Peterhead Episcopal Records

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 28, 2001
      I currently have out LDS Film 0874218, which contains a typed
      transcription of the records of the Peterhead Episcopalian Church. The
      period covered is approx. 1741 to 1788, and there would be no more than
      a dozen entries per year. It is really quite a natty film, with good
      information as to occupations and relationships, with especial mention
      of godmothers, and their relationships to the men in the community.

      The records are indexed, and I'd be very happy to check for anyone with
      Episcopalian ancestors. Unfortunately, these appear to be the only
      Episcopalian records which have survived, which probably explains why
      some of us just can't find that link we are so desperately seeking!

      If you would like me to check, just let me know. I have the film for
      another two weeks.

      Judy Hand
    • Judy Hand
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 28, 2001
        I currently have out LDS Film 0874218, which contains a typed
        transcription of the records of the Peterhead Episcopalian Church. The
        period covered is approx. 1741 to 1788, and there would be no more than
        a dozen entries per year. It is really quite a natty film, with good
        information as to occupations and relationships, with especial mention
        of godmothers, and their relationships to the men in the community.

        The records are indexed, and I'd be very happy to check for anyone with
        Episcopalian ancestors. Unfortunately, these appear to be the only
        Episcopalian records which have survived, which probably explains why
        some of us just can't find that link we are so desperately seeking!

        If you would like me to check, just let me know. I have the film for
        another two weeks.

        Judy Hand
      • Barbara Willoughby
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 30, 2001
          Dear Judy,

          I wonder if you might have any details of a George
          Cruickshank such as a birth/baptism and or of his son
          James Cruickshank (my Great Grandfather). All I know
          of James is that he was born in Peterhead in 1831, his
          father was George Cruickshank and his mother was shown
          on his marraige certificate (he married Mary Taylor in
          1858) as Elizabeth Jack but I have found no formal
          records of this.

          The LDS records show a marraige between one George
          Cruickshank and Elizabeth Jack in 1818 but I don't
          know if this is my relatives. Particularly as James
          was not born until 1831 and there is no LDS record of
          his birth to these parents. There is however one
          record of a daughter born to George and Elizabeth in I
          think 1834.

          Hope this is not to long winded and makes sense to
          you.

          Any help will be gratefully received.

          Thanks

          Barbara Willoughby (UK)

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Scotshldy@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 30, 2001
            Hello Judy,

            Would you check the church records for any Cameron's.
            Ewen Cameron married Isobel Simpson in Peterhead 1702.
            Children to this marriage: John b.1703, Jannet b.1704, Andrew b.1706, Alexr.
            b. 1708, Margaret b. 1710, Anna b. 1713.

            Thank you for your help.
            Pam Cameron San Pedro, CA, USA

          • Val Lowrie
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 30, 2001
              > Would you check the church records for any Cameron's.
              > Ewen Cameron married Isobel Simpson in Peterhead 1702.
              > Children to this marriage: John b.1703, Jannet b.1704, Andrew b.1706,
              Alexr.
              > b. 1708, Margaret b. 1710, Anna b. 1713.
              >
              > Thank you for your help.
              > Pam Cameron San Pedro, CA, USA

            • Val Lowrie
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 30, 2001
                Judy
                Would there be any LOWRIE's listed there at all.

                Thank you for your kind offer
                regards
                Val Lowrie
                Rockhampton Q

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 31, 2001
                  Dear Barbara

                  These Episcopalian records only cover the period 1738 - 1788, so I think they
                  will be too early for your George Cruickshank. However, I'll check both
                  Cruickshank and Jack, and let you know. It won't be until later next week,
                  when I can get back to the Library.

                  Judy

                • Judy Hand
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 31, 2001
                    Dear Pam

                    I'll certinly look to see if any of your names appear, as the period could cover
                    the children's marriages. It won't be until later next week, though, when I can
                    get back to the Library. I'll let you know.

                    Judy

                    Scotshldy@... wrote:

                    > Hello Judy,
                    >
                    > Would you check the church records for any Cameron's.
                    > Ewen Cameron married Isobel Simpson in Peterhead 1702.
                    > Children to this marriage: John b.1703, Jannet b.1704, Andrew b.1706, Alexr.
                    > b. 1708, Margaret b. 1710, Anna b. 1713.
                    >
                    > Thank you for your help.
                    > Pam Cameron San Pedro, CA, USA

                  • Judy Hand
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 31, 2001
                      I'll certainly have a look for you, Val, and let you know. It won't be until
                      later next week, I'm afraid, when I can get back to the Library.

