Episcopal Records

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 7, 2001
      For Judy Hand :

      Judy, thanks for your response on George Buchan etc.
      You've given me a lot of good information.

      Best Regards...................................................Alex Ritchie

    • colin collie
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 7, 2001
        >From: "Alex Ritchie" <alex@...>
        >To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [Peterhead] Episcopal Records
        >Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 18:14:20 +0100
        >
        >For Judy Hand :
        >
        >Judy, thanks for your response on George Buchan etc.
        > You've given me a lot of good information.
        >
        > Best
        >Regards...................................................Alex Ritchie

        Hi Alex or Judy
        I missed the information on the above could you send me a copy of same

        Colin

      • Alex Ritchie
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
          For Margaret Hector :

          Hi Margaret,
          No, the Episcopal Records are the records of the Scottish Episcopal Church. The Church of Scotland (the "official" state religion of Scotland) is Presbyterian.
          The Aberdeen & N.E.Scotland FHS has some Episcopal Birth and Marriage records transcribed but only for a limited period (I think from about 1820 to 1850). Most Episcopalians still registered their births & marriages in the Parish Records which were the preserve of the Church of Scotland. But, in my experience, I have found the Episcopal Records to have more detail than the Parish Records. Unfortunately, the Episcopal Records are not as readily accessible being held in the Scottish Records Office (or National Archives as it is now known). I don't know if, for example, St.Peters Church in Peterhead would still hold all their own original records......maybe other subscribers to the Forum might know ??

          The North East of Scotland was always of stronghold of the Episcopalian Church and many of the wealthier families of Peterhead were of that persuasion (largely a product of the North East's previous Jacobite sympathies).

          Best Regards................................Alex Ritchie

        • Margaret Hector
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2003
            Dear Alex,
            Thank you for this information. Perhaps someone on the forum might know if St. Peters Church in Peterhead still holds its own records.
            I am hoping that somebody may know if there are burial records for William Boyd who died in Peterhead in 1860.
            Kind regards
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 15, 2003
              Hi Margaret,

              Can't tell you if the Church still holds the records, but an index created by Archibald Maxwell as been filmed.

              Register of Baptisms, "Episcopalian" Peterhead 1738 - 1788, complied by Archibald Strath Maxwell, LDS film number 874218 item 4.

              The burial record will not be in the Episcopal records, but the Peterhead Registrar will have the burial record, knowing the date of death you will be able to get the lair record.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 18, 2003
                Thank you Wade for the information.
                I will contact the Peterhead Registrar for details of the burial and lair records.
                I do appreciate being able to access the Peterhead group.