Re: Peterhead deaths

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 13, 2001
      Hi Sue,

      I've still got computer problems at home, so am not able to check the
      databases or get on the internet at the moment. I'm hoping by the weekend
      to be back to normal. When I'm back on line, I will send an e-mail to the
      list and people can send me their requests again.

      Regards, Wade.

      CAUTION - This message may contain privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or reproduction of this message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error please notify AMCOR immediately. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of AMCOR.
    • Carolyn Morrisey
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 26, 2003
        Hello everyone,

        Below is a list of some of the Peterhead deaths I have come across in
        the course of my research. I have the certificates for all, so if
        anyone would like more details or even a copy, please let me know.

        DOD/ Name / Status/ Age/Spouse/ Parents

        1856/ Fraser, Margaret / W/ 73/ John Cheyne/Janet Allan
        1856/ Monro, Elizabeth/ W/ 83/ Charles Saffray/Janet Buchan
        1857/ Fowler, Mary Ann/ S/ 26/ James Fowler/Ann Gossip
        1857/ Baird, Alexander/M/ 26/ Alexnader Baird/Margaret Fraser
        1857/ Gordon, Ann/ M/ 51/ James Hackett/Margaret Reid
        1860/ Smith, Margaret/ ?/ ?/ Alexander Smith/Sarah Cook
        1860/ Smith William/ S/ 22/ William Smith/Margaret Paterson
        1860/ Baird, Alexander/ M/ 82/ Barbara Davidson/John Baird/Janet
        Slessor
        1883/ Donaldson, George/ M/ 77/ Elizabeth Ross/ unknown
        1883/ Sutherland, George/ M/56/ Christina Bruce/James
        Sutherland /Christina Gunn (?)
        1883/ Baird, Mary/ M/ 24/ Alexander Baird/ James Cow/Mary Strachan
        1891/ Baird, Margaret/M/ 30/ David Baird/ John Bain/ Elizabeth
        Lawson
        1891/ Buchan, Elizabeth/M/ Martin Buchan/ John Buchan/Ann Stephen
        1891/ Sangster (or Noble), Robina/ S/ 11weeks (?)/Margaret Noble
        1894/ Thompson, Alexander/ M/57/ Annie McKecknie/Thomas
        Thompson/Arabella ?
        1894/Heslop, William/M/59/Elizabeth/Thomas Heslop/Mary Young
        1894/Baird, Alexander/M/65/Catherine Thompson/Alex Baird/Barbara
        Davidson
        1904/Baird, George/W/83/Jessie Henderson/Alex Baird/Barbara Davidson
        1904 /Thompson, Henry/S/ 3days/ Alex Thompson/Isabella Milne
        1898/ Baird, William/ W/85/ Jane Buchan/Alex Baird/Barbara Davidson
        1898/ Boggie, Christian/S/ 11 mths/Robert Boggie/Catherine Brooks
        1898/ Taylor, Mary Jane/S/ 14/ Robert Taylor/ Mary Strachan
        1901/ Angus, George/M/ 26/ Elizabeth Rennie/John Angus/Barbara Baird
        1901/ Geddes, Elspet/S/39/William Geddes/Annie Geddes
        1901/ Strachan, Joseph/ S/ 25/Arthur Strachan/ Betsy Buchan
        1907/ Webster, John/S/ 5/John Webster/ Johanna Ogston
        1907/ Alexander, Margaret/ W/ 92/ William Alexander/William
        Arbuthnot/Susan Marshall
        1907/ Baird, Annie/S/ 15/Alexander Baird/Annie Buchan
        1909/ Nicoll, Andrew/ W/66/ Janet Steele/ (convict in prison)
        1909/ Cooper, David/ S/25/James Cooper/Robina Masson
        1909/ Bruce, Sophia W W/86/ William Bruce/William Baird/Mary Simpson
        1910/ Rodger, John/M/54/ Christina Milne/George Rodger/Mary Douglas
        1910/ Baird, Annie/S/19/Alexander Baird/Mary Buchan
        1910/ Craig, Jane/W/ 56/ William Craig/ James Davidson/Margaret Finlay
        1914/ Kirton, John/S/ 48/William Kirton/Violet Stay
        1914/ Morrison, Isabella/S/ 7/John Morrison/Isabella Donald
        1914/ Ross, James/M/ 31/ Jeannie Baird/ Charles Ross/Margt Cruickshank
        1917/ Baird, George/W/71/ 1.Maggie Wood 2. Jane Strachan/ William
        Baird/ Jane Buchan
        1917/ Smith, James/W/ 74/ Alexina Scott/William Smith/ Mary Tennison
        1917/ Reid, Peter/S/ 8/ Peter Reid/ Elizabeth Forman
        1919/ Carle (?) Robert/ M/ 67/ Mary Ann English/Gordon Carle/Jane (?)
        1919/ Leslie, George/M/70/ Jeannie McKession (?)/George Leslie/ Jessie
        Webster
        1919/ Allan, Jeannie/M/ 56/ Robert Allan/George Baird/ Jessie Henderson
        1920/Cooper, William/S/ 9 weeks/Florence Cooper
        1920/ Davidson, Vernon/ S/ 3 weeks/John Davidson/Helen Moir
        1920/ Ross, Jane/W/ 34/ James Ross/ Alexander Baird/ Annie Buchan
        1925/ Strachan, Albert/ S/ 10 hrs (?)/John Strachan/ Isabella Strachan
        1925/ Baird, David/M/64/ Jane Davidson/ George Baird/ Jessie Henderson
        1925/ Beaton, Christian/M/25/ Alexander Beaton/ James Lamb/ Catherine
        Grant
        1929/ Cordiner, Jessie/ W/83/ William Cordiner/ John Milne/Janet Webster
        1929/ Baird, David/M/41/ Isabella Flett Wilson/ David Baird/Margaret
        Bain
        1929/ Stewart/ Mary Ann/S/ 6(?) Robert Stewart/Jane Stewart
        1929/ Lovie, James/S/ 20 minutes/Robert Lovie/ Mary Stewart
        1929/ Cowie, William/M/62/ Margaret Smith Wood/William Cowie/Jane Bruce
        1929/ Bennett, Frederick/M/ 67/ Ann Wood/Robert Bennett/Frances Morley
        1929/ Cruickshank, Margaret/ M/ 64/ William Cruickshank/Charles
        Brown/Ann Bisset
        1929/ Baird, Winnie/S/10months/ William Baird/Janet Allan
        1930/ Henry, John/W/86/ Barbara Webster/Peter Henry/Isabella Sharp
        1930/ McIntosh, Margaret/S/ 7/John McIntosh/ Helen Bruce
        1930/ Allan, Robert Milne/W/ 66/ Jeannie Baird/Mary Allan
        1937/ MacKay, Joseph/M/ 90/ Jessie Yule Robertson/John McKay/ Christy
        McLeod
        1937/ Baird, Alexander/ W/ 81/ Mary Buchan/George Baird/ Jessie
        Henderson
        1937/ Buchan, Alexander/M/78/ 1.Eliz. Milne 2.Marg. Buchan/William
        Buchan/ Margt. Buchan
        1941/ Baird, William/ M/52/ Janet Allan/Alexander Baird/Annie Buchan
        1941/ Livingston, Hugh/ M/63/ Catherine (?)Hugh Livingstone/ Helen (?)
        1941/ Buchan, John S/ 4 months/ George Buchan/Elizabeth Noble
        1942/ Allison, Christina/M/66/ Charles Allison/ Annie Buchan
        1942/ Barclay, Nathaniel/M/ 71/ Johanna Bain/James Barclay/ Barbara
        Smith
        1942/ Whyte, Mary/W/ 80/ Charles Whyte/ James Thoirs/ Mary Centre (?)
        1946/ Alexander, Helen/ M/ 76(?)/ Francis Alexander/John Sutherland/
        Helen Farquhar
        1946/ Baird, Alexander/ W/ 90/ Annie Buchan/William Baird/ Jean Buchan