                      Judy

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 31, 2001
                        Thank you Judy,

                        Barbara
                        --- Judy Hand <j.rhand@...> wrote:
> [...]
                        > > > a dozen entries per year. It is really quite
                        > > > natty film, with good
                        > > > information as to occupations and relationships,
                        > > > with especial mention
                        > > > of godmothers, and their relationships to the
                        > men in
                        > > > the community.
                        > > >
                        > > > The records are indexed, and I'd be very happy
                        > > > check for anyone with
                        > > > Episcopalian ancestors. Unfortunately, these
                        > appear
                        > > > to be the only
                        > > > Episcopalian records which have survived, which
                        > > > probably explains why
                        > > > some of us just can't find that link we are so
                        > > > desperately seeking!
                        > > >
                        > > > If you would like me to check, just let me know.
                        > > > have the film for
                        > > > another two weeks.
                        > > >
                        > > > Judy Hand

                        > > Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant

                        http://im.yahoo.com
                      • i.l.tilbury
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 31, 2001
                          FOR JUDY HAND
                          Hi Judy, My name is Lynley Tilbury and I
                          wondered if you would have time to look up a birth for me. I only have the
                          marriage which is William Keen/Kean married Mary Blair 1799 in
                          Kincardineshire.
                          I wondered if there were any births for William Keen in the 1770's.
                          Thankyou for your help
                          Lynley Tilbury
                          > These Episcopalian records only cover the period 1738 - 1788, so I think
                          they
                          > will be too early for your George Cruickshank. However, I'll check both
                          > Cruickshank and Jack, and let you know. It won't be until later next
                          week,
                          > when I can get back to the Library.
                          >
                          > Judy
                          >
                          > Barbara Willoughby wrote:
                          >
                          > > Dear Judy,
                          > >
                          > > I wonder if you might have any details of a George
                          > > Cruickshank such as a birth/baptism and or of his son
                          > > James Cruickshank (my Great Grandfather). All I know
                          > > of James is that he was born in Peterhead in 1831, his
                          > > father was George Cruickshank and his mother was shown
                          > > on his marraige certificate (he married Mary Taylor in
                          > > 1858) as Elizabeth Jack but I have found no formal
                          > > records of this.
                          > >
                          > > The LDS records show a marraige between one George
                          > > Cruickshank and Elizabeth Jack in 1818 but I don't
                          > > know if this is my relatives. Particularly as James
                          > > was not born until 1831 and there is no LDS record of
                          > > his birth to these parents. There is however one
                          > > record of a daughter born to George and Elizabeth in I
                          > > think 1834.
                          > >
                          > > Hope this is not to long winded and makes sense to
                          > > you.
                          > >
                          > > Any help will be gratefully received.
                          > >
                          > > Thanks
                          > >
                          > > Barbara Willoughby (UK)
                          > > --- Judy Hand <j.rhand@...> wrote:
                          > > > I currently have out LDS Film 0874218, which
                          > > > contains a typed
                          > > > transcription of the records of the Peterhead
                          > > > Episcopalian Church. The
                          > > > period covered is approx. 1741 to 1788, and there
                          > > > would be no more than
                          > > > a dozen entries per year. It is really quite a
                          > > > natty film, with good
                          > > > information as to occupations and relationships,
                          > > > with especial mention
                          > > > of godmothers, and their relationships to the men in
                          > > > the community.
                          > > >
                          > > > The records are indexed, and I'd be very happy to
                          > > > check for anyone with
                          > > > Episcopalian ancestors. Unfortunately, these appear
                          > > > to be the only
                          > > > Episcopalian records which have survived, which
                          > > > probably explains why
                          > > > some of us just can't find that link we are so
                          > > > desperately seeking!
                          > > >
                          > > > If you would like me to check, just let me know. I
                          > > > have the film for
                          > > > another two weeks.
                          > > >
                          > > > Judy Hand

                          > > Get email alerts & NEW webcam video instant messaging with Yahoo!
                          Messenger
                          > > http://im.yahoo.com
                          > >

                          > > Peterhead Genealogy at http://axs.com.au/~wsb/
                          > >
                          > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • Melissa J. Ellis
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 6, 2001
                            Judy could you look for Yules, Robertson ,Geary and Pressley in the
                            Episcoplian Records. Thanks Melissa J. Ellis

                            Judy Hand wrote:

                            > I currently have out LDS Film 0874218, which contains a typed
                            > transcription of the records of the Peterhead Episcopalian Church.
                            > The
                            > period covered is approx. 1741 to 1788, and there would be no more
                            > than
                            > a dozen entries per year. It is really quite a natty film, with
                            > good
                            > information as to occupations and relationships, with especial mention
                            >
                            > of godmothers, and their relationships to the men in the community.
                            >
                            > The records are indexed, and I'd be very happy to check for anyone
                            > with
                            > Episcopalian ancestors. Unfortunately, these appear to be the only
                            > Episcopalian records which have survived, which probably explains why
                            > some of us just can't find that link we are so desperately seeking!
                            >
                            > If you would like me to check, just let me know. I have the film for
                            >
                            > another two weeks.
                            >
                            > Judy Hand
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                            [Lose 20 lbs by November 5th!]

                          • Christine Tregonning
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 21, 2007
                              Dear Carol and Others,

                              I was interested in your reference to the Peterhead Episcopal Records.

                              My ancestor James LOVIE gives his place of birth on the 1851 census as
                              Peterhead. There is also a John LOVIE living in St Cyrus who also gives his
                              place of birth as Peterhead.

                              While there is a possible entry in the Longside Parish records for James
                              LOVIE, this James LOVIE was born at Mains of Buthlaw in 1803; I cannot find
                              a record of the birth or baptism of John LOVIE.

                              I am assuming that John LOVIE was born sometime around 1800. How would I
                              find out if his birth or baptism were recorded in the Episcopal Church at
                              Peterhead?

                              Regards,

                              Christine

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.