Re: Welcome to Peterhead@onelist.com

  • Dulcie Innes
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 5, 1998
      Thank you Wade for your welcome to the Peterhead list.

      I am searching for information on the family of Mary GREIG who was baptised
      on 29 March 1835 at Peterhead. Father: Alexander GREIG.

      I would be grateful for any help.

      Thank you
      Dulcie Innes

      this
      > message.
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
      > www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
      > on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
      > between digest and normal mode.
      >
      > Please only talk about Peterhead information, records or ancestors from
      > Peterhead.
      >
      > As a start you could tell us all the people you are researching from
      Peterhead.

    • JMiklos102@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 14, 1998
        I am researching my mother's family in Peterhead.
        My mother's name was Ruth Birnie. She was born Oct. 1, 1925? in Peterhead.
        She had numerous brother's and sisters - William, Mary, Jean, Thomas,
        Margaret, Elizabeth. They immigrated to Canada in the late 20's. My
        grandfather was Andrew Birnie and my grandmother was Mary Anderson. They
        lived at 27 Prince St. Peterhead. I believe that they lived there with their
        parents and my grandfather's brothers. I have an old picture of them in front
        of the house. I belive that the house was converted from a jail to an
        apartment building. Would appreciate any help. Thanks
        Jeannie
      • JDVon@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 14, 1998
          Hi Jeanie
          We have Birnie in our Cheyne family line. I have Elizabeth Cheyne marrying
          William Birnie son of John Birnie and Christian Panton. They had five
          children that I know of William, Barbara, Magdalene, Alexander and James. All
          born in the early 1800s Can you go back that far? They are listed on the
          Cheyne Home Page. http://www.rootsweb.com/~cheyne
          Let me know if you need more info.
          DeLories Vaughn
          JDVon@...
        • JMiklos102@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 14, 1998
            Hi DeLories
            I have just started searching so I really can't go back any farther at this
            point than the late 1800's. I know that 27 Prince St. was in that family for
            quite some time and that all of the family members seemed to live together in
            that home. I will definitely let you know if I hear of anything. I have
            asked my mother if she remembers anything regarding her grandparents (names
            etc.) I do have a picture of them from the early 1900's.
            Thanks
            Jeannie
          • Roderick Hay Bain
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 16, 1998
              Fit like?

              I too have Birnie/Cheyne link. Please send me file on your ancestors. I
              have hundreds of names in these lines linked from Rathen parish so am
              very interested to add to mine. From early 1700's.

              Rodi Bain

              In message <b67b6212.3675a48c@...>, JDVon@... writes
              >From: JDVon@...
              >
              >Hi Jeanie
              >We have Birnie in our Cheyne family line. I have Elizabeth Cheyne marrying
              >William Birnie son of John Birnie and Christian Panton. They had five
              >children that I know of William, Barbara, Magdalene, Alexander and James. All
              >born in the early 1800s Can you go back that far? They are listed on the
              >Cheyne Home Page. http://www.rootsweb.com/~cheyne
              >Let me know if you need more info.
              >DeLories Vaughn
              >JDVon@...

              Dr Roderick Hay Bain
            • JMiklos102@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 17, 1998
                I have just started research. My grandfather was Andrew Birnie, born in
                Peterhead in 1879. He had 8 brothers. He married Mary Anderson. His
                brothers were Oscar, James, Thomas, Alexander, Joseph, William (don't know
                other names) They all lived at 27 Prince St. Peterhead. Any info you have
                will be great. Thanks
                Jeannie
              • JDVon@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 18, 1998
                  Rodi,
                  If you could give me your snailmail address I will mail you a copy of what I
                  have. I think it would be easier - if it's all right with you.
                  Sincerely,
                  DeLories Vaughn
                  JDVon@...
                • Niles & Becchi
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 30, 1998
                    I'm the person that Jim Mann Taylor is talking about. I went ahead and
                    subscribed to the list but the Alexander Cordiner I'm talking about, I
                    think Jim gave the wrong birthdate. It's May 7, 1850, the date Jim gave is
                    for Alexander's older brother William. Also Alexander married a Susan
                    Bruce Scott born 1854 in Glasgow (I think.) Her parents were Gordon Scott
                    and Susan Bruce. Alexander and Susan had several children prior to moving
                    to England, on to Canada and then on to Barre, Vermont, U. S. A. where they
                    had their last child, my grandmother Dorothy Florence Cordiner on February
                    9, 1897

                    this
                    > message.
                    >
                    > To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                    > www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
                    > on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                    > between digest and normal mode.
                    >
                    > Please only talk about Peterhead information, records or ancestors from
                    > Peterhead.
                    >
                    > As a start you could tell us all the people you are researching from
                    Peterhead.

