Re: [Peterhead] General help re: Birth & Christening Records

  • dmatt
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2002
      William,

      I received the Christening records of Thomas Knox (04/11/1813) and his son
      >James Knox (12/25/1835) from LDS. They only state Peterhead, too. How can
      >I find the actual birth dates?

      At this time Christening records do not always have a birth date as well. In
      most cases the Christening would occur within three months of the birth. If
      you know the exact location of the family in 1851 then it can be
      cross-checked with the 1851 census which says within one year the year of
      birth. The 1841 census unfortunately were rounded up or down to the nearest
      5 years.

      David Matthew