General help re: Birth & Christening Records

  • Knox III, William V.
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2002
      I received the Christening records of Thomas Knox (04/11/1813) and his son
      James Knox (12/25/1835) from LDS. They only state Peterhead, too. How can
      I find the actual birth dates?

      William V. Knox III
      Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
      2100 McKinney Avenue, Suite 1100
      Dallas, Texas 75201-6911
      (214) 698-3163 (Office Direct)
      (214) 698-3400 (Fax)
      Email: wknox@...

      This message may contain confidential and privileged information. If it has been sent to you in error, please reply to advise the sender of the error and then immediately delete this message.
      "PLEASE NOTE: Our e-mail and web site address has changed to gibsondunn.com"

    • dmatt
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2002
        William,

        I received the Christening records of Thomas Knox (04/11/1813) and his son
        >James Knox (12/25/1835) from LDS. They only state Peterhead, too. How can
        >I find the actual birth dates?

        At this time Christening records do not always have a birth date as well. In
        most cases the Christening would occur within three months of the birth. If
        you know the exact location of the family in 1851 then it can be
        cross-checked with the 1851 census which says within one year the year of
        birth. The 1841 census unfortunately were rounded up or down to the nearest
        5 years.

        David Matthew