Re: Botany village

  • royflett
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 18, 2002
      I'm afraid I can't help with your Botany Village query but I was
      interested to see that you have the surname Gammack in your family
      tree. I have transcribed most of the Gammack deaths in the North East
      and am able to connect most of the Gammacks to two families.

      I would be happy to share what information I have on this surname.

    • Mmm16dav@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 18, 2002
        Roy,

        Many thanks for your prompt reply. Don't know how much you know about the
        fishing community of the North east but as all are mostly Buchan and Strachan
        they need Tee names to be distinguished. The Gammacks I was referring to was
        the nickname of the Strachan family who lived " over the wickets "in
        Peterhead in the early 1800's - confused ? don't be - it gets much worse!

        I presume some of the Gammacks you are referring to are the ones from Crimond
        who are linked with the Youngs and Cordiners. If you have any who married
        Strachans and lived in Roanheads or any of the fishing vilages I would be
        most interested as our main Strachan line I have traced to 1695.

        I can give you any help you require regarding fishing customs and folk lore
        among the fishing communities in Peterhead or North East

        Thanks again

        Margie

      • royflett
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 18, 2002
          I have read about Tee names when trying to research my own ancestor
          Jane Strachan who had an illegitimate child, called Charles Scott b
          1813 St Fergus. On Charles death certificate his mother is named as
          Jane Buchan ms Strachan. I gave up at this point as the sheer number
          of Strachan and Buchan marriages made it too time-consuming to
          research. Any assistance here would be welcome.

          My Peterhead Gammacks appear in census records at Longate but
          originate in Fraserburgh and Rathen.

          --- In Peterhead@y..., Mmm16dav@a... wrote:

          > Roy,
          >
          > Many thanks for your prompt reply. Don't know how much you know
          about the
          > fishing community of the North east but as all are mostly Buchan
          and Strachan
          > they need Tee names to be distinguished. The Gammacks I was
          referring to was
          > the nickname of the Strachan family who lived " over the
          wickets "in
          > Peterhead in the early 1800's - confused ? don't be - it gets much
          worse!

          > I presume some of the Gammacks you are referring to are the ones
          from Crimond
          > who are linked with the Youngs and Cordiners. If you have any who
          married
          > Strachans and lived in Roanheads or any of the fishing vilages I
          would be
          > most interested as our main Strachan line I have traced to 1695.
          >
          > I can give you any help you require regarding fishing customs and
          folk lore
          > among the fishing communities in Peterhead or North East
          >
          > Thanks again
          >
          > Margie

        • William Leslie
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 18, 2002
            Hello Margie;
            I have a Mary Strachan mixed up with my Leslies of Peterhead and Longside.
            Do you have any connection?
            I have lots of Leslie ancestors from Peterhead and Longside. I have SRO
            documents for many up to my gg grandfather James Leslie. James was a farmer
            from
            Longside, and the only information I have about my ggg grandfather John
            Leslie is from James's birth record. It states that John Leslie, father was
            a Crofter from Longside, no age, no wife.
            I have estimated that since James was born in 1827, that John was probably
            born about 1800, in Longside. I have found SRO records for a John Leslie,
            son of Robert
            Leslie and Mary Strachan, born in Longside in 1800. Robert may be my gggg
            Leslie grandfather, but I need some other document for John before I can say
            conclusively that he is the son of Robert and Mary. The fact that James had
            a daughter named Mary, could mean that he named her after his aunt Mary,
            but this is a slim clue, since I can find many Mary Leslies, though not in
            Longside.
            If you have any clues about these Leslies in Longside, or know anyone who is
            researching Longside I would appreciate knowing about them.
            William Leslie

            > Many thanks for your prompt reply. Don't know how much you know about the
            > fishing community of the North east but as all are mostly Buchan and
            Strachan
            > they need Tee names to be distinguished. The Gammacks I was referring to
            was
            > the nickname of the Strachan family who lived " over the wickets "in
            > Peterhead in the early 1800's - confused ? don't be - it gets much worse!
            >
            > I presume some of the Gammacks you are referring to are the ones from
            Crimond
            > who are linked with the Youngs and Cordiners. If you have any who married
            > Strachans and lived in Roanheads or any of the fishing vilages I would be
            > most interested as our main Strachan line I have traced to 1695.
            >
            > I can give you any help you require regarding fishing customs and folk
            lore
            > among the fishing communities in Peterhead or North East
            >
            > Thanks again
            >
            > Margie

          • Bruce Milne
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 18, 2002
              Dang, I saw your response to Roy Flett and I was BIG TIME impressed. You
              got a handle on things there, m'quinie

              Warm regards
            • Mmm16dav@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 19, 2002
                William - I am not going down that road with your lot!!1 - joking.

                I am very much tied into the Cow ancestry - I met Sylvia in Buffalo recently
                - my grandfather and hers were brothers! I have a copy of Sylvia's tree.

                Email me outwith the group - I live in Cruden Bay - 8 miles from Peterhaed so
                any help I can give you just ask- not on the farming side though!! Anything
                to do with fishing in the past or present day photographs

                Margie(Cowe)

              • David Davidson
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 19, 2002
                  fisherquine,
                  As far as i know there are still some houses near the Lighthouse at Rattray
                  Head i think the nearest town would either lonmay or crimond.
                  Some of the ruins are still standing.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 19, 2002
                    Many thanks to all who replied - I have found the information I needed in the
                    local library here in Cruden Bay!! Sand and Silence - the Lost Villages of
                    the North by D P Willis for any others interested. It details the demise of
                    the village at Forvie sands beside Newburgh as well as the fishing settlement
                    at Botany when some of the fishers moved and settled at Buchanhaven

                    My best wishes to all researching in and around Peterhead.

                    Margie

                  • Bruce Milne
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 19, 2002
                      I got an email from you mentioning William and you're not going down that
                      road.........who in the world is William......and what road aare you
                      tlaking about? You been into the Scotch again?

                      Warm regards, Bruce
                    • docnasco2
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 21, 2002
                        --- In Peterhead@y..., Bruce Milne <brucemil@i...> wrote:
                        > I got an email from you mentioning William and you're not going
                        down that
                        > road.........who in the world is William......and what road aare you
                        > tlaking about? You been into the Scotch again?
                        >
                        > Warm regards, Bruce

                        Bruce, (and Cousins Margie and William too)

                        I had a good chuckle with your message. As you know Margie is my
                        cousin from the Cowe side of the family. Well William is my cousin
                        from the Rankin side of the family. I met William through this site
                        when I read and inquiry he had about his great grandfather (James
                        Rankin) which I recognized as my great grandfather too. And of
                        course Margie will have to tell us how you and I are related, because
                        I don't have it written down and without that I am lost.

                        I just found out today that I have I have your father to thank for
                        being an American. My mother told me that it was your father who,
                        while visiting Peterhead, encouraged my father to come to America.
                        Mom and Dad came to your parents house when they first came to
                        Niagara Falls. So thank you Petrie!!

                        It was nice reading all the messages today from my cousins on the
                        Peterhead site. But I have to admit that it was a bit humorous that
                        we are all brought together in this way.

                        Hello to all!!

                        Sylvia Cowe Nascimben

                        Maternal: Rankin, Davidson, MacPherson
                        Paternal: Cow(e), Buchan
                      • William Leslie
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 21, 2002
                          Hello Bruce, Margie and Sylvia;
                          I think that this is the greatest invention in communication, and I don't
                          know how I would live now without a powerful computer. I feel very close to
                          all my cousins, and to Peterhead, simply because I can get such quick
                          answers and so much information.
                          Reagrds
                          William Leslie