Re: [Peterhead] Shivas

  • Elisabeth Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 13, 2001
      At 01:44 pm 13/12/2001, you wrote:
      >They had the name of a photography
      >studio, J. Shivas & Son, 46 Queen Street, Peterhead. Is anyone aware of
      >this old photo studio or of this Shivas family?

      Our family has some photographs done by James Shivas, so in an attempt to
      date them I asked about him at the Arbuthnot Library when I was in
      Peterhead. They replied, quoting from a book called A Peterhead Portrait
      by Jim Buchan, which has lots of photos and their provenance. They wrote:

      Studios and dates for James Shivas:
      Jamaica Street 1857
      41 Broad Street 1857 (as Henderson and Shivas)
      Mid Street, Fraserburgh 1858
      40 Foot of Broad Street 1859
      [itinerant photographer for a few years]
      40 Broad Street 1862 (later that year at 41 Foot of Broad Street)
      59 Broad Street 1863-66
      32 Queen Street 1866-67
      63 Queen Street 1867- (still there in 1877)
      46 Queen Street (there by 1890 - also J Shivas & Son - and up to 1925 when
      taken over by Foubister)

      There are heaps of photos by him in the above-mentioned book. I'm not sure
      if it's still in print.

      Good luck with your searching.

      Elisabeth Wilson

      Elisabeth Wilson
      South Hobart, Tasmania
      researching GORDON GIBB YOUNG SPENCE PAUL MURRISON CRAIG DAVIDSON