[Peterhead]Interests.

  • May Garson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2001
      I have just joined the group and as suggested I will begin by listing my
      interests.
      I have a family of CHAPMAN JOSS
      ALEXANDER CHAPMAN married an ISABELLA JOSS in Peterhead 15/1/1835.
      ALEXANDER, seaman, b abt 1810 in Banff to Alexander Chapman and Agnes
      Morrison
      ISABELLA b about 1809 in Marnoch to Walter Joss and Mary McKay
      They had 9 children, all b in Peterhead.
      The children were ANNE b 17/9/1837
      AGNES b 13/7/1839
      ISABELLA b 11/10/1841
      HELEN c 03/12/1843
      ALEXANDER b 11/10/1845
      BARBARA c 5/8/1847
      JOHN HENRY b 31/8/1849
      JAMES CHAPMAN b before 1851
      JAMES JOSS b 1/12/1851 (my ggrandfather)

      I have no other information on the first four girls, but have
      information on the others.

      The second family is DALGARNO and WILLOX
      ISABELLA WILLOX was b abt 1829 in Crimmond., m Henry Dalgarno c
      15/7/1828 in Peterhead.
      They had nine children, George, James, Sophia, Henry, Isabella, Agnes,
      William, Barbara, and Andrew. I have some information on the parents and
      some of the children.

      Before marrying Henry, Isabella had a daughter JESSIE BRUCE, father a
      John Bruce. (Jessie is my ggrandmother)
      JESSIE was b abt 1847 in Peterhead. In a census she stated Strichen.
      I have checked the Kirk Session records for Peterhead, Strichen,
      Crimmond and there is no record of any censure by the church etc.
      Actually I found Isabella in the Peterhead records, pregnant out of
      wedlock to Henry Dalgarno who confessed to being the father and they
      were duly married!
      I would dearly love to find this JOHN BRUCE. I have one who was born in
      Fergus, Banff and I thought it might be him. He would have been in
      Peterhead at the time and was a coachman. Jessie married a coach
      painter. However I have yet to find Jessie. She wasn't with John Bruce
      in 1851 and I haven't been able to find her with Isabella.

      These are my interests in Peterhead. I would gladly share what
      information I have on any of the above folks and I would love to hear
      from anyone who might be able to shed light on the whereabouts of Jessie
      before she married in Aberdeen in 1867.

      May Garson in Ottawa, Canada
      Ex Aberdonian!