Re: [Peterhead] Episcopalian Records

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 31, 2001
      I will certainly look for you, but it will not be until next week, when I can
      get down to the Library again. Will let you know.

      Judy

      Alex Ritchie wrote:

      > For Judy Hand :
      >
      > Judy,
      > In your records do you have any of the following :
      >
      > 1) Birth/baptism for George Buchan (c.1746)
      > 2) Marriage of George Buchan & Elizabeth Innes (Sept.20th.1768)
      >
      > Many Thanks.......................................Alex Ritchie

    • Elisabeth Wilson
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 31, 2001
        At 05:42 pm 31/08/2001, you wrote:
        >I had noticed that the Episcopalian records mentioned a lot of seamen and
        >ships' masters, plus farmers from the surrounding districts.

        Judy, I would be interested in any Gordons, particularly if there are any
        John Gordons born in the 1780s. (A long shot...) Also John Gibb, who
        should have been born around 1770, and Barbra Grote or Groats, parents John
        Grote and Ann Skinner - she may have been born by 1786 (another record
        indicates 1791!). Their marriage would be great too. John Gibb is listed
        as a ships master in later life.

        No need to reply - I saw your posts about going to the library. Whenever
        is wonderful. Thanks you very much in advance,
        Elisabeth Wilson

        Elisabeth Wilson
        South Hobart, Tasmania
        researching GORDON GIBB YOUNG SPENCE PAUL MURRISON CRAIG DAVIDSON
      • colin collie
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2001
          >From: "Alex Ritchie" <alex@...>
          >To: <Peterhead@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [Peterhead] Episcopalian Records
          >Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:38:53 +0100
          >
          >For Judy Hand :
          >
          >Judy,
          > In your records do you have any of the following :
          >
          >1) Birth/baptism for George Buchan (c.1746)
          >2) Marriage of George Buchan & Elizabeth Innes (Sept.20th.1768)
          >
          > Many Thanks.......................................Alex Ritchie
          >
          >In Connection with the above George Buchan his date of death is 14/5/1813
          >for further information contact crhc43@... for further family
          >details
          All the Best Colin R.H. Collie

        • Judy Hand
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 5, 2001
            So far I have checked out the actual baptisms which ocurred between 1738
            and 1788. There are only 50 pages in all, i.e. one page per year. The
            results are as follow:-
            I found NO baptisms for LOWRIE, KINLOCH, RIACH, MACKIE,
            McRITCHIE,WILSON, CAMERON, GIBB, GROTE, SKINNER, KEEN or BLAIR. Sorry.

            For SANGSTER I found an Anne, Christie, John and William, but no James.

            Barbara Willoughby:
            I found no George or James CRUICKSHANK, but I did find a Peter
            CROOKSHANK, which read as follows:
            ( p.15, LDS Film 874218) June 27 1752
            Peter Crookshank, taylor, in Brae of Ludquharn had a son bap. (no name
            was recorded).
            I also found an Elizabeth JACK:
            (p.44), Oct 30 1776
            William Jack, weaver in Lairs of Invernettie, had a daug. bap.
            Elizabeth.

            Elizabeth Wilson:
            I found 2 references for John GORDON:
            Oct 5, 1752
            John Gordon, merchant, had a son bap. James.
            Dr. Thomas Gordon and James Gordon, merchant, witnesses.
            (p.27) 1 Feb. 1763
            John Gordon, in Grange, had a son bap. named John.
            George Ferguson, there, surety - present.
            I do not know whether the same John Gordon fathered both children,
            Elizabeth, but perhaps you will!
            There were other GORDONS, Charles, Geogre, James, Janet, Thomas and
            William, but they were all early rather than late entries.

