Alexander Scroggie

  • Donna Callaghan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2002
      Is anyone researching the Scroggie family or do you have an Alexander
      Scroggie in your family tree?

      I do not have his birthdate but it would have been approximately 1880.
      Alexander married Sarah Morrice of Cruden. She was born 25 Jan 1885 and
      they look much the same age in photos. They emigrated to Canada and had
      a son named Ferguson, but that is all I have.

      I noticed there was a 1 year old Alexander Scroggie of Peterhead in the
      1881 census, so thought I'd ask.

      Thank you,

      Donna
      Australia
    • dmatt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2002
        Donna,

        my granduncle William Center's first wife was a Scroggie but I have not got
        around to that side yet.

        I had a look on the Scots Origins site and there is a Alexander William
        Scroggie said on the 1891 census as being born in Peterhead in 1879 to
        Alexander and Sarah Scroggie (this would seem to Sarah Geddes and they were
        married in
        Peterhead in 1863), a number of the children appear to be missing. There is
        Margaret born in 1863/4, Mary Ann in 1866/7, Sarah J in 1869/70. So a number
        of the children may have died before 1881. However there is no sign of the
        family in 1891.

        Do you have Alexander's father's name.

        Hopes this helps.

        The Scots Origins website is at http://www.origins.net/GRO/

        David
        >Is anyone researching the Scroggie family or do you have an Alexander
        >Scroggie in your family tree?
        >
        >I do not have his birthdate but it would have been approximately 1880.
        >Alexander married Sarah Morrice of Cruden. She was born 25 Jan 1885 and
        >they look much the same age in photos. They emigrated to Canada and had
        >a son named Ferguson, but that is all I have.
        >
        >I noticed there was a 1 year old Alexander Scroggie of Peterhead in the
        >1881 census, so thought I'd ask.
        >
        >Thank you,
        >
        >Donna
        >Australia
        >

        >Peterhead Genealogy at http://axs.com.au/~wsb/

      • Donna Callaghan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2002
          Dear David,

          No sorry, I do not have any information on Alexander Scroggie (other
          than he married my great-grandmother's sister, Sarah Morrice of Cruden
          Bay, and they went to Canada.

          I will try and find out where and when they were married and hopefully
          get more information on Alexander there.

          Thank you for the information from the Scots Origins site and perhaps we
          will 'meet' again in the future when we have both more information.

          Donna
          Australia

          matt wrote:

          > Donna,
          >
          > my granduncle William Center's first wife was a Scroggie but I have not got
          > around to that side yet.
          >
          > I had a look on the Scots Origins site and there is a Alexander William
          > Scroggie said on the 1891 census as being born in Peterhead in 1879 to
          > Alexander and Sarah Scroggie (this would seem to Sarah Geddes and they were
          > married in
          > Peterhead in 1863), a number of the children appear to be missing. There is
          > Margaret born in 1863/4, Mary Ann in 1866/7, Sarah J in 1869/70. So a number
          > of the children may have died before 1881. However there is no sign of the
          > family in 1891.
          >
          > Do you have Alexander's father's name.
          >
          > Hopes this helps.
          >
          > The Scots Origins website is at http://www.origins.net/GRO/
          >
          > David

        • Donna Callaghan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2002
            Hi Sharon,

            I did see this family on the 1881 census, but I thought there might be
            too many girls for it to be the same family as mine. The photo I have,
            taken about 1905, is of Alexander Scroggie Jnr and his wife Sarah
            Morrice and 2 other Scroggie men. One of them could be Alexander Snr I
            suppose, but in your family there are no other sons.

            What I know about my Alexander Scroggie: He and Sarah Morrice (born born
            25 January 1885 in Cruden) were married in Scotland, adopted a son named
            Ferguson in Scotland, and emigrated to Canada.

            Another Morrice family member (who is still fit and well at age 95!)
            visited Sarah and her family in Canada in the 50's. She recalls that
            they were a different religion to most of other Morrices. Usually the
            Morrice family members were Presbyterian, but Alexander and Sarah were a
            stricter religion and she thought it was Brethren. I am not sure if
            this was Alexander's religion or if they took up this religion in
            Canada.

            I will send you the Scroggie photo off list. They are a dashing lot!

            Donna
            Australia

            > Hi Donna,
            >
            > I have found five children for Alexander and Sarah :
            > Margaret b: July 2,1863 Peterhead
            > Mary Anne b: Nov. 15,1866 Peterhead
            > Sarah Jane b: Sept 10,1869 Ellon
            > Alexander W. b: 1880 Peterhead
            > Williamina b: Oct.22,1874 Peterhead ( she was not listed on the 1881 census )
            > It's quite possible, we could have a match.
            >
            > Sharon
          • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 8, 2002
              Donna Callaghan wrote:

              > Hi Sharon,
              >
              > I did see this family on the 1881 census, but I thought there might be
              > too many girls for it to be the same family as mine. The photo I have,
              > taken about 1905, is of Alexander Scroggie Jnr and his wife Sarah
              > Morrice and 2 other Scroggie men. One of them could be Alexander Snr I
              > suppose, but in your family there are no other sons.
              >
              > What I know about my Alexander Scroggie: He and Sarah Morrice (born born
              > 25 January 1885 in Cruden) were married in Scotland, adopted a son named
              > Ferguson in Scotland, and emigrated to Canada.
              >
              > Another Morrice family member (who is still fit and well at age 95!)
              > visited Sarah and her family in Canada in the 50's. She recalls that
              > they were a different religion to most of other Morrices. Usually the
              > Morrice family members were Presbyterian, but Alexander and Sarah were a
              > stricter religion and she thought it was Brethren. I am not sure if
              > this was Alexander's religion or if they took up this religion in
              > Canada.
              >
              > I will send you the Scroggie photo off list. They are a dashing lot!
              >
              > Donna
              > Australia
              >

              > > Hi Donna,
              > >
              > > I have found five children for Alexander and Sarah :
              > > Margaret b: July 2,1863 Peterhead
              > > Mary Anne b: Nov. 15,1866 Peterhead
              > > Sarah Jane b: Sept 10,1869 Ellon
              > > Alexander W. b: 1880 Peterhead
              > > Williamina b: Oct.22,1874 Peterhead ( she was not listed on the 1881 census )
              Hi, your message touched off some memories! I have no connection to the
              Scroggie family--BUT-I was brought up in the Plymouth Brethren
              Assemblies. The name Alexander Scroggie is one I heard. I have a lot of
              my fathers & Grandfathers old books. If you wish I will look and see
              what I can find. Peterhead had of course its share of problems from the
              VERY strict lines of these Assemblies-as they were know as rather than
              churches. Betty.
            • S.J.Inkster
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2002
                Hi Betty,
                I would appreciate any tidbits you may be able to find.
                Where is the Plymouth Brethren Assemblies ?
                Sharon