        Cheers,
        Carolyn Morrisey
        carolyn.morrisey@...
      • S.J.Inkster
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 26, 2003
          Hi Carolyn,
          Could I get any additional info on:
          1901 Elspet Geddes and 1907 John Webster.
          Thanks in advance
          Sharon

        • Carolyn Morrisey
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 27, 2003
            Dear Sharon,

            Elspet Geddes died at age 39 on 9th August 1901. She was single, a
            fishworker and resided at 4 Harbour St Buchanhaven. Her father William
            Geddes (deceased) had been a merchant seaman. Her mother's maiden
            surname was also Geddes. (Mother also deceased). Elspet's brother
            William Geddes of 26 Longate was the witness. I'm afraid my knowledge
            of illness is poor so I'm not quite sure what she died from - looks
            like Epileptic corn...Syncope (?).
            I will email a copy of the certificate to your email address. You may
            have better luck then me reading that bit.

            John Robert Webster, aged 5 years, died on 23rd January 1907. His
            father, John Webster, wsa a merchant seaman and his mother's maiden
            name was Ogston. Their address was 60 Prince St Peterhead. The witness
            was the child's uncle - signature is hard to read but appears to be
            C.F. Wills. John died from diarrhoea as certified by James Middleton.

            Hope this helps,

            Carolyn

            > 1901 Elspet Geddes and 1907 John Webster.
            > Thanks in advance
            > Sharon

            > -~-->
            > Questions.http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/FvNolB/TM

          • S.J.Inkster
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 27, 2003
              Thanks Carolyn,
              I'm afraid I'm not much better at making out what her cause of death was !
              Thanks again
              Sharon

            • anna849
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 30, 2003
                Sue,

                JAMES CONNON, cooper journeyman, married to Janet Fife Will, died
                March 25, 1930 at 0h 45 min am at 16 Erroll St., Peterhead. Age 41.
                Son of James Connon, cooper journeyman, deceased and Jane Connon m/s
                Booth, deceased.
                Cause of death: acute influenzal pneumonia
                Certified by: Vincent B Yule ( MB ChB looks like)
                Death reported by: John Will, father-in-law and inmate

                Anna
              • J Adams
                Message 7 of 11 , May 6, 2003
                  Carolyn,
                  Could you please give me the details on Robert Carle who died in 1919.

                  Thanks
                  Jim Adams
[...]

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/

                • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7, 2003
                    Hi Carolyn, I have just got back 'in ernest' to my husband's Peterhead
                    Genealogy. Will you send me a copy of the death certificate of John
                    Webster age 5 who died in 1907, son of John Webster & Johanna Ogston.
                    Are you related to these people? They are the parents of one of my
                    husband's uncles. Look forward to hearing from you. Betty.
                  • Carolyn Morrisey
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 22, 2003
                      Here are some deaths in Peterhead - from 1900 onwards. If you want a
