Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 548

  • Alison Anderson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hi William,

      The cemetery that you describe below sounds like the old St. Peter's
      Kirkyard on the South Road, Peterhead. Have you tried contacting the
      Peterhead Registrar's office for advice (address is: Arbuthnot House, Broad
      Street, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire (tel. 01779 - 483244; fax 01779 - 483246).

      Hope this helps.

      Alison

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
        This is the South Road Cemetery.

        In message <3B680249.812445B4@...>, William Leslie
        <gripfast@...> writes
        >Hello All;
        >Regarding Peterhead cemeteries;
        >Does anyone know if there is some authority such as the Town Council, National
        >Trust, etc.
        >which is responsible for old cemeteries? Why I ask, is because I am on a long
        >distance
        >crusade to have the monument on the graves of my great grandparents, James and
        >Janet Rankin
        >repaired. I have tried to enlist Peterhead cousins to help, with no success to
        >date. I have
        >photographs I took in 1996, showing the monument with pieces from the top, lying
        >on the
        >ground. I believe that it was vandalized many years before. This grave is in
        >the Peterhead
        >cemetery overlooking the Lido and the Heritage Centre, and I am not sure which
        >cemetery that
        >is in the list provided by Alison Anderson below. I am willing to raise the
        >funds to have
        >the Rankin monument repaired, but I need to know who to contact in Peterhead.
        >Regards
        >William Leslie
        >
        >Peterhead@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        >

        >> Peterhead Genealogy at http://axs.com.au/~wsb/
        >>
        >> There is 1 message in this issue.
        >>
        >> Topics in this digest:
        >>
        >> 1. Re: Cemeteries
        >> From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>

        >> Message: 1
        >> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:23:20 +0100
        >> From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>
        >> Subject: Re: Cemeteries
        >>
        >> Hi Sue,
        >>
        >> There are four Cemeteries in Peterhead.
        >>
        >> St. Peter's Churchyard, South Road - from 1706
        >> Constitution Street Cemetery - from 1869
        >> Balmoor Cemetery - from 1954, and
        >> Peterhead Grange - from 1992
        >>
        >> In the surrounging area there are also:
        >>
        >> St. Fergus Old Churchyard - from 1751, and
        >> St. Fergus New Churchyard - from 1946.
        >>
        >> Longside Churchyard - from 1712, and
        >> Longside Cemetery - from 1944
        >>
        >> Cruden Churchyards (not sure of dates)
        >>
        >> Hope this helps.
        >>
        >> Alison

        Sam Daniel
      • Scotshldy@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2001
          Hello William,

          Regarding your e-mail on repairing the Rankin headstone. One place that might
          be a good start is with Rober Mackie, he is the Funeral Director in
          Peterhead. If you'd like the phone number and/or address I can get it for you.

          Pam Cameron
          San Pedro, California USA