George Buchan

  • Alex Ritchie
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2001
      For Colin Collie,

      Colin,
      Many thanks for the information on George Buchan and his wife Eliza Innes. That's very interesting.
      George Buchan had a daughter Jean who married a John Martin (Sailor from Newburgh, Aberdeenshire). He was my
      great-great-great-great grandfather on my mother's side of the family.

      As you probably know, George Buchan was (latterly) a harbour pilot. Using the Episcopalian records, I made an "educated" guess that George Buchan was born in 1746 and his father was a Robert Buchan. But I have not found a way of proving this so far.
      George Buchan also had a son George who married a Jean Martin and I think she was, in fact, a sister of the above mentioned John Martin.
      I think also that George Buchan had two other sons who drowned on the whaler "Oscar" near Aberdeen. Again, I'm taking an "educated" guess based upon dates and ages. But I think it's quite plausible.....maybe.

      How did you manage to find Eliza Innes's parentage ?

      Many THanks & Best Regards.......................................................Alex Ritchie

    • colin collie
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2001
        >From: "Alex Ritchie" <alex@...>
        >To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [Peterhead] George Buchan
        >Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:49:39 +0100
        >
        >For Colin Collie,
        >
        >Colin,
        > Many thanks for the information on George Buchan and his wife
        >Eliza Innes. That's very interesting.
        > George Buchan had a daughter Jean who married a John Martin
        >(Sailor from Newburgh, Aberdeenshire). He was my
        >great-great-great-great grandfather on my mother's side of the family.
        >
        > As you probably know, George Buchan was (latterly) a harbour
        >pilot. Using the Episcopalian records, I made an "educated" guess that
        >George Buchan was born in 1746 and his father was a Robert Buchan. But I
        >have not found a way of proving this so far.
        >George Buchan also had a son George who married a Jean Martin and I think
        >she was, in fact, a sister of the above mentioned John Martin.
        > I think also that George Buchan had two other sons who drowned
        >on the whaler "Oscar" near Aberdeen. Again, I'm taking an "educated" guess
        >based upon dates and ages. But I think it's quite plausible.....maybe.
        >
        > How did you manage to find Eliza Innes's parentage ?
        >
        > Many THanks & Best
        >Regards.......................................................Alex Ritchie

        Hi Alex,
        The George Buchan who was married to Jean Martin they had a daughter
        Elizabeth who married an Alexander Foreman and their daughter Elizabeth
        Married a John Buchan who had a son James who was my Grandmother's Father.
        I got the information on the Innis from someone in the Family I can't
        remember who
        All the best
        Colin

      • colin collie
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 5, 2001
          >From: "colin collie" <crhc43@...>
          >To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [Peterhead] George Buchan
          Hi Alex
          Further to my last note I was on the IGI and found George Buchan with a
          Father Called Robert but the Date was different 25/10/1748 at episcopal
          Peterhead
          Colin

        • Alex Ritchie
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2001
            Hi Colin,
            Here's the information I got from Judy Hand :

            Alex Ritchie:
            (p.12) 25 October 1748
            Robert Buchan, jnr., fisher, had a son bap. George.
            Robert Hector, shoemaker, Godfather.
            Christian Buchan, mother of the said Robert Buchan, Godmother.
            (Robert appears to have been the father of Andrew and John, also, so
            I'll check them tonight.)
            (p6) 4 Dec. 1742
            John Innes, carpenter, had a daug. bap. Elizabeth.
            Robert Donald and William Mill, mariners, witnesses.
            (p.12) 4 February (omitted the year, probably 1748, but I'll check)
            John Innes, carpenter, had a daug. bap. Marjory.
            Ja. Sutor, shipmaster, and William Smith, wright, witnesses.
            (p.9) 1 Dec. 1745
            John Innes, carpenter, had a son bap. John.
            William Smith, wright, Godfather.
            Thomas Robertson, merchant, and Jo. Smith, silver smith, witnesses.
            (p.14) 18 May, 1751
            John Innes, carpenter, had a son bap. Robert.
            James Sutor, merchant, and James Hunter, hooker, witnesses.