Alexander Birnie

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 18, 2002
      For Linda Adam :

      Hi Linda,
      Yes, maybe I'm off the beam with Peter Birnie.
      Also none of the Alexander Birnies in Lair E174 seem to have the right ages to match your birth date of 1790 either.
      Our best hope would be if he died after 1854 when the Statutory Records started in Scotland. But with his wife dying in 1861 at the age of 86 and being a Widow, chances are he died prior to 1855.
      If I uncover anything relevant I'll be sure to let you know.

      Best Regards...........................Alex Ritchie

    • Linda Adam
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 20, 2002
        For Alex Ritchie:

        Hi Alex,

        Is there a possibility that you may have the death record for;

        William Birnie, b 1781 d. 1863 ref. # 9

        I believe that he may be a brother to my Alexander (b. 1778 d. 1855 ref #
        11) as their fathers were Alexander Birnie and mother's maiden surname was
        Findlater.

        On the Baptism certificates for the children of Alexander Birnie and Fanny
        Francis witnesses were William Abernethy and William Birnie.

        Best Regards, ..... Linda Adam

        Yes, maybe I'm off the beam with Peter Birnie.
        Also none of the Alexander Birnies in Lair E174 seem to have
        the right ages to match your birth date of 1790 either.
        Our best hope would be if he died after 1854 when the
        Statutory Records started in Scotland. But with his wife dying in 1861 at
        the age of 86 and being a Widow, chances are he died prior to 1855.
        If I uncover anything relevant I'll be sure to let you know.

        Best Regards...........................Alex Ritchie

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Alex Ritchie
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2002
          For Linda Adam :

          Hi Linda,
          Apologies for the delay, I was hoping to get a little more information before I replied to you, but I havn't yet.
          Anyway, in Lair D127 (Old Cemetery) there is Alexander Birnie (Wright) (Aged 77) buried on Jan.15th.1855 and Fanny Birnie (Aged 86) buried on August 3rd.1861. I am trying to find out who else is in the Lair, that might give us a clue as to his parents.
          He was buried in early 1855. He may have just made it into the Statutory Records (which commenced in 1855). If he has then his Death Certificate should give his parents. If I'm over at Edinburgh any time soon I'll certainly look it up for you (if you havn't found it out yourself by then).

          Best Regards........................................Alex Ritchie

        • olorosoo@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 26, 2002
            Alex

            I was at GRO yesterday, and had so little success with my family that I
            turned to your Alexander Birnie, whom I'd noted down - and struck gold as the
            1855 death records have lots of extras!

            Alexander Birnie, joiner;age 77; born Peterhead lived 77 years in district;
            parents Alexander Birnie joiner (d), Margaret Findlater (d) ; married to
            Fanny Henry; Children Catherine aet. 12 1823 (I assume this means she died
            age 12 in 1823), Margaret aet. 41 1858, Alexander 39, Fanny 36, Jean 34, May
            33; Died January 15th 1855, Longate; Bronchitis 8 days; Buried Churchyard of
            Peterhead; Informant Alexander Birnie, son.

            Hope this helps.

            Fiona
          • Alex Ritchie
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 26, 2002
              To : Fiona & to Linda Adam

              Hi Fiona,
              Many thanks. That's really good information. It should
              help Linda Adam a lot with her researches.

              Linda,
              Hope you saw Fiona's note.

              Thanks Again...........................Alex
              Ritchie

              > I was at GRO yesterday, and had so little success with my family that I
              > turned to your Alexander Birnie, whom I'd noted down - and struck gold as
              the
              > 1855 death records have lots of extras!
              >
              > Alexander Birnie, joiner;age 77; born Peterhead lived 77 years in
              district;
              > parents Alexander Birnie joiner (d), Margaret Findlater (d) ; married to
              > Fanny Henry; Children Catherine aet. 12 1823 (I assume this means she died
              > age 12 in 1823), Margaret aet. 41 1858, Alexander 39, Fanny 36, Jean 34,
              May
              > 33; Died January 15th 1855, Longate; Bronchitis 8 days; Buried Churchyard
              of
              > Peterhead; Informant Alexander Birnie, son.
              >
              > Hope this helps.
              >
              > Fiona

            • Linda Adam
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 26, 2002
                Alex and Fiona,

                I was ecstatic when I read your e-mails this morning. This information has
                been a long time in coming and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your
                help as I had pretty much exhausted all avenues of research available on the
                Internet. My Birnie Tree can now move forward in a positive direction.

                Thanks also to Betty for putting me straight as who Alexander's parents were
                not ! There certainly is a group of helpful and very knowledgeable people on
                this list.

                With appreciation,

                Linda Adam