Episcopalian records

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 2001
      Here are some further look ups from the Peterhead Episcopalian records:-

      For DeLories:

      CHEYNE:
      1777, November 29: Alexander CHEYNE, butcher, had a daughter baptised
      named Mary. William ALEXANDER, Cooper, surety, present.

      1776, January 29: John CHEYNE, Mariner, had a daughter baptised named
      Anne.

      THOMSON
      1780, May 24: John THOMPSON, weaver, had a daughter baptised Sarah.

      (The later keeper of the records wasn’t so generous with his
      information!)

      For GRAY: There are listings for Alexander, Charlette, Grizel, John and
      Mary. Any particular one you are interested in?

      There was no mention of a NICOL.

      For Val Lowry:

      There were an awful lot of ARBURTHNOTS in Peterhead, so it would take me
      quite a while to write them all down. However, there were some listed
      in the little “who’s who” at the back of the register, and I list them
      below:-
      Andrew, shipmaster, wife, Anne Hepburn.
      Andrew, of Broadland, son, William.
      Anne, wife of William Scot, merchant.
      Christian, wife of Alexander Frazer, shipmaster, daug. Christian.
      Elspet, relict of Thomas Forbes,vintner (?).
      Grizel, wife of James Park, shipmaster, daugs. Elizabeth and Mary.,
      sons, Thomas and Robert.
      Isobel, wife of William Ferguson.
      James, merchant, wife, Elizabeth Gordon. Also recorded wife, Mary
      Balfour, daughters Christian and Margaret.
      James, of Aychcuck, daug. Jean.
      Margaret, wife of Robert Kilgour, minister.
      Margaret, wife of William Forbes, merhant.
      Margaret, wife of William Frazer.
      Nathaniel, merhcant, wife, Elizabeth Fraser.
      Robert, merchant, wife, Mary Petrie, daug. Elizabeth, son, Robert.
      Thomas, baillie, wife, Christian Young, daugs. Isobel and Margaret.
      Thomas, surgeon, daug. Mary.
      Thomas, snr. Son, Thomas, James.
      Thomas, jnr. Merchant, wife, Jean Cub, daugs. Ann and Mary.

      Also two surnames, no Christian names recorded.
      Relict, Elizabeth Duncan.
      Wife, Grizel Duncan.

      If there is anyone you want checked, please let me know fairly quickly,
      as the film has to go back.

      For Elizabeth Wilson:

      I know you asked for MURISON, but this may be of interest –

      1761, July 7: Robert MORISON, sadler, had a son baptised James.
      Thomas MORISON and James MORISON, factor to the Rt. Hon. Earl of
      Nithivdale, sureties.

      For Meilssa Ellis:

      There was no mention of YULES, GEARY or PRESSLEY, but there were quite a
      few ROBERTSONS. Could you be a bit more specific with the ones you
      want, or do you not know? I only have the use of the film for two more
      days.

      I can’t remember who asked about James SANGSTER, which I found in the
      parish records (not Episcopalian), so wrote it down. The entry read:

      1771, February 13th: James SANGSTER in Ashley Gale (?) had a child
      baptised before the congregation named James.

      Hope the above helps,
      Judy
    • Jim Whittome
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2001
        > I can't remember who asked about James SANGSTER, which I found in the
        > parish records (not Episcopalian), so wrote it down. The entry read:
        >
        > 1771, February 13th: James SANGSTER in Ashley Gale (?) had a child
        > baptised before the congregation named James.
        Judy;
        Thanks for the information, I must have missed this entry when I was
        looking at the films.

        Jim Whittome
        Victoria, BC, Canada
        whittome@...