Re: [Peterhead] Episcopalian Records

  • olorosoo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 6, 2001
      Elizabeth

      that's an interesting point about migration. My ancestor John Coull was born
      in Buckie, in Banffshire, moving to Peterhead at some point in the early
      1800s. Most of north east Scotland was affected by famine in the late 18th
      century, so perhaps people moved to the coast where fishing would supplement
      crops - it would be interesting to know the population trends in these areas.
      Clearances tended to be in the areas where there was less arable farming and
      more scope for sheep - ie the Highlands rather than the Lowlands.

      There's a fascinating book "A guide to Scottish population history from the
      17th century to the 1930s" edited by Michael Flinn and published by
      Cambridge University Press in 1977 whcih deals with some of these issues and
      lots more besides. I think it is out of print - I had borrowed it from a
      friend but had to return it.

      regards

      Fiona
      researching: Coull, Cordiner, Sandy, Sykes, Alexander

    • Barbara Willoughby
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 7, 2001
        Dear Judy,

        Just wanted to say thank you sooooo much for looking
        for my family and for taking up your valuable time.
        Lets hope I can return the favour sometime

        Barbara

        http://im.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 22, 2011

          Hi Keith,

          There are some Aberdeenshire Episcopalian records that have survived and indexed.

          For example:

          Register of Baptisms ‘Espiscopalian’, Peterhead, Scotland 1738-1788, indexed by Archibald Strath Maxwell.  I think the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS have these, can’t remember if they re-published.  They have also been filmed by the LDS which is where I first obtained the records (I have film numbers 874218 item 4 and 933436, you will need to check which is correct, Book 941.25/P1 V26p).

          Peterhead index has:

          Baigrie Elizabeth Petrie page 49

          Robert page 49

          No Sutherland

          Sorry don’t have page 49 for actual entry.

          From a quick Google search of Archibald Strath Maxwell:

          Registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, St. Mary's Episcopal, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, 1842-1929  St. Mary's Episcopal Church (Inverurie, Aberdeen)

          Baptisms of St. John's Episcopal Church, Aberdeen, 1778-1855

          Register of baptisms, marriages and deaths, 1799-1911  Portsoy Episcopal Church (Banffshire, Scotland)

          Registers of baptisms, Episcopalian Church, Peterhead, Scotland, 1738- 1788  Maxwell, Archibald Strath

          Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of the Episcopal congregation at Lonmay, Aberdeen, Scotland, 1727-1854  Maxwell, Archibald Strath

          Register of baptisms, 1778-1855  St. John's Episcopal Church (Aberdeen, Scotland)

          Baptisms and marriages, Trinity Chapel (Episcopal), Aberdeen, Scotland, v. 1. 1753-1770 -- v. 2. 1770-1803.

          The registers of the Episcopal Congregation, Fraserburgh, Diocese of Aberdeen & Orkney, Scotland, 1766-1884

          The registers of St. James the Great, Episcopal Chapel, Stonehaven, Kincardineshire, Scotland, 1758-1880

          The registers of St. James the Less, Episcopal Chapel, Cruden, Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney, Scotland, 1807-1870

          The registers of St. John the Baptist Episcopal Chapel, Drumlithie, Kincardineshire, Scotland, 1769-1883

          St. Andrew's Episcopal Chapel, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland, 1723-1752

          Regards,

          Wade.

          Message 4 of 13 , May 22, 2011
            Hi, these books are available in Aberdeenshire Libraries.The headquarters in Old Meldrum have copies of them all & can do look ups.

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Buchan" <wsb@...> wrote:

            > Hi Keith,
            >

            > There are some Aberdeenshire Episcopalian records that have survived and
            > indexed.
            >

            > For example:
            >
            > Register of Baptisms 'Espiscopalian', Peterhead, Scotland 1738-1788, indexed
            > by Archibald Strath Maxwell. I think the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS have
            > these, can't remember if they re-published. They have also been filmed by
            > the LDS which is where I first obtained the records (I have film numbers
            > 874218 item 4 and 933436, you will need to check which is correct, Book
            > 941.25/P1 V26p).
            >

            > Peterhead index has:
            >
            > Baigrie Elizabeth Petrie page 49
            >
            > Robert page 49
            >

