Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 548

  • Sam Daniel
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      This is the South Road Cemetery.

      In message <3B680249.812445B4@...>, William Leslie
      <gripfast@...> writes
      >Hello All;
      >Regarding Peterhead cemeteries;
      >Does anyone know if there is some authority such as the Town Council, National
      >Trust, etc.
      >which is responsible for old cemeteries? Why I ask, is because I am on a long
      >distance
      >crusade to have the monument on the graves of my great grandparents, James and
      >Janet Rankin
      >repaired. I have tried to enlist Peterhead cousins to help, with no success to
      >date. I have
      >photographs I took in 1996, showing the monument with pieces from the top, lying
      >on the
      >ground. I believe that it was vandalized many years before. This grave is in
      >the Peterhead
      >cemetery overlooking the Lido and the Heritage Centre, and I am not sure which
      >cemetery that
      >is in the list provided by Alison Anderson below. I am willing to raise the
      >funds to have
      >the Rankin monument repaired, but I need to know who to contact in Peterhead.
      >Regards
      >William Leslie
      >
      >Peterhead@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >

      >> Peterhead Genealogy at http://axs.com.au/~wsb/
      >>
      >> There is 1 message in this issue.
      >>
      >> Topics in this digest:
      >>
      >> 1. Re: Cemeteries
      >> From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>

      >> Message: 1
      >> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:23:20 +0100
      >> From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>
      >> Subject: Re: Cemeteries
      >>
      >> Hi Sue,
      >>
      >> There are four Cemeteries in Peterhead.
      >>
      >> St. Peter's Churchyard, South Road - from 1706
      >> Constitution Street Cemetery - from 1869
      >> Balmoor Cemetery - from 1954, and
      >> Peterhead Grange - from 1992
      >>
      >> In the surrounging area there are also:
      >>
      >> St. Fergus Old Churchyard - from 1751, and
      >> St. Fergus New Churchyard - from 1946.
      >>
      >> Longside Churchyard - from 1712, and
      >> Longside Cemetery - from 1944
      >>
      >> Cruden Churchyards (not sure of dates)
      >>
      >> Hope this helps.
      >>
      >> Alison

      Sam Daniel
    • Scotshldy@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2001
        Hello William,

        Regarding your e-mail on repairing the Rankin headstone. One place that might
        be a good start is with Rober Mackie, he is the Funeral Director in
        Peterhead. If you'd like the phone number and/or address I can get it for you.

        Pam Cameron
        San Pedro, California USA