Alexander Simpson Ships' Captain

  • royflett
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2002
      Does anyone have any information on an Alexander Simpson who died 1
      Mar 1903. He was the illiegitimate child of my gt gt gt grandmother,
      Ann Gammack, by an Alexander Simpson. He was born circa 1853,
      pssibly in Peterhead where his mother lived.

      The record in the Register of Deaths say he was a ship's captain who
      sank with the SS Hartfell ? off Cruden (hard to make out). His usual
      address was 62 Fonthill Road in Aberdeen.
    • dmatt
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 19, 2002
        Roy,

        Does anyone have any information on an Alexander Simpson who died 1
        >Mar 1903. He was the illiegitimate child of my gt gt gt grandmother,
        >Ann Gammack, by an Alexander Simpson. He was born circa 1853,
        >pssibly in Peterhead where his mother lived.
        >
        >The record in the Register of Deaths say he was a ship's captain who
        >sank with the SS Hartfell ? off Cruden (hard to make out). His usual
        >address was 62 Fonthill Road in Aberdeen.

        Have you looked at the 1901 census. In addition the Kirk Session records
        will probably have an entry. The church above Cruden Bay (I think it is
        Saint James Episcopalian) has some burials for ships lost, there was
        certainly one for April 1912 (the same month as the Titanic) which had been
        erected by the shipping company.

        David
        >Does anyone have any information on an Alexander Simpson who died 1
        >Mar 1903. He was the illiegitimate child of my gt gt gt grandmother,
        >Ann Gammack, by an Alexander Simpson. He was born circa 1853,
        >pssibly in Peterhead where his mother lived.
        >
        >The record in the Register of Deaths say he was a ship's captain who
        >sank with the SS Hartfell ? off Cruden (hard to make out). His usual
        >address was 62 Fonthill Road in Aberdeen.
        >

        >Peterhead Genealogy at http://axs.com.au/~wsb/

      • royflett
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 19, 2002
          Thanksfor the advice.

          I did find Ann Gammack in the 1861 census of Peterehead at 4 Port
          Hrnry Lane but no mention of Alexander Simpson. I have not tried the
          1901 sensus.

          I checked the Kirk session mninutes for Peterhead but found nothing
          fo Ann though she was living in Longside in 1849 and will need to
          check the Longside Kirk Session Minutes when nexty in Edinburgh,
          unless anoye has already extracted this information.

          In the Poor relief records Ann is living at 17 Longate when applying
          for poor relief in 1888, The ntry for her children not living at home
          has " Illegitimte son Alexaander Simpson, chief mate on a large
          Greenocvk vessel, the SS Possiedon".

          Ann Gammack died in 1892 Peterhead living at 17 Longate, death
          notifoed by grand nephew George Elrick.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/