1851 Census

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 10, 2002
      For Wade Buchan

      Wade,
      Many thanks for the Census information.
      I would really appreciate the details of George Martin's voyages which you offered.
      The only one I have details of is, in fact, his last in 1867 when he was first mate on the Dundee whaler "Camperdown".
      Just as they were pulling away he jumped from the quay, lost his footing and fell into the water. At first his injuries did not seem to be serious but by the time they reached Lerwick on their way to the whaling grounds he had died. His remains were interred in Lerwick although I've never been able to track down a Death Certificate (I guess these Shetlanders were a law unto themselves !!).

      Thanks Again........................................Alex Ritchie

    • Cathi Morton
      Message 2 of 30 , Aug 4, 2003
        Hi Janice,
        My GGGrandmother was Helen Wallace, born Sept 19, 1824. Her father was
        William Wallace b. 1798 in Dublin Ireland and her mother was Helen Chisholm
        b. 1798 in Peterhead. They were married 12/21/1823. Hope this is of some
        help and is your Helen Wallace. I have further info if you need it.

        Cathi

          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 10, 2003
            Hi Marilyn,

            1851 Peterhead Census
            District 4, Page 12, No.57, 31 Merchant Street
            Alexander Robertson, head, mar, 37, Solicitor, Insurance Broker & Ship-owner, Peterhead
            Isabella Robertson, wife, mar, 28, Pitsligo
            Margaret J Robertson, daughter, 7, Scholar, Peterhead
            Robert Robertson, son, 6, scholar, Peterhead
            George Robertson, son, 4, Peterhead
            Alexander Robertson, son, 3, Peterhead
            Milne J Robertson, son, 1, Peterhead
            James T Robertson, 5 months, Peterhead
            Margaret Whitecross, servant, 29, Nurse, Peterhead
            Margaret Paterson, servant, 23, Nurse, Tyrie
            Ann Robertson, servant, 19, Kitcheb Maid, Peterhead
            Ann Pressly, servant, 22, House Maid, Fraserburgh

            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 11, 2003
              Hi Wade.
              I am trying to locate information on Alexander Davidson.
              From the National Archives of Canada, Federal Census of 1871(Ontario Index)
              Here is what I have.
              Davidson, Alexander age 49 born 1822
              Peterhead, Scotland
              Married , 1850- Jane? Born 1829
              Occupation -Porter
              District Oxford North(014)
              Sub-district Woodstock Town(E)
              Division 1
              Page 18
              Microfilm reel C-9912-3
              Reference----Statistics Canada
              They had 7 children Jane b 1853
              Elsie b 1860
              John b 1862
              Harry b 1866
              Helen b 1867
              George b1870 d1944
              Mary b 1872
              George Davidson was my grandfather.
              Alexander Davidson's father was also Alexander and must have been born
              around 1790 in Peterhead Scotland.
              Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              Diana Beatty

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 14, 2003
                Hi Diana,

                I didn't find your Alexander Davidson in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.

                It looks like you haven't found Alexander's marriage. If any of the children were born in Scotland after 1855, it will give the mother's maiden name and date of marriage for parents.

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 16, 2003
                  My Alexander Davidson must have emigrated to Canada before that time. I have
                  also found a brother John born in 1824 in Scotland, but no mention of either
                  of their wives, however I think they must have come to Canada at the same
                  time,probably before 1850.
                  > I didn't find your Alexander Davidson in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.
                  >
                  > It looks like you haven't found Alexander's marriage. If any of the
                  children were born in Scotland after 1855, it will give the mother's maiden
                  name and date of marriage for parents.

                  > Regards, Wade.

                • diana beatty
                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 18, 2003
                    Hi Wade
                    I think my Alexander Davidson and his brother John, may have left Peterhead
                    before 1851, as his 7children seem to have been born in Canada 1853-1870,
                    but his father, who was also Alexander wrote a thesis in medicine(in Latin)
                    at the University of Edinborough in 1819, so he must have been born around
                    1795 in Peterhead.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 29, 2003
                      Hi Diana,

                      There is only an Alexander Davidson aged 61 a Mason born in Lonmay, that is close enough to being born in 1795.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 13, 2004
                        MessageHi Ian,

                        Only one John Robertson that age in the 1851 Census, however his wife was Janet Brown and he died in 1860 Peterhead. Did not find a Helen or Robert fit either. There is a death in 1856, he was a Ship Carpenter and died at sea, the 1856 deaths only give that he was married. On James' marriage certificate does it state if both parents are still alive?

                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 21, 2004
                          Hi Wade,
                          I finally found some more info on my Alexander Davidson. He was born
                          Jan.15, 1821.in Aberdeenshire Scotland, and died Sept. 9, 1910 in Woodstock,
                          Ontario Canada.
                          Married to Jean Valentine( sometimes listed as Jane)
                          born March 23,1830,Aberdeenshire Scotland.
                          died Aug.28, 1895. Woodstock Ontario
                          They emigrated to Canada and arrived in Woodstock Ontario in 1854.
                          His father was Alexander, and must have been born around 1790. I believe
                          they came from Peterhead.
                          Can you help me, or does anyone else tie in with this?
                          Sincerely, Diana Beatty.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 24, 2004
                            Hi Diana,

                            I had a quick look at the IGI (Family Search) on the Internet. Alexander Davidson and Jean Valentine married 1 April 1854 in Ellon. Also there is a birth for a Jean in the Chapel of Garioch parish that matches the date you gave. Didn't find a matching Alexander. Someone has also submitted this family to the Ancestral File, if it is not already you.

                            I suggest looking at the Ellon marriage on the OPR, either on film or Scotlandspeople web site, as it can sometimes give the parish they were from.

                            This is the only Alexander Davidson born about 1790 in Peterhead.

                            Peterhead 1851 Census
                            District 19, Page 14, No.41, Sterlinghill
                            Alexander Davidson, head, amr, 61, Mason, Lonmay
                            Isabella Davidson, wife, 54, Peterhead
                            Isabella Davidson, daughter, 17, Peterhead

                            Regards, Wade.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 24, 2004
                              Wade,
                              I am pretty new at this and am unfamiliar with the OPR.Can you tell me
                              where to find that.
                              Thanks for all your help. Diana.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 25, 2004
                                Diana,

                                The Old Parochial Registers (OPR) for Scotland are pre-1855 before Civil Registration began. These records have been filmed by the Latter Day Saints and can be hired through any of their Family History Centres. They are also available on the Scotlandspeople web site. If your a member of the Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS they will also do look ups for members.

                                The information varies in each parish and even within the same parish, depends on the Minister/Elder recording the information.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
                                  Hi Martin,

                                  District 4, Page 5, No.18, 11 Maiden Street
                                  Margaret Anderson, head, wid, 67, Annuitant, Macduff, Ban
                                  Ann Anderson, dau, 43, Organist, Banff, Ban
                                  Jane Anderson, dau, 29, Formerly Milliner, Thurso, Caithness
                                  Ann Anderson, grand-dau, 13, Scholar, Peterhead

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Oct 6, 2004
                                    Hi Wade. You were correct, the Alexander Davidson that married Jean
                                    Valentine was my great grandfather. Now I am looking for his
                                    father,Alexander, who would have been born around 1790, and lived in Lonmay.
                                    He could have been the one married to Isabella, but I believe he was
                                    involved in the Medical profession, as my brother has a thesis on kidney
                                    disease, written by him, in Latin, from the University of Edinborough. That
                                    is all I know.

                                    ----