Quarries

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2001
      For Betty Miles :

      Betty,
      The largest quarries in the area were around Boddam, just south of Peterhead (Still in Peterhead Parish). There they quarried the famous red Peterhead granite. They may well have attracted people from other areas with the relevant skills.
      I do know that a significant number of quarriers from Boddam emigrated to Vermont to work in the quarries there. Particularly around Barre, Vermont.
      I guess this is not a lot of help to you.
      Best Regards................................................Alex Ritchie

    • olorosoo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2001
        Alex
        Betty

        I found an interesting contemporary account (link below) with a picture about
        the Stirlinghill quarry which seems to have used convict, presumably as well
        as other, labour in extracting the stone for the building of the breakwater
        and the prison itself. The prison is still there of course, an imposing
        structure, housing about 300 men.

        http://www.fraserburgh.org.uk/History/buchanline/hmp/Heritage-Web-Site/Hndout-

        text-HTML/Quarry/Quarry%20Intro.htm

        Fiona Hird