Shivas

  • Donna Callaghan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2001
      I have recently returned from a trip to New Zealand to visit some
      newly-discovered relatives. They had some old photos which I had not
      seen.

      Some of the photos of my great-great-grandmother, Jessie Shivas (born 26
      Oct 1844) were studio-type photos. They had the name of a photography
      studio, J. Shivas & Son, 46 Queen Street, Peterhead. Is anyone aware of
      this old photo studio or of this Shivas family? At the time of the
      photos Jessie was married to Alexander Morrice and they lived in Cruden
      Bay.

      Jessie's father was John Shivas; he was a shoemaker. Jessie had two
      brothers whose first names began with the initial J. James was a draper
      so I know it was not him. I do not know anything about her other
      brother, John Shivas, except that he was born 5 May 1847.

      Thank you,

      Donna Callaghan
      Australia
    • Elisabeth Wilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2001
        At 01:44 pm 13/12/2001, you wrote:
        >They had the name of a photography
        >studio, J. Shivas & Son, 46 Queen Street, Peterhead. Is anyone aware of
        >this old photo studio or of this Shivas family?

        Our family has some photographs done by James Shivas, so in an attempt to
        date them I asked about him at the Arbuthnot Library when I was in
        Peterhead. They replied, quoting from a book called A Peterhead Portrait
        by Jim Buchan, which has lots of photos and their provenance. They wrote:

        Studios and dates for James Shivas:
        Jamaica Street 1857
        41 Broad Street 1857 (as Henderson and Shivas)
        Mid Street, Fraserburgh 1858
        40 Foot of Broad Street 1859
        [itinerant photographer for a few years]
        40 Broad Street 1862 (later that year at 41 Foot of Broad Street)
        59 Broad Street 1863-66
        32 Queen Street 1866-67
        63 Queen Street 1867- (still there in 1877)
        46 Queen Street (there by 1890 - also J Shivas & Son - and up to 1925 when
        taken over by Foubister)

        There are heaps of photos by him in the above-mentioned book. I'm not sure
        if it's still in print.

        Good luck with your searching.

        Elisabeth Wilson

        Elisabeth Wilson
        South Hobart, Tasmania
        researching GORDON GIBB YOUNG SPENCE PAUL MURRISON CRAIG DAVIDSON