Re: [Peterhead] George Buchan

  • colin collie
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2001
      >From: "Alex Ritchie" <alex@...>
      >To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [Peterhead] George Buchan
      >Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:49:39 +0100
      >
      >For Colin Collie,
      >
      >Colin,
      > Many thanks for the information on George Buchan and his wife
      >Eliza Innes. That's very interesting.
      > George Buchan had a daughter Jean who married a John Martin
      >(Sailor from Newburgh, Aberdeenshire). He was my
      >great-great-great-great grandfather on my mother's side of the family.
      >
      > As you probably know, George Buchan was (latterly) a harbour
      >pilot. Using the Episcopalian records, I made an "educated" guess that
      >George Buchan was born in 1746 and his father was a Robert Buchan. But I
      >have not found a way of proving this so far.
      >George Buchan also had a son George who married a Jean Martin and I think
      >she was, in fact, a sister of the above mentioned John Martin.
      > I think also that George Buchan had two other sons who drowned
      >on the whaler "Oscar" near Aberdeen. Again, I'm taking an "educated" guess
      >based upon dates and ages. But I think it's quite plausible.....maybe.
      >
      > How did you manage to find Eliza Innes's parentage ?
      >
      > Many THanks & Best
      >Regards.......................................................Alex Ritchie

      Hi Alex,
      The George Buchan who was married to Jean Martin they had a daughter
      Elizabeth who married an Alexander Foreman and their daughter Elizabeth
      Married a John Buchan who had a son James who was my Grandmother's Father.
      I got the information on the Innis from someone in the Family I can't
      remember who
      All the best
      Colin

    • colin collie
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2001
        >From: "colin collie" <crhc43@...>
        >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Peterhead] George Buchan
        Hi Alex
        Further to my last note I was on the IGI and found George Buchan with a
        Father Called Robert but the Date was different 25/10/1748 at episcopal
        Peterhead
        Colin

      • Alex Ritchie
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 7, 2001
          Hi Colin,
          Here's the information I got from Judy Hand :

          Alex Ritchie:
          (p.12) 25 October 1748
          Robert Buchan, jnr., fisher, had a son bap. George.
          Robert Hector, shoemaker, Godfather.
          Christian Buchan, mother of the said Robert Buchan, Godmother.
          (Robert appears to have been the father of Andrew and John, also, so
          I'll check them tonight.)
          (p6) 4 Dec. 1742
          John Innes, carpenter, had a daug. bap. Elizabeth.
          Robert Donald and William Mill, mariners, witnesses.
          (p.12) 4 February (omitted the year, probably 1748, but I'll check)
          John Innes, carpenter, had a daug. bap. Marjory.
          Ja. Sutor, shipmaster, and William Smith, wright, witnesses.
          (p.9) 1 Dec. 1745
          John Innes, carpenter, had a son bap. John.
          William Smith, wright, Godfather.
          Thomas Robertson, merchant, and Jo. Smith, silver smith, witnesses.
          (p.14) 18 May, 1751
          John Innes, carpenter, had a son bap. Robert.
          James Sutor, merchant, and James Hunter, hooker, witnesses.