John Leslie circa 1800, Longside

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2002
      Hello Folks;
      I wonder if anybody from Longside is in this group, or maybe someone who is researching Longside.
      My father William Leslie was from Peterhead, as was his father William Leslie and his father William Leslie. My great great grandfather James Leslie was a farmer from Longside, and the only information I have about my ggg grandfather John Leslie is from James's birth record. It states that John Leslie, father of James, was a Crofter from Longside, no age, no wife's name. I have estimated that since James was born in 1827, that John was probably born about 1800, in Longside. I have found a John Leslie, son of Robert Leslie and Mary Strachan,born in Longside in 1800. Robert may be my gggg Leslie grandfather, but I need some other document for John before I can say conclusively that he is the son of Robert and Mary.
      I have some records from Scots Origins, where I found James Leslie, Robert Leslie and his son John in Longside.
      If you have any clues about these Leslies in Longside, or know anyone who is researching Longside I would appreciate knowing about them.

      Does anyone know of lists of Crofters about 1800 or before, or any other records that might be searched?
      Regards
      William Leslie