DIED AT SEA

  • dundeealex
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22, 2002
      What happened when someone died or was lost at sea was it registered
      in a special list that is available ?
      Thanks in advance
      Alex
    • i.l.tilbury
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22, 2002
        attent. Alex
        I hope this helps you
        Monthly lists of dead seaman were compiled ,
        Giving name ,age, rating, nationality and bith place
        Home address and cause of death
        Lists for 1886/1889 are at the public record office in category BT 156
        Monthly lists of deaths of seamen
        There are also nine manuscipts registers of half yearly lists of deaths
        1882/1888 classified by cause in category BT 157 Reg isters of seaman death
        classified by cause
        Lynley

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23, 2002
          Hi Alex,

          dundeealex wrote:

          > What happened when someone died or was lost at sea was it registered
          > in a special list that is available ?
          > Thanks in advance
          > Alex

          They should be registered in the Deaths at Sea Register. I've come
          across some deaths at sea registered in Peterhead when the ship returns
          to Port. Alex Ritchie has one that was mentioned in the newspaper, but
          can't find the death registered. They can be hard to find. Captain's
          Log books must also record them, but these are rare to find.