1851 Census

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 28, 2002
      For Wade Buchan :

      Hi Wade,
      When you get a chance, could you locate a family for me on the 1851 Census ?
      I'm looking for a George Martin and his family. He may not have been at home because he was a seaman, but his wife would be Catherine Martin (approx. 36 years old) so you might find her and the family.

      Also if you (or anyone else out there) have access to the 1841 Census, I would like to locate Catherine Martin & family on that one also.

      Many Thanks & Best Regards

      Alex. Ritchie

      Message 2 of 30 , Apr 4, 2002
        Hi Alex,

        Alex Ritchie wrote:

        > For Wade Buchan :
        >
        > Hi Wade,
        > When you get a chance, could you locate a family for
        > me on the 1851 Census ?
        > I'm looking for a George Martin and his family. He
        > may not have been at home because he was a seaman, but his wife would
        > be Catherine Martin (approx. 36 years old) so you might find her and
        > the family.
        >
        > Also if you (or anyone else out there) have access to
        > the 1841 Census, I would like to locate Catherine Martin & family on
        > that one also.

        1851 Peterhead Census
        District 8, Page 6, No.36, Ronheads
        Catherine Martin, head, 35, Seamans wife, Peterhead
        William Martin, son, 12, Seamans son, Peterhead
        Jean Martin, daughter, 10, Peterhead
        Marion Martin, daughter, 4, Peterhead

        No.37
        Jean Martin, head, widow, 71, House Proprietor, Peterhead

        I have the 1841 census for Roanheads and found:
        District 5, Page 13, Roanheads
        Sarah Robertson, 55, Fish Vendor, Y
        Katherine Martin, 20, Y
        William Martin, 2, Y
        Jane Martin, 8 months, Y

        District 10 (at sea), Page 16
        George Martin, 25, Seaman, Y

        I have two voyage details for George if you are interested.

      • Alex Ritchie
        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 10, 2002
          For Wade Buchan

          Wade,
          Many thanks for the Census information.
          I would really appreciate the details of George Martin's voyages which you offered.
          The only one I have details of is, in fact, his last in 1867 when he was first mate on the Dundee whaler "Camperdown".
          Just as they were pulling away he jumped from the quay, lost his footing and fell into the water. At first his injuries did not seem to be serious but by the time they reached Lerwick on their way to the whaling grounds he had died. His remains were interred in Lerwick although I've never been able to track down a Death Certificate (I guess these Shetlanders were a law unto themselves !!).

          Thanks Again........................................Alex Ritchie

        • Cathi Morton
          Message 4 of 30 , Aug 4 4:57 AM
            Hi Janice,
            My GGGrandmother was Helen Wallace, born Sept 19, 1824. Her father was
            William Wallace b. 1798 in Dublin Ireland and her mother was Helen Chisholm
            b. 1798 in Peterhead. They were married 12/21/1823. Hope this is of some
            help and is your Helen Wallace. I have further info if you need it.

            Cathi

            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 4 4:06 PM
              Hi Janice,

              Message 6 of 30 , Dec 10, 2003
                Hi Marilyn,

                1851 Peterhead Census
                District 4, Page 12, No.57, 31 Merchant Street
                Alexander Robertson, head, mar, 37, Solicitor, Insurance Broker & Ship-owner, Peterhead
                Isabella Robertson, wife, mar, 28, Pitsligo
                Margaret J Robertson, daughter, 7, Scholar, Peterhead
                Robert Robertson, son, 6, scholar, Peterhead
                George Robertson, son, 4, Peterhead
                Alexander Robertson, son, 3, Peterhead
                Milne J Robertson, son, 1, Peterhead
                James T Robertson, 5 months, Peterhead
                Margaret Whitecross, servant, 29, Nurse, Peterhead
                Margaret Paterson, servant, 23, Nurse, Tyrie
                Ann Robertson, servant, 19, Kitcheb Maid, Peterhead
                Ann Pressly, servant, 22, House Maid, Fraserburgh

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 11, 2003
                  Hi Wade.
                  I am trying to locate information on Alexander Davidson.
                  From the National Archives of Canada, Federal Census of 1871(Ontario Index)
                  Here is what I have.
                  Davidson, Alexander age 49 born 1822
                  Peterhead, Scotland
                  Married , 1850- Jane? Born 1829
                  Occupation -Porter
                  District Oxford North(014)
                  Sub-district Woodstock Town(E)
                  Division 1
                  Page 18
                  Microfilm reel C-9912-3
                  Reference----Statistics Canada
                  They had 7 children Jane b 1853
                  Elsie b 1860
                  John b 1862
                  Harry b 1866
                  Helen b 1867
                  George b1870 d1944
                  Mary b 1872
                  George Davidson was my grandfather.
                  Alexander Davidson's father was also Alexander and must have been born
                  around 1790 in Peterhead Scotland.
                  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                  Diana Beatty

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 14, 2003
                    Hi Diana,

                    I didn't find your Alexander Davidson in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.

