Deaths at Sea

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2002
      For Alex (from Dundee) :

      Alex,
      If the death at sea occurred from 1855 onwards it should be in the MINOR RECORDS section of the statutory records.This would give the seaman's name, the ship and latitude/logtitude where the drowning occurred (if it was a drowning). Otherwise it would give the cause of death.
      Sometimes the Minor Record Entry cross references to a normal Death Certificate entry in the home district of the victim. It can also happen that the death gets registered at the first port of call following the death (rather than the victim's home town).Those would be held at New Register House, Edinburgh in the case of Scottish seamen.

      But I think that in the earlier years of the MINOR RECORDS by no means all deaths at sea were recorded (At least, that has been my experience). Although there really ALWAYS ought to be a death certificate somewhere (but, sadly, I have found otherwise !!).

      Hope this helps................................Alex Ritchie