Re: [Peterhead] Digest Number 548

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hello All;
      Regarding Peterhead cemeteries;
      Does anyone know if there is some authority such as the Town Council, National Trust, etc.
      which is responsible for old cemeteries? Why I ask, is because I am on a long distance
      crusade to have the monument on the graves of my great grandparents, James and Janet Rankin
      repaired. I have tried to enlist Peterhead cousins to help, with no success to date. I have
      photographs I took in 1996, showing the monument with pieces from the top, lying on the
      ground. I believe that it was vandalized many years before. This grave is in the Peterhead
      cemetery overlooking the Lido and the Heritage Centre, and I am not sure which cemetery that
      is in the list provided by Alison Anderson below. I am willing to raise the funds to have
      the Rankin monument repaired, but I need to know who to contact in Peterhead.
      Regards
      William Leslie

      Peterhead@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > There is 1 message in this issue.
      >
      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. Re: Cemeteries
      > From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:23:20 +0100
      > From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>
      > Subject: Re: Cemeteries
      >
      > Hi Sue,
      >
      > There are four Cemeteries in Peterhead.
      >
      > St. Peter's Churchyard, South Road - from 1706
      > Constitution Street Cemetery - from 1869
      > Balmoor Cemetery - from 1954, and
      > Peterhead Grange - from 1992
      >
      > In the surrounging area there are also:
      >
      > St. Fergus Old Churchyard - from 1751, and
      > St. Fergus New Churchyard - from 1946.
      >
      > Longside Churchyard - from 1712, and
      > Longside Cemetery - from 1944
      >
      > Cruden Churchyards (not sure of dates)
      >
      > Hope this helps.
      >
      > Alison

    • Alison Anderson
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hi William,

        The cemetery that you describe below sounds like the old St. Peter's
        Kirkyard on the South Road, Peterhead. Have you tried contacting the
        Peterhead Registrar's office for advice (address is: Arbuthnot House, Broad
        Street, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire (tel. 01779 - 483244; fax 01779 - 483246).

        Hope this helps.

        Alison

        > Does anyone know if there is some authority such as the Town Council,
        National Trust, etc.
        > which is responsible for old cemeteries? Why I ask, is because I am on a
        long distance
        > crusade to have the monument on the graves of my great grandparents, James
        and Janet Rankin
        > repaired. I have tried to enlist Peterhead cousins to help, with no
        success to date. I have
        > photographs I took in 1996, showing the monument with pieces from the top,
        lying on the
        > ground. I believe that it was vandalized many years before. This grave
        is in the Peterhead
        > cemetery overlooking the Lido and the Heritage Centre, and I am not sure
        which cemetery that
        > is in the list provided by Alison Anderson below. I am willing to raise
        the funds to have
        > the Rankin monument repaired, but I need to know who to contact in
        Peterhead.
        > Regards
        > William Leslie
        >
        > Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
      • Sam Daniel
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
          This is the South Road Cemetery.

          In message <3B680249.812445B4@...>, William Leslie
          <gripfast@...> writes
          >Hello All;
          >Regarding Peterhead cemeteries;
          >Does anyone know if there is some authority such as the Town Council, National
          >Trust, etc.
          >which is responsible for old cemeteries? Why I ask, is because I am on a long
          >distance
          >crusade to have the monument on the graves of my great grandparents, James and
          >Janet Rankin
          >repaired. I have tried to enlist Peterhead cousins to help, with no success to
          >date. I have
          >photographs I took in 1996, showing the monument with pieces from the top, lying
          >on the
          >ground. I believe that it was vandalized many years before. This grave is in
          >the Peterhead
          >cemetery overlooking the Lido and the Heritage Centre, and I am not sure which
          >cemetery that
          >is in the list provided by Alison Anderson below. I am willing to raise the
          >funds to have
          >the Rankin monument repaired, but I need to know who to contact in Peterhead.
          >Regards
          >William Leslie
          >
          >Peterhead@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          >

          >> Peterhead Genealogy at http://axs.com.au/~wsb/
          >>
          >> There is 1 message in this issue.
          >>
          >> Topics in this digest:
          >>
          >> 1. Re: Cemeteries
          >> From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>

          >> Message: 1
          >> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:23:20 +0100
          >> From: "Alison Anderson" <A.M.Anderson@...>
          >> Subject: Re: Cemeteries
          >>
          >> Hi Sue,
          >>
          >> There are four Cemeteries in Peterhead.
          >>
          >> St. Peter's Churchyard, South Road - from 1706
          >> Constitution Street Cemetery - from 1869
          >> Balmoor Cemetery - from 1954, and
          >> Peterhead Grange - from 1992
          >>
          >> In the surrounging area there are also:
          >>
          >> St. Fergus Old Churchyard - from 1751, and
          >> St. Fergus New Churchyard - from 1946.
          >>
          >> Longside Churchyard - from 1712, and
          >> Longside Cemetery - from 1944
          >>
          >> Cruden Churchyards (not sure of dates)
          >>
          >> Hope this helps.
          >>
          >> Alison

          Sam Daniel
        • Scotshldy@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2001
            Hello William,

            Regarding your e-mail on repairing the Rankin headstone. One place that might
            be a good start is with Rober Mackie, he is the Funeral Director in
            Peterhead. If you'd like the phone number and/or address I can get it for you.

            Pam Cameron
            San Pedro, California USA