Re: [Peterhead] Alexander Scroggie

  • Donna Callaghan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2002
      Dear David,

      No sorry, I do not have any information on Alexander Scroggie (other
      than he married my great-grandmother's sister, Sarah Morrice of Cruden
      Bay, and they went to Canada.

      I will try and find out where and when they were married and hopefully
      get more information on Alexander there.

      Thank you for the information from the Scots Origins site and perhaps we
      will 'meet' again in the future when we have both more information.

      Donna
      Australia

      matt wrote:

      > Donna,
      >
      > my granduncle William Center's first wife was a Scroggie but I have not got
      > around to that side yet.
      >
      > I had a look on the Scots Origins site and there is a Alexander William
      > Scroggie said on the 1891 census as being born in Peterhead in 1879 to
      > Alexander and Sarah Scroggie (this would seem to Sarah Geddes and they were
      > married in
      > Peterhead in 1863), a number of the children appear to be missing. There is
      > Margaret born in 1863/4, Mary Ann in 1866/7, Sarah J in 1869/70. So a number
      > of the children may have died before 1881. However there is no sign of the
      > family in 1891.
      >
      > Do you have Alexander's father's name.
      >
      > Hopes this helps.
      >
      > The Scots Origins website is at http://www.origins.net/GRO/
      >
      > David

    • Donna Callaghan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2002
        Hi Sharon,

        I did see this family on the 1881 census, but I thought there might be
        too many girls for it to be the same family as mine. The photo I have,
        taken about 1905, is of Alexander Scroggie Jnr and his wife Sarah
        Morrice and 2 other Scroggie men. One of them could be Alexander Snr I
        suppose, but in your family there are no other sons.

        What I know about my Alexander Scroggie: He and Sarah Morrice (born born
        25 January 1885 in Cruden) were married in Scotland, adopted a son named
        Ferguson in Scotland, and emigrated to Canada.

        Another Morrice family member (who is still fit and well at age 95!)
        visited Sarah and her family in Canada in the 50's. She recalls that
        they were a different religion to most of other Morrices. Usually the
        Morrice family members were Presbyterian, but Alexander and Sarah were a
        stricter religion and she thought it was Brethren. I am not sure if
        this was Alexander's religion or if they took up this religion in
        Canada.

        I will send you the Scroggie photo off list. They are a dashing lot!

        Donna
        Australia

        > Hi Donna,
        >
        > I have found five children for Alexander and Sarah :
        > Margaret b: July 2,1863 Peterhead
        > Mary Anne b: Nov. 15,1866 Peterhead
        > Sarah Jane b: Sept 10,1869 Ellon
        > Alexander W. b: 1880 Peterhead
        > Williamina b: Oct.22,1874 Peterhead ( she was not listed on the 1881 census )
        > It's quite possible, we could have a match.
        >
        > Sharon
      • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2002
          Donna Callaghan wrote:

          > Hi Sharon,
          >
          > I did see this family on the 1881 census, but I thought there might be
          > too many girls for it to be the same family as mine. The photo I have,
          > taken about 1905, is of Alexander Scroggie Jnr and his wife Sarah
          > Morrice and 2 other Scroggie men. One of them could be Alexander Snr I
          > suppose, but in your family there are no other sons.
          >
          > What I know about my Alexander Scroggie: He and Sarah Morrice (born born
          > 25 January 1885 in Cruden) were married in Scotland, adopted a son named
          > Ferguson in Scotland, and emigrated to Canada.
          >
          > Another Morrice family member (who is still fit and well at age 95!)
          > visited Sarah and her family in Canada in the 50's. She recalls that
          > they were a different religion to most of other Morrices. Usually the
          > Morrice family members were Presbyterian, but Alexander and Sarah were a
          > stricter religion and she thought it was Brethren. I am not sure if
          > this was Alexander's religion or if they took up this religion in
          > Canada.
          >
          > I will send you the Scroggie photo off list. They are a dashing lot!
          >
          > Donna
          > Australia
          >

          > > Hi Donna,
          > >
          > > I have found five children for Alexander and Sarah :
          > > Margaret b: July 2,1863 Peterhead
          > > Mary Anne b: Nov. 15,1866 Peterhead
          > > Sarah Jane b: Sept 10,1869 Ellon
          > > Alexander W. b: 1880 Peterhead
          > > Williamina b: Oct.22,1874 Peterhead ( she was not listed on the 1881 census )
          Hi, your message touched off some memories! I have no connection to the
          Scroggie family--BUT-I was brought up in the Plymouth Brethren
          Assemblies. The name Alexander Scroggie is one I heard. I have a lot of
          my fathers & Grandfathers old books. If you wish I will look and see
          what I can find. Peterhead had of course its share of problems from the
          VERY strict lines of these Assemblies-as they were know as rather than
          churches. Betty.
        • S.J.Inkster
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2002
            Hi Betty,
            I would appreciate any tidbits you may be able to find.
            Where is the Plymouth Brethren Assemblies ?
            Sharon