Doric

  • Ken May
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 8, 2001
      Can anyone translate the following, from the Booklet
      "Old Inverugie", from the Peterhead Improvement
      Society, of 1885?

      The King he turned him roon about,
      An� a laich lauch leuch he,
      An� he said, Yiri Marischal, but for my aith,
      Heich hangit ye sud be.

      I have copied the text and photos into an MS Word 97
      Document (approx 500kB). If anyone is looking for it,
      not for publication, but for reference, just ask.

      Regards

      Ken May

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • olorosoo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 8, 2001
        I can transalte it, but it loses a lot in the process!

        the King turned round
        and gave a low laugh
        and said "If it wasn't for my oath, your Marischal would be hanged high"

      • olorosoo@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2001
          Oops. Sent unfinished (and wrong) translation by wrong click - ignore it.
          This is what I think it means.

          The King turned round and gave a low laugh, and said
          "If it weren't for my oath, Marischal, you should be hanged high"

        • Ken May
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 8, 2001
            Thanks for that.

            Ken May