                    It looks like you haven't found Alexander's marriage. If any of the children were born in Scotland after 1855, it will give the mother's maiden name and date of marriage for parents.

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 16, 2003
                      My Alexander Davidson must have emigrated to Canada before that time. I have
                      also found a brother John born in 1824 in Scotland, but no mention of either
                      of their wives, however I think they must have come to Canada at the same
                      time,probably before 1850.
                      > I didn't find your Alexander Davidson in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.
                      >
                      > It looks like you haven't found Alexander's marriage. If any of the
                      children were born in Scotland after 1855, it will give the mother's maiden
                      name and date of marriage for parents.

                      > Regards, Wade.

                    • diana beatty
                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 18, 2003
                        Hi Wade
                        I think my Alexander Davidson and his brother John, may have left Peterhead
                        before 1851, as his 7children seem to have been born in Canada 1853-1870,
                        but his father, who was also Alexander wrote a thesis in medicine(in Latin)
                        at the University of Edinborough in 1819, so he must have been born around
                        1795 in Peterhead.

                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 29, 2003
                          Hi Diana,

                          There is only an Alexander Davidson aged 61 a Mason born in Lonmay, that is close enough to being born in 1795.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 13, 2004
                            MessageHi Ian,

                            Only one John Robertson that age in the 1851 Census, however his wife was Janet Brown and he died in 1860 Peterhead. Did not find a Helen or Robert fit either. There is a death in 1856, he was a Ship Carpenter and died at sea, the 1856 deaths only give that he was married. On James' marriage certificate does it state if both parents are still alive?

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 21, 2004
                              Hi Wade,
                              I finally found some more info on my Alexander Davidson. He was born
                              Jan.15, 1821.in Aberdeenshire Scotland, and died Sept. 9, 1910 in Woodstock,
                              Ontario Canada.
                              Married to Jean Valentine( sometimes listed as Jane)
                              born March 23,1830,Aberdeenshire Scotland.
                              died Aug.28, 1895. Woodstock Ontario
                              They emigrated to Canada and arrived in Woodstock Ontario in 1854.
                              His father was Alexander, and must have been born around 1790. I believe
                              they came from Peterhead.
                              Can you help me, or does anyone else tie in with this?
                              Sincerely, Diana Beatty.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 24, 2004
                                Hi Diana,

                                I had a quick look at the IGI (Family Search) on the Internet. Alexander Davidson and Jean Valentine married 1 April 1854 in Ellon. Also there is a birth for a Jean in the Chapel of Garioch parish that matches the date you gave. Didn't find a matching Alexander. Someone has also submitted this family to the Ancestral File, if it is not already you.

                                I suggest looking at the Ellon marriage on the OPR, either on film or Scotlandspeople web site, as it can sometimes give the parish they were from.

                                This is the only Alexander Davidson born about 1790 in Peterhead.

                                Peterhead 1851 Census
                                District 19, Page 14, No.41, Sterlinghill
                                Alexander Davidson, head, amr, 61, Mason, Lonmay
                                Isabella Davidson, wife, 54, Peterhead
                                Isabella Davidson, daughter, 17, Peterhead

                                Regards, Wade.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 24, 2004
                                  Wade,
                                  I am pretty new at this and am unfamiliar with the OPR.Can you tell me
                                  where to find that.
                                  Thanks for all your help. Diana.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 25, 2004
                                    Diana,

                                    The Old Parochial Registers (OPR) for Scotland are pre-1855 before Civil Registration began. These records have been filmed by the Latter Day Saints and can be hired through any of their Family History Centres. They are also available on the Scotlandspeople web site. If your a member of the Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS they will also do look ups for members.

                                    The information varies in each parish and even within the same parish, depends on the Minister/Elder recording the information.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
                                      Hi Martin,

                                      District 4, Page 5, No.18, 11 Maiden Street
                                      Margaret Anderson, head, wid, 67, Annuitant, Macduff, Ban
                                      Ann Anderson, dau, 43, Organist, Banff, Ban
                                      Jane Anderson, dau, 29, Formerly Milliner, Thurso, Caithness
                                      Ann Anderson, grand-dau, 13, Scholar, Peterhead

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Oct 6, 2004
                                        Hi Wade. You were correct, the Alexander Davidson that married Jean
                                        Valentine was my great grandfather. Now I am looking for his
                                        father,Alexander, who would have been born around 1790, and lived in Lonmay.
                                        He could have been the one married to Isabella, but I believe he was
                                        involved in the Medical profession, as my brother has a thesis on kidney
                                        disease, written by him, in Latin, from the University of Edinborough. That
                                        is all I know.

                                        ----