Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 548

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 6:21 AM
      Hello All;
      Regarding Peterhead cemeteries;
      Does anyone know if there is some authority such as the Town Council, National Trust, etc.
      which is responsible for old cemeteries? Why I ask, is because I am on a long distance
      crusade to have the monument on the graves of my great grandparents, James and Janet Rankin
      repaired. I have tried to enlist Peterhead cousins to help, with no success to date. I have
      photographs I took in 1996, showing the monument with pieces from the top, lying on the
      ground. I believe that it was vandalized many years before. This grave is in the Peterhead
      cemetery overlooking the Lido and the Heritage Centre, and I am not sure which cemetery that
      is in the list provided by Alison Anderson below. I am willing to raise the funds to have
      the Rankin monument repaired, but I need to know who to contact in Peterhead.
      Regards
      William Leslie

      Peterhead@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: Cemeteries
      > From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:23:20 +0100
      > From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>
      > Subject: Re: Cemeteries
      >
      > Hi Sue,
      >
      > There are four Cemeteries in Peterhead.
      >
      > St. Peter's Churchyard, South Road - from 1706
      > Constitution Street Cemetery - from 1869
      > Balmoor Cemetery - from 1954, and
      > Peterhead Grange - from 1992
      >
      > In the surrounging area there are also:
      >
      > St. Fergus Old Churchyard - from 1751, and
      > St. Fergus New Churchyard - from 1946.
      >
      > Longside Churchyard - from 1712, and
      > Longside Cemetery - from 1944
      >
      > Cruden Churchyards (not sure of dates)
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > Alison

    • Alison Anderson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 12:09 PM
        Hi William,

        The cemetery that you describe below sounds like the old St. Peter's
        Kirkyard on the South Road, Peterhead. Have you tried contacting the
        Peterhead Registrar's office for advice (address is: Arbuthnot House, Broad
        Street, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire (tel. 01779 - 483244; fax 01779 - 483246).

        Hope this helps.

        Alison

        > Does anyone know if there is some authority such as the Town Council,
        National Trust, etc.
        > which is responsible for old cemeteries? Why I ask, is because I am on a
        long distance
        > crusade to have the monument on the graves of my great grandparents, James
        and Janet Rankin
        > repaired. I have tried to enlist Peterhead cousins to help, with no
        success to date. I have
        > photographs I took in 1996, showing the monument with pieces from the top,
        lying on the
        > ground. I believe that it was vandalized many years before. This grave
        is in the Peterhead
        > cemetery overlooking the Lido and the Heritage Centre, and I am not sure
        which cemetery that
        > is in the list provided by Alison Anderson below. I am willing to raise
        the funds to have
        > the Rankin monument repaired, but I need to know who to contact in
        Peterhead.
        > Regards
        > William Leslie
        >
        > Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      • Sam Daniel
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1 12:43 PM
          This is the South Road Cemetery.

          In message <3B680249.812445B4@...>, William Leslie
          <gripfast@...> writes
          >Hello All;
          >Regarding Peterhead cemeteries;
          >Does anyone know if there is some authority such as the Town Council, National
          >Trust, etc.
          >which is responsible for old cemeteries? Why I ask, is because I am on a long
          >distance
          >crusade to have the monument on the graves of my great grandparents, James and
          >Janet Rankin
          >repaired. I have tried to enlist Peterhead cousins to help, with no success to
          >date. I have
          >photographs I took in 1996, showing the monument with pieces from the top, lying
          >on the
          >ground. I believe that it was vandalized many years before. This grave is in
          >the Peterhead
          >cemetery overlooking the Lido and the Heritage Centre, and I am not sure which
          >cemetery that
          >is in the list provided by Alison Anderson below. I am willing to raise the
          >funds to have
          >the Rankin monument repaired, but I need to know who to contact in Peterhead.
          >Regards
          >William Leslie
          >
          >Peterhead@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          >

          >> Peterhead Genealogy at http://axs.com.au/~wsb/
          >>
          >> There is 1 message in this issue.
          >>
          >> Topics in this digest:
          >>
          >> 1. Re: Cemeteries
          >> From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>

          >> Message: 1
          >> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:23:20 +0100
          >> From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>
          >> Subject: Re: Cemeteries
          >>
          >> Hi Sue,
          >>
          >> There are four Cemeteries in Peterhead.
          >>
          >> St. Peter's Churchyard, South Road - from 1706
          >> Constitution Street Cemetery - from 1869
          >> Balmoor Cemetery - from 1954, and
          >> Peterhead Grange - from 1992
          >>
          >> In the surrounging area there are also:
          >>
          >> St. Fergus Old Churchyard - from 1751, and
          >> St. Fergus New Churchyard - from 1946.
          >>
          >> Longside Churchyard - from 1712, and
          >> Longside Cemetery - from 1944
          >>
          >> Cruden Churchyards (not sure of dates)
          >>
          >> Hope this helps.
          >>
          >> Alison

          Sam Daniel
        • Scotshldy@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10 1:50 AM
            Hello William,

            Regarding your e-mail on repairing the Rankin headstone. One place that might
            be a good start is with Rober Mackie, he is the Funeral Director in
            Peterhead. If you'd like the phone number and/or address I can get it for you.

            Pam Cameron
            San Pedro, California USA