            > No Sutherland
            >

            > Sorry don't have page 49 for actual entry.
            >

            > From a quick Google search of Archibald Strath Maxwell:
            >
            > Registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, St. Mary's Episcopal, Inverurie,
            > Aberdeenshire, Scotland, 1842-1929 St. Mary's Episcopal Church (Inverurie,
            > Aberdeen)
            >
            > Baptisms of St. John's Episcopal Church, Aberdeen, 1778-1855
            >
            > Register of baptisms, marriages and deaths, 1799-1911 Portsoy Episcopal
            > Church (Banffshire, Scotland)
            >
            > Registers of baptisms, Episcopalian Church, Peterhead, Scotland, 1738- 1788
            > Maxwell, Archibald Strath
            >
            > Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of the Episcopal congregation at Lonmay,
            > Aberdeen, Scotland, 1727-1854 Maxwell, Archibald Strath
            >
            > Register of baptisms, 1778-1855 St. John's Episcopal Church (Aberdeen,
            > Scotland)
            >
            > Baptisms and marriages, Trinity Chapel (Episcopal), Aberdeen, Scotland, v.
            > 1. 1753-1770 -- v. 2. 1770-1803.
            >
            > The registers of the Episcopal Congregation, Fraserburgh, Diocese of
            > Aberdeen & Orkney, Scotland, 1766-1884
            >
            > The registers of St. James the Great, Episcopal Chapel, Stonehaven,
            > Kincardineshire, Scotland, 1758-1880
            >
            > The registers of St. James the Less, Episcopal Chapel, Cruden, Diocese of
            > Aberdeen and Orkney, Scotland, 1807-1870
            >
            > The registers of St. John the Baptist Episcopal Chapel, Drumlithie,
            > Kincardineshire, Scotland, 1769-1883
            >
            > St. Andrew's Episcopal Chapel, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland, 1723-1752
            >

            > Regards,
            >
            > Wade.

          • Keith Baigrie
            Message 5 of 13 , May 26, 2011
              Many thanks Wade and Flss1 for their very kind assistance with my long time dillemer with this Robert Baigrie. For "dillema" read my fingernails now slowly scratching down the brick wall of defeat!

              The (Episcopalian) Rev John Skinner longtime Vicar at Longside said in an ode about him, "that he (Robert) hailed from Buchan" And he would have undoubtedly known. I have deduced that he must have been born around 1745 can't find his birth though?.. He was sent to sea as a cabin boy ( usually about aged 10 or so). According to the Rev. Sage in Memorabilia Domestica, he went to the Arctic and the deprivation he suffered caused him never to leave food at the table, however bad. He progressed to being a Master Mariner on West Indiamen ( a large heavily armed merchantmen), sailing from London to Jamaica. In 1780 in London he married a Jane Haddon, a daughter of a another M/Mariner and Thames Pilot George Haddon, recorded at St Georges East parish (recorded as "Baigne"). They had a daughter also Jane BaigrieBorn 1781 (Said to be the 1st record of Baigrie in London. Hmm). Sadly I can find no record of his wife's death (or anything else?) I presume she died in childbirth poor thing. I also wondered if it was at sea? The baby Jane was christened at St Georges East at 11 days old.

              Around this time off Jamaica French Pirates had already captured some British ships from a huge convoy sailing under Royal Navy orders. It was reported the "Capt Baigrie quickly set sail and captured the Pirates ships and their prizes.(So later presumably, a bit of a financial result there).He then retired back to Scotland to live life as a gentleman.  As the Rev Sage recalled he having first been at Rora Mill in Longside (Was this his parents house I wonder). I surmised he must have 'hailed' from somewhere near as the Rev Skinner was there at the time and they were friends for the rest of their lives. He moving to 'Midgarty' eventually taking over the lease of this big farm/ estate in Sutherland and married Willamina Sutherland, (who's father had Midgarty before), and they had another 5 children. I know she was buried in Loth Churchyard, Sutherland, and Capt. Baigrie requested in his will to be buried beside her, However frustratingly I can find no record of any marriage or her death ( around 1795).

              So if anyone in our group, in their own researches, falls over any likely clues particularly to the birth of this Robert Baigrie I would really appreciate an email to ...keith.baigrie@....

              Thanks again for the help