Alexander Birnie 1790 - Parents

  • Linda Adam
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2002
      Dear Wade,

      I am hoping you can be of assistance with the following:

      Alexander Birnie: Bap. 26.10.1790, Peterhead, Occ. Wright
      Married: 02.06.1810, Peterhead
      Spouse: Fanny (Francis) Henry, b. 1775 , d. 1861 Peterhead, Ref # 150

      Children all born Peterhead:
      Margaret,b.1813
      Alexander,b. 22.04.1815 d. aft 1881
      Fanny, b. 1818
      Jane,b. 1820
      Mary, b. 1823

      Would you be able to provide names of the parents for Alexander Birnie, born
      1790. I believe they may be Robert Birnie, bap. 28.10.1741, Rathen and
      Euphemia Rose, born abut 1745, ?.
      Fanny's parents are Alexander Henry and ? West.

      From Scots Origins I was able to locate Alexander and Fanny's marriage with
      the following OPR reference; 232 / 2 / 1.

      Any help from yourself or another List member would be gratefully
      appreciated as this is a real brick wall I've hit.

      With thanks,
      Linda Adam
      Ontario, Canada

    • Betty Mathers
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2002
        Linda Adam wrote:
        Hi Linda,
        Re your enquiry about the family of Robert Birnie & Euphemia Rose or
        Ross.
        I believe the family are as follows:
        1. William B chr 6 May 1770
        2. Francis B chr 16 Dec 1771
        3. James B chr 10 Aug 1777
        4. Catherine B chr 23 Nov 1779
        5. George B chr 14 April 1782
        6. Robert B chr 10 Jul 1784
        7. John B chr 10 July 1784
        8. Hugh B chr 5 Aug, 1785
        None of the above family appear to have been born in Peterhead.
        I have the family of Robert Birnie more or less down to the present day
        and cannot find any Alexander married to a Fanny Henry.
        Sorry I have not been able to send you better news.
        Have you any other information about the Birnies that may help to
        identify yours with this family.
        Regards Betty
      • don.esslemont@paradise.net.nz
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2002
          Betty Mathers wrote:

          > ... I have the family of Robert Birnie more or less down to the
          > present day ...

          Do you have any information on Christian Birnie, born about 1846 in
          Rathen, who on 30 December 1871 married an Andrew Esslemont?

          Regards,

          Don

          Don Esslemont, Director
          Decision Research Ltd, Box 5530 Wellington New Zealand
          Phone: (64 4) 499 2040 Fax: (64 4) 499 2080
          Mobile: (64 2) 144 8769 Home:(64 6) 325 8409
          email: don@... http://www.decision.co.nz
        • Betty Mathers
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 18, 2002
            don.esslemont@... wrote:
            Hi Don,
            Sorry I haven't one Christian Birnie in all the families I have.
            Do you know who her parents were.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 18, 2002
              Betty Mathers wrote:

              > Sorry I haven't one Christian Birnie in all the families I have.
              > Do you know who her parents were?

              All we know about her origins is that the 1881 census shows her as
              aged 35, and born in Rathen. The only clue to her parentage is that
              her first child was named Charles - not recorded in the ancestry of
              her husband Andrew - so this may have been the name of her father, or
              a brother.

              I'll let you know if I ever come across any more about her, and I'd
              be grateful for anything you may learn.