            Becchi Oesterle:
            I found a baptism for an Isabel FORREST, but seem to have omitted to
            write it down. Never mind, I'm going back tonight, so I'll let you
            know. I did write down CORDINER and BRUCE, which read as follow:-
            (p.1) June 10 1738
            Robert Cordiner, shipmaster, had a son bap. James.
            James Park, shipmaster, and James Arbuthnot, Godfathers.
            Christian Arbuthnot, wife of Alexander Fraser, shipmaster, Godmother.
            (p.4) 29 June 1740
            Robert Cordiner, shipmaster, had a son bap. Alexander.
            Alexander Forbes, merchant, and Alexander Ferguson, shipmaster,
            Godfathers, and Mary Arbuthnot, daug. to Thomas Arbuthnot, surgeon,
            Godmother.
            (p.4) 5 Sept. 1740
            George Wilson, shipmaster, had a son bap. George.
            Alexander Forbes, merchant, and George Arbuthnot, merchant,
            Godfathers. Ann Park, wife of Robert Cordiner, shipmaster, Godmother.
            (p.4) 29 Dec. 1740
            James Park, shipmaster, had a daughter bap. Ann.
            Thomas Arbuthnot, surgeon, Godfather.
            Ann Park, wife of Robert Cordiner and Grizel Park, wife of George
            Wilson, shipmaster, Godmothers.
            (p.6) 5 Sept. 1742
            Robert Cordiner, shipmaster, had a son bap. James.
            Alexander Forbes, merchant, and Dr. Thomas Gordon, Godfathers.
            Grizel Arbuthnot, wife of James Park, shipmaster, Godmother.
            (As these families were all closely related, I wrote them all down.)
            (p.22) 17 March 1759
            John Bruce had a daughter bap. Jean.
            Thomas Thomson, in Faichfield, and Alexander Miln, at Miln of Fittry,
            witnesses.

            Alex Ritchie:
            (p.12) 25 October 1748
            Robert Buchan, jnr., fisher, had a son bap. George.
            Robert Hector, shoemaker, Godfather.
            Christian Buchan, mother of the said Robert Buchan, Godmother.
            (Robert appears to have been the father of Andrew and John, also, so
            I'll check them tonight.)
            (p6) 4 Dec. 1742
            John Innes, carpenter, had a daug. bap. Elizabeth.
            Robert Donald and William Mill, mariners, witnesses.
            (p.12) 4 February (omitted the year, probably 1748, but I'll check)
            John Innes, carpenter, had a daug. bap. Marjory.
            Ja. Sutor, shipmaster, and William Smith, wright, witnesses.
            (p.9) 1 Dec. 1745
            John Innes, carpenter, had a son bap. John.
            William Smith, wright, Godfather.
            Thomas Robertson, merchant, and Jo. Smith, silver smith, witnesses.
            (p.14) 18 May, 1751
            John Innes, carpenter, had a son bap. Robert.
            James Sutor, merchant, and James Hunter, hooker, witnesses.

            Pam Cameron:
            I found an Isobel SIMPSON, but she wasn't born till 1758 - too late for
            your one.

            That's all I've got for now.
            Best wishes,
            Judy
          • Elisabeth Wilson
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6, 2001
              At 02:58 pm 06/09/2001, you wrote:

              >So far I have checked out the actual baptisms which ocurred between 1738
              >and 1788.

              Judy, thank you for doing all this work! I am wondering if it's not too
              much trouble and you go back again, whether you could check for James
              Murrison, born approx. 1771. He was listed as a shipmaster when he
              died. His wife was Elizabeth Mathew but probably born around 1791.

              I can only think there must have been a mass migration TO Peterhead in the
              early 1800s - so few of my relatives seem to be on the OPRs there, at least
              in my searching, or now on this list. Does anyone know about the history of
              the area in this regard? Were the Clearances over by then? or just happening?

              So much conjecture!

              Regards,
              Elisabeth

            • olorosoo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 6, 2001
                Elizabeth

                that's an interesting point about migration. My ancestor John Coull was born
                in Buckie, in Banffshire, moving to Peterhead at some point in the early
                1800s. Most of north east Scotland was affected by famine in the late 18th
                century, so perhaps people moved to the coast where fishing would supplement
                crops - it would be interesting to know the population trends in these areas.
                Clearances tended to be in the areas where there was less arable farming and
                more scope for sheep - ie the Highlands rather than the Lowlands.

