Murrison

  • thepatch
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 26, 2001
      Hi Wade,

      Do you know what steps we could take now in our search for Captain William
      Murrison and his Ticket No. We now have the following:

      PRO
      BT 154/8 312
      Register of accounts of wages and effects of deceased seamen and received
      and
      disposal of
      Date of receipt - 26 Nov 1873
      Port from which received - Peterhead
      Ship - Dart
      Official No - 28980
      Name - William Murison
      Age - 31
      Died - 30/9/1873
      Where - Hamburg
      Cause - Drowned
      All that had a red line through it and at the end it had;
      Remarks - Deceased Master A/c returned to Sup't Returned to Peterhead 15 Dec
      1873

      The Official Number above doesn't appear to be his Ticket Number. Also not
      sure how to find records regarding the ship "Dart". William was born in
      Peterhead, but was living in Aberdeen with his wife and son at the time of
      his death. This ship may have been working out of Aberdeen, or Peterhead
      where he presumably got his Seaman's Ticket.

      Have checked Scottish Deaths at Sea, and British Death's at Sea LDS films,
      also Lloyd's Captain's Register to no avail. Have also checked the BT Nos.
      for his Seamans Ticket No. and he doesn't appear on those files.

      Any suggestions as to where we go from here?

      Peter Campbell
      New Zealand
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2001
        Hi Peter,

        thepatch wrote:

        >Do you know what steps we could take now in our search for Captain William
        >Murrison and his Ticket No. We now have the following:

        You will not find a Seamen's Ticket for William Murrison as it covered the
        period 1845 to 1854. The next series is Register of Seamen, Series III
        covering 1853-57, then nothing again until 1913.

        >Ship - Dart
        >Official No - 28980
        >
        >The Official Number above doesn't appear to be his Ticket Number. Also not
        >sure how to find records regarding the ship "Dart".

        The official number refers to the ships official number and is needed when
        looking for the crew agreements. After 1861 crew agreements ended up all
        over the place, but the majority are at The Maritime History Archive,
        Memorial University of Newfoundland. They hold crew lists not taken by any
        other institution for the years between 1863 and 1972.

        The book Records of Merchant Shipping and Seamen will give more detailed
        information.

        Regards, Wade.

        CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify AMCOR immediately. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of AMCOR.
      • Grant Murrison
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26 2:47 PM
          I am looking for information concerning my name. Al I know is that my fathers family is from the Aberdeen area. His name was Ernest William Murrison and he was born June 16, 1912. He had a brother Jim and I believe four sisters. I believe that my grandfathers name was Richard and at one time he sold insurance.. My paternal grandmothers maiden name was Cruickshank. I have very little other information.

        • dmatt
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27 2:39 PM
            Grant,

            I am looking for information concerning my name. Al I know is that my
            fathers family is from the Aberdeen area. His name was Ernest William
            Murrison and he was born June 16, 1912. He had a brother Jim and I believe
            four sisters. I believe that my grandfathers name was Richard and at one
            time he sold insurance.. My paternal grandmothers maiden name was
            Cruickshank.

            Have you a copy of Ernest's birth certificate? (available from the General
            Register Office for Scotland). Records earlier than 1902 can be found on the
            Scots Origins site.

            David
            >I am looking for information concerning my name. Al I know is that my
            fathers family is from the Aberdeen area. His name was Ernest William
            Murrison and he was born June 16, 1912. He had a brother Jim and I believe
            four sisters. I believe that my grandfathers name was Richard and at one
            time he sold insurance.. My paternal grandmothers maiden name was
            Cruickshank. I have very little other information.

            >Peterhead Genealogy at http://axs.com.au/~wsb/

          • Alex Ritchie
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2005
              For Peter Campbell :

              Peter,
              Many thanks for the interesting details about William Murrison & the vessels he sailed on.
              Ref. the vessels you asked about.Let me tell you what I know :

              ALERT : I see a reference to the vessel in the 1857 Peterhead whaling fleet (Master - Donald Gregory).
              POLAR STAR : Was also in the 1857 whaling fleet (Master - David Ewan). Eventually sold to Dundee.
              AGOSTINA : Was built by Thomas Adamson of Dundee in 1837. It's original owners were merchants in Newburgh, Aberdeenshire.
              Eventually owned by Robert Volum (of the well-known Peterhead whaling family). He was washed overboard on a passage to London from Launceston in 1851. This was a period when she traded between mainly London and Australia. Between 1860 and 1865 she has an unbroken series of very unsuccessful whaling voyages and ceased whaling in 1865. She was wrecked and abandoned at sea in 1876.
              WINDWARD : Built as a sailing whale ship in 1860 by Stephen & Forbes of Peterhead. Was fitted with steam in 1866. THe original master was David Ewan. This vessel was the last whaler to sail from Peterhead under the captaincy of David Gray III in 1893. She was eventually sold to a Captain Wiggins ("of Siberian fame") in 1896.

              I don't know much about RESTLESS and FLOWER O'BUCHAN.
              Sorry for the very sketchy information. I'll try and get you more information if I can.

              Thanks again for the information on William Murrison...................Alex Ritchie.