"Old Inverugie"

  • Ken May
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 1998
      Wade,

      Over the weekend, I uncovered this delightful book called "Old
      Inverugie", presented to Jessie Williamson May by James (?) Shivas of
      46 Queen Street, Peterhead, on Sept 24th, 1912, on the occasion of her
      visit to Peterhead. It is the text, with accompanying photographs, of
      a lecture delivered to the Peterhead Mutual Improvement Society by
      William Boyd F.R.S.E. on Tuesday, 24th February, 1885. It was printed
      in 1885 by the "East Aberdeenshire Observer" Office and W.L. Taylor.

      I don't know about copyright law and there are no copyright statements
      in the booklet, so I wondered if it was of benefit to scan and post in
      text format with the photos as attachments. If there is merit, let me
      know.

      Regards

      Ken May
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 1998
        Hi Ken,

        Ken May wrote:

        > Over the weekend, I uncovered this delightful book called "Old
        > Inverugie", presented to Jessie Williamson May by James (?) Shivas of
        > 46 Queen Street, Peterhead, on Sept 24th, 1912, on the occasion of her
        > visit to Peterhead. It is the text, with accompanying photographs, of
        > a lecture delivered to the Peterhead Mutual Improvement Society by
        > William Boyd F.R.S.E. on Tuesday, 24th February, 1885. It was printed
        > in 1885 by the "East Aberdeenshire Observer" Office and W.L. Taylor.
        >
        > I don't know about copyright law and there are no copyright statements
        > in the booklet, so I wondered if it was of benefit to scan and post in
        > text format with the photos as attachments. If there is merit, let me
        > know.

        I would love a copy if possible. However, I don't think it would be a
        good idea to put it on this list. Some people get this list in digest
        mode, so don't get attachments and we also need to remember that others
        pay for timed calls. If this causes any problems, as I understand
        sending it to the list is the easiest way, then I could send on to
        others that are interested.

        Thank you very much for the kind offer.

        Regards, Wade.
      • Judy Hand
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 1998
          Ken May wrote:

          > From: Ken May <kenjmay@...>
          >
          > Wade,
          >
          > Over the weekend, I uncovered this delightful book called "Old
          > Inverugie", presented to Jessie Williamson May by James (?) Shivas of
          > 46 Queen Street, Peterhead, on Sept 24th, 1912, on the occasion of her
          > visit to Peterhead. It is the text, with accompanying photographs, of
          > a lecture delivered to the Peterhead Mutual Improvement Society by
          > William Boyd F.R.S.E. on Tuesday, 24th February, 1885. It was printed
          > in 1885 by the "East Aberdeenshire Observer" Office and W.L. Taylor.
          >
          > I don't know about copyright law and there are no copyright statements
          > in the booklet, so I wondered if it was of benefit to scan and post in
          > text format with the photos as attachments. If there is merit, let me
          > know.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Ken May
          >
          > Dear Ken,

          The address you mention, i.e.46 Queen Street, Peterhead, caught my
          attention as my ancestor, Eliza Stewart Leslie, died at 35 Queen Street
          in 1883. The name Williamson was her mother's maiden name, so there
          could be a family connection between Jessie Williamson May and Eliza.
          One of her sons named his daughter Jessie, so it could all tie in.

          Would it be possible to have a copy of the article? If it were an
          address given in 1885 it would relate to the time the family was living
          in Peterhead, and I would be very interested. If you could scan it and
          send it that would be great - otherwise, I can always send a stamped,
          addressed envelope!

          I look forward to hearing from you.

          Kind regards,
          Judy Hand
          Auckland NZ

          ������
        • susan willilamson
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 9, 1999
            Dear Ken, I'm on the Peterhead list searching Williamsons--who is this
            Jessie Williamson and do you have any data on her?

            Sue Williamson
            Bellingham, WA

            >Over the weekend, I uncovered this delightful book called "Old
            >Inverugie", presented to Jessie Williamson May by James (?) Shivas of
            >46 Queen Street, Peterhead, on Sept 24th, 1912, on the occasion of her
            >visit to Peterhead. It is the text, with accompanying photographs, of
            >a lecture delivered to the Peterhead Mutual Improvement Society by
            >William Boyd F.R.S.E. on Tuesday, 24th February, 1885. It was printed
            >in 1885 by the "East Aberdeenshire Observer" Office and W.L. Taylor.
            >
            >I don't know about copyright law and there are no copyright statements
            >in the booklet, so I wondered if it was of benefit to scan and post in
            >text format with the photos as attachments. If there is merit, let me
            >know.
            >
            >Regards
            >
            >Ken May

          • Ken May
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 19, 1999
              Susan,

              Jessie Williamson May was my grandfather's sister. John Alexander May
              was born in Peterhead and his father, John May, emigrated to New
              Zealand in the mid-1880's. My own question is why was Jessie given
              the second name of Williamson, when them family trend seems to have
              been to use family names for second names, e.g. John May married Janet
              (or Jannet) Milne and my uncle was named John Milne May, etc..

              At the moment, I am working 400 km away from my home PC and so replies
              may only occur at weekends, and only then if my wife lets me come home
              for the weekend (joke).

              Regards

              Ken