                There's a fascinating book "A guide to Scottish population history from the
                17th century to the 1930s" edited by Michael Flinn and published by
                Cambridge University Press in 1977 whcih deals with some of these issues and
                lots more besides. I think it is out of print - I had borrowed it from a
                friend but had to return it.

                regards

                Fiona
                researching: Coull, Cordiner, Sandy, Sykes, Alexander

              • Barbara Willoughby
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 7, 2001
                  Dear Judy,

                  Just wanted to say thank you sooooo much for looking
                  for my family and for taking up your valuable time.
                  Lets hope I can return the favour sometime

                  Barbara

                  http://im.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 22, 2011

                    Hi Keith,

                    There are some Aberdeenshire Episcopalian records that have survived and indexed.

                    For example:

                    Register of Baptisms ‘Espiscopalian’, Peterhead, Scotland 1738-1788, indexed by Archibald Strath Maxwell.  I think the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS have these, can’t remember if they re-published.  They have also been filmed by the LDS which is where I first obtained the records (I have film numbers 874218 item 4 and 933436, you will need to check which is correct, Book 941.25/P1 V26p).

                    Peterhead index has:

                    Baigrie Elizabeth Petrie page 49

                    Robert page 49

                    No Sutherland

                    Sorry don’t have page 49 for actual entry.

                    From a quick Google search of Archibald Strath Maxwell:

                    Registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, St. Mary's Episcopal, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, 1842-1929  St. Mary's Episcopal Church (Inverurie, Aberdeen)

                    Baptisms of St. John's Episcopal Church, Aberdeen, 1778-1855

                    Register of baptisms, marriages and deaths, 1799-1911  Portsoy Episcopal Church (Banffshire, Scotland)

                    Registers of baptisms, Episcopalian Church, Peterhead, Scotland, 1738- 1788  Maxwell, Archibald Strath

                    Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of the Episcopal congregation at Lonmay, Aberdeen, Scotland, 1727-1854  Maxwell, Archibald Strath

                    Register of baptisms, 1778-1855  St. John's Episcopal Church (Aberdeen, Scotland)

                    Baptisms and marriages, Trinity Chapel (Episcopal), Aberdeen, Scotland, v. 1. 1753-1770 -- v. 2. 1770-1803.

                    The registers of the Episcopal Congregation, Fraserburgh, Diocese of Aberdeen & Orkney, Scotland, 1766-1884

                    The registers of St. James the Great, Episcopal Chapel, Stonehaven, Kincardineshire, Scotland, 1758-1880

                    The registers of St. James the Less, Episcopal Chapel, Cruden, Diocese of Aberdeen and Orkney, Scotland, 1807-1870

                    The registers of St. John the Baptist Episcopal Chapel, Drumlithie, Kincardineshire, Scotland, 1769-1883

                    St. Andrew's Episcopal Chapel, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland, 1723-1752

                    Regards,

                    Wade.

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 22, 2011
                      Hi, these books are available in Aberdeenshire Libraries.The headquarters in Old Meldrum have copies of them all & can do look ups.

                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Buchan" <wsb@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Keith,
                      >

                      > There are some Aberdeenshire Episcopalian records that have survived and
                      > indexed.
                      >

                      > For example:
                      >
                      > Register of Baptisms 'Espiscopalian', Peterhead, Scotland 1738-1788, indexed
                      > by Archibald Strath Maxwell. I think the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS have
                      > these, can't remember if they re-published. They have also been filmed by
                      > the LDS which is where I first obtained the records (I have film numbers
                      > 874218 item 4 and 933436, you will need to check which is correct, Book
                      > 941.25/P1 V26p).
                      >

                      > Peterhead index has:
                      >
                      > Baigrie Elizabeth Petrie page 49
                      >
                      > Robert page 49
                      >