                    > Thanks,
                    > Wade Buchan
                  • Joyce Piper
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 24, 1999
                      Hi Wade
                      The following people I am researching from Peterhead :

                      Sarah Davidson b6 May 1830;married Dugald McLeod 19 March 1850
                      William Vollum McLeod b13 Oct 1834;
                      Ann McLeod b 24 Oct 1830;
                      Robina McLeod b 14 Oct 1866, married William Gordon 1 Sept 1886
                      William Gordon b 7 Aug 1859
                      Thomas McLeod b22 Sept 1853; James McLeod b 15 March 1856;
                      Dugald McLeod b 11 Jun 1860; William Vollum McLeod b11 Jun 1864;
                      Helen Ann McLeod b 15 Oct 1850; Sarah McLeod b 13 Oct 1857;
                      Sarah McLeod b 11 May 1862; Patrician Jamieson McLeod b Feb 10 1872.
                      Christina Glennie Gordon b 19 Dec 1890
                      Many thanks
                      Joyce
                      >Welcome to the Peterhead Mailing list. Please take a moment to review
                      this
                      >message.
                      >
                      >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                      >www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
                      >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                      >between digest and normal mode.
                      >
                      >Please only talk about Peterhead information, records or ancestors
                      from
                      >Peterhead.
                      >
                      >As a start you could tell us all the people you are researching from
                      Peterhead.

                      >Thanks,
                      >Wade Buchan

                    • males
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 9, 1999
                        I am researching HERD John Thomas born c1860, brothers David, Charles sons
                        of George. Have checked IGI and Scots Origins on the web but havent found
                        anything as yet. Can anyone make a suggestion.
                      • J. David Barron
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 24, 1999
                          Hello:

                          I am researching the families Barron and Pirie. The information I have so far, is
                          that my Great-Grandfather, Alexander Barron, left Peterhead at age 14 (lying about
                          his age) to join the merchant marine. He was baptised in 1845 in Old Deer parish,
                          and his parents were John Barron, and Christian Pirie. The next record I have of
                          him is his marriage certificate, dated 1874 in Toronto. I am interested in learning
                          more about the Piries and the Barrons. Alexander's mother seems to have been
                          baptised in 1807 and her parents were Alexander Pirie and Christian Morgan or
                          Margan. Alexander had brothers and sisters Christian, Thomas, John, William, Anne
                          and Jane (twins).

                          I know about Alexander's descendants, and am interested in his ancestors and
                          siblings.

                          I can provide details about the information I have, and would love to learn
                          anything new about these families.

                          Regards from Ottawa, Canada

                          John David Barron
                        • Pearl Wilson
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 5 3:42 PM
                            Hi All Members,

                            And thankyou for setting up this List Wade..

                            My main Line in Peterhead is that of the GIBB Family.

                            Any others related out there???

                            Cheers,
                            Pearl.
                            http://members.tripod.com/PearlsPad/
                          • DMHINEY@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 18 9:14 PM
                              I'm Researching the Will Surname. My gg grandfather James Will was born in
                              Peterhead in 1809. Have no Idea who parents were. Anyone with info on this
                              surname please contact me.

                              Thanks
                              Debbie
                            • anna wilkie
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 11, 1999
                                >From: Peterhead-owner@onelist.com
                                >To: anna_wilkie@...
                                >Subject: [Peterhead] Welcome to Peterhead@onelist.com
                                >Date: 11 Jul 1999 14:05:42 -0000
                                >
                                >Hello,
                                >
                                >Welcome to the Peterhead Mailing list. Please take a moment to review this
                                >message.
                                >
                                >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                                >www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
                                >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                                >between digest and normal mode.
                                >
                                >Please only talk about Peterhead information, records or ancestors from
                                >Peterhead.
                                >
                                >As a start you could tell us all the people you are researching from
                                >Peterhead.
                                >
                                >Thanks,
                                >Wade Buchan

                                Hello there,
                                I am hoping to find out more about my husband's STEPHEN ancestors in
                                Peterhead.
                                His greatgrandfather was JAMES CORDINER STEPHEN b. Sept 1, 1856 in
                                Peterhead. James parents were (According to his marriage record) ROBERT
                                STEPHEN and ANN CORDINER. I am hoping to find out if this was the Robert
                                Stephen and ANN cordiner who were married in Peterhead on NOv 22, 1855.

                                Also , according to the International Genealogical Index JAMEs Stephen's
                                siblings were:
                                ROBERT STEPHEN b MAr 27, 1858
                                WILLIAM SELLAR STEPHEN b. July 29, 1860
                                ANN SELLAR STEPHEN b. July 13, 1862
                                MATTHEW STEWART STEPHEN b. Jan 2, 1866 d, 1867
                                DAVID CARDNO STEPHEN b. June 20, 1868
                                MATTHEW NICOL STEPHEN b. Dec 10, 1870
                                JOHN BROWN STEPHEN b. July 31, 1873

                                All in Peterhead

                                Does anyone out there recognize any of these names?
                              • Shelley Steven
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 12, 1999
                                  Hello Anna. My name is Shelley Stephen and I sure do recognize those names!
                                  My husband's great great grandfather was James Stephen, born May 15, 1805
                                  who married Anne Cordiner, born Nov 22,1806. Their children were: Robert,
                                  born 1869, Alice born 1870, Susan Ann, born 1872, Henrietta born 1874, James
                                  Garden born 1876, William born 1878, Agnes born 1880, Thomas Hutchison, Born
                                  1881, George Craib born 1884, Elsie Gordon born 1887, Sarah Elizabeth born
                                  1889, and John Clark (our grandpa) born 1893. Robert Stephen was my
                                  husband's great-grandfather who emigrated to Maymont, Saskatchewan in the
                                  early 1900's. He was the only one of twelve in the family to move to
                                  Canada, there are relatives in South Africa and Australia as well. There's
                                  likely a link between us!

