16dav@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
          Wade Hi,

          Thanks for the Buchan /Milne side that has saved a lot of work. It also adds
          the name of the yoles to the stories I have written on the history. I am now
          hopeful of having photos of those yoles to scan for inclusion in the history.
          At this rate it will never be finished.
          Others on the list linked to this are Bruce Milne and Ann - sorry Ann don't
          know your married name. Her g grandmother was Barbara Cow Buchan from the
          other side. I see there is also a Cow in the Milne/ Buchan side - ifthat
          links with Sylvia Cow and William Leslie I will have links with practically
          everyone on this list!!!!

          I knew about the connection with Alex but not with Violet - is that Chat's
          Arthur's? I have photos somewhere with Jessie Jean at a picnic across the
          water!

          The Strachan side is doubly confusing. My gg grandfather Sankey married a
          Strachan and you have linked both sides. I have Dide's side back to 1696 -
          that's through Puckles Sandy. The Robert Strachan line is Grandma's
          Robert Strachan c 1836 married 9 July 1857 died 15 July 1904 - his father
          Robert was born in England - check 1841 census. This was done by a researcher
          working for my cousin in Vancouver Island a number of years ago. I have not
          done any of this research myself. His wife as you say was Margaret Still - or
          Hill born c 17796 died 9 Nov 1862.

          Does George Strachan also run through this line cause if it does then I have
          two of his sons running through my line - one with Robert the other with
          Alexander!! Would that be right?

          On that same line Elizabeth Buchan whom you mention father John Buchan born
          c 1795 in Lonmay died 24/9/1882 in Peterhead was married to Margaret Ritchie
          christened 8 March 1799 Rathen died 16th SAugust 1855 at Peterhead. Here
          there is confusion as I then have both with Barbara May as mother - there
          would have to be two Barbara Mays as a brother couldn't marry his half
          sister!!!
          One has Peter Buchan as father and the other has John Ritchie as father but
          both have Barbara May as mother. That is impossible - the dates are around
          1770.

          This is the line I didn't want to do just yet till I had finished the Buchan/
          Milne line so any help will be gratefully received lol.

          Now the list can try to sort this lot out!! I am off to scan three albums of
          drifters for Scottish Week!!! What did I say about a quiet life?

          Regards to all

          Margie

        • Ken May
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2002
            Margie,

            I have a John May, baptised Rathen 6 Sep 1718, married
            Barbara (Surname unknown) 26 Aug 1747. Their 13th
            child was Barbara, baptised Rathen 6 Nov 1769, who
            married John Ritchie on 17 March 1796.

            I only have this information, as gathered by others,
            but Rathen may give you a direction for records.

            Regards

            Ken May

            http://uk.my.yahoo.com
          • Mmm16dav@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 16, 2002
              In a message dated 16/06/2002 09:07:11 GMT Standard Time, kenjmay@...
              writes:

              I have a John May, baptised Rathen 6 Sep 1718, married
              Barbara (Surname unknown) 26 Aug 1747. Their 13th
              child was Barbara, baptised Rathen 6 Nov 1769, who
              married John Ritchie on 17 March 1796.

              This is great Ken - that looks as if it fits- that takes me to the next
              generation on my maternal Grandma's sde - the one where there are large gaps.
              Like you the information has been gathered by others so I have no idea where
              to check etc.
              Will attempt to get some advice next week and get back to you,

              Many thanks cousin - how many times removed???

              Margie