                      > No Sutherland
                      >

                      > Sorry don't have page 49 for actual entry.
                      >

                      > From a quick Google search of Archibald Strath Maxwell:
                      >
                      > Registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, St. Mary's Episcopal, Inverurie,
                      > Aberdeenshire, Scotland, 1842-1929 St. Mary's Episcopal Church (Inverurie,
                      > Aberdeen)
                      >
                      > Baptisms of St. John's Episcopal Church, Aberdeen, 1778-1855
                      >
                      > Register of baptisms, marriages and deaths, 1799-1911 Portsoy Episcopal
                      > Church (Banffshire, Scotland)
                      >
                      > Registers of baptisms, Episcopalian Church, Peterhead, Scotland, 1738- 1788
                      > Maxwell, Archibald Strath
                      >
                      > Baptisms, marriages, and deaths of the Episcopal congregation at Lonmay,
                      > Aberdeen, Scotland, 1727-1854 Maxwell, Archibald Strath
                      >
                      > Register of baptisms, 1778-1855 St. John's Episcopal Church (Aberdeen,
                      > Scotland)
                      >
                      > Baptisms and marriages, Trinity Chapel (Episcopal), Aberdeen, Scotland, v.
                      > 1. 1753-1770 -- v. 2. 1770-1803.
                      >
                      > The registers of the Episcopal Congregation, Fraserburgh, Diocese of
                      > Aberdeen & Orkney, Scotland, 1766-1884
                      >
                      > The registers of St. James the Great, Episcopal Chapel, Stonehaven,
                      > Kincardineshire, Scotland, 1758-1880
                      >
                      > The registers of St. James the Less, Episcopal Chapel, Cruden, Diocese of
                      > Aberdeen and Orkney, Scotland, 1807-1870
                      >
                      > The registers of St. John the Baptist Episcopal Chapel, Drumlithie,
                      > Kincardineshire, Scotland, 1769-1883
                      >
                      > St. Andrew's Episcopal Chapel, Banff, Banffshire, Scotland, 1723-1752
                      >

                      > Regards,
                      >
                      > Wade.

                    • Keith Baigrie
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 26, 2011
                        Many thanks Wade and Flss1 for their very kind assistance with my long time dillemer with this Robert Baigrie. For "dillema" read my fingernails now slowly scratching down the brick wall of defeat!

                        The (Episcopalian) Rev John Skinner longtime Vicar at Longside said in an ode about him, "that he (Robert) hailed from Buchan" And he would have undoubtedly known. I have deduced that he must have been born around 1745 can't find his birth though?.. He was sent to sea as a cabin boy ( usually about aged 10 or so). According to the Rev. Sage in Memorabilia Domestica, he went to the Arctic and the deprivation he suffered caused him never to leave food at the table, however bad. He progressed to being a Master Mariner on West Indiamen ( a large heavily armed merchantmen), sailing from London to Jamaica. In 1780 in London he married a Jane Haddon, a daughter of a another M/Mariner and Thames Pilot George Haddon, recorded at St Georges East parish (recorded as "Baigne"). They had a daughter also Jane BaigrieBorn 1781 (Said to be the 1st record of Baigrie in London. Hmm). Sadly I can find no record of his wife's death (or anything else?) I presume she died in childbirth poor thing. I also wondered if it was at sea? The baby Jane was christened at St Georges East at 11 days old.

                        Around this time off Jamaica French Pirates had already captured some British ships from a huge convoy sailing under Royal Navy orders. It was reported the "Capt Baigrie quickly set sail and captured the Pirates ships and their prizes.(So later presumably, a bit of a financial result there).He then retired back to Scotland to live life as a gentleman.  As the Rev Sage recalled he having first been at Rora Mill in Longside (Was this his parents house I wonder). I surmised he must have 'hailed' from somewhere near as the Rev Skinner was there at the time and they were friends for the rest of their lives. He moving to 'Midgarty' eventually taking over the lease of this big farm/ estate in Sutherland and married Willamina Sutherland, (who's father had Midgarty before), and they had another 5 children. I know she was buried in Loth Churchyard, Sutherland, and Capt. Baigrie requested in his will to be buried beside her, However frustratingly I can find no record of any marriage or her death ( around 1795).

                        So if anyone in our group, in their own researches, falls over any likely clues particularly to the birth of this Robert Baigrie I would really appreciate an email to ...keith.baigrie@....

                        Thanks again for the help