                                  p.s. Is the international genealogical index a website? If so, I'd really
                                  appreciate the address.

                                  thank you,

                                  Shelley Stephen
                                  (we're in Campbell River, British Columbia on Vancouver Island)

                                  >>Welcome to the Peterhead Mailing list. Please take a moment to review this
                                  >>message.
                                  >>
                                  >>To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                                  >>www.onelist.com, and select the User Center link from the menu bar
                                  >>on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                                  >>between digest and normal mode.
                                  >>
                                  >>Please only talk about Peterhead information, records or ancestors from
                                  >>Peterhead.
                                  >>
                                  >>As a start you could tell us all the people you are researching from
                                  >>Peterhead.
                                  >>
                                  >>Thanks,
                                  >>Wade Buchan
                                  >
                                  >Hello there,
                                  >I am hoping to find out more about my husband's STEPHEN ancestors in
                                  >Peterhead.
                                  >His greatgrandfather was JAMES CORDINER STEPHEN b. Sept 1, 1856 in
                                  >Peterhead. James parents were (According to his marriage record) ROBERT
                                  >STEPHEN and ANN CORDINER. I am hoping to find out if this was the Robert
                                  >Stephen and ANN cordiner who were married in Peterhead on NOv 22, 1855.
                                  >
                                  >Also , according to the International Genealogical Index JAMEs Stephen's
                                  >siblings were:
                                  >ROBERT STEPHEN b MAr 27, 1858
                                  >WILLIAM SELLAR STEPHEN b. July 29, 1860
                                  >ANN SELLAR STEPHEN b. July 13, 1862
                                  >MATTHEW STEWART STEPHEN b. Jan 2, 1866 d, 1867
                                  >DAVID CARDNO STEPHEN b. June 20, 1868
                                  >MATTHEW NICOL STEPHEN b. Dec 10, 1870
                                  >JOHN BROWN STEPHEN b. July 31, 1873
                                  >
                                  >All in Peterhead
                                  >
                                  >Does anyone out there recognize any of these names?

                                  >Campaign 2000 is here!
                                  >http://www.onelist.com
                                  >Discuss your thoughts; get informed at ONElist. See our homepage.

                                • Jim Mann Taylor
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 13, 1999
                                    >My husband's great great grandfather was James Stephen, born May 15, 1805
                                    >who married Anne Cordiner, born Nov 22,1806. Their children were: Robert,
                                    >born 1869, Alice born 1870, Susan Ann, born 1872, Henrietta born 1874, James
                                    >Garden born 1876, William born 1878, Agnes born 1880, Thomas Hutchison, Born
                                    >1881, George Craib born 1884, Elsie Gordon born 1887, Sarah Elizabeth born
                                    >1889, and John Clark (our grandpa) born 1893. Robert Stephen was my
                                    >husband's great-grandfather who emigrated to Maymont, Saskatchewan in the
                                    >early 1900's.

                                    Shelley,

                                    I think you have made a mistake. There is no way that your Anne born in
                                    1806 could have given birth to that family ending with your relative born
                                    in 1893. That would have made Anne about 86 when she gave birth to John
                                    Clark. Even the first child in 1969 when Anne was 62ish is probably
                                    impossible. I think you have probably jumped two generations.

                                    Jim Mann Taylor
                                    Gloucestershire, England
                                    Aberdeenshire Families
                                    Main surnames include Taylor, Ingram, Garden, Cordiner, Stephen, Bradford,
                                    Birnie, Brodie, Ferguson, Mitchell, Chalmers, Allardyce.
                                    Plus Mann of Norfolk and Ralph of Nairn.
                                    <http://www.j.mann.taylor.clara.co.uk/family.htm>
                                  • Alison Anderson
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Sep 1, 1999
                                      Hi everyone,

                                      I'm looking for information on William Finnie (born c1766, no info on
                                      parents, death date unknown, but buried Peterhead), his wife Catherine Greig
                                      (born c1766, died 1858, and buried Peterhead), marriage date/place unknown.
                                      Catherine was the daughter of James Greig and Ann Alexander (no details
                                      known). I know William & Catherine had at least two sons - James (born
                                      c1811, married Mary Fraser - 30 December, 1837, Aberdeen, and died 28 July,
                                      1890), and Robert (born ?, married Mary Smith 23 September, 1837, Peterhead,
                                      died ?). Details of any other children to William & Catherine or any other
                                      Finnie's from Peterhead would be very welcome. I have a note of some of the
                                      children for James & Robert, but do not know all their wives or children.

                                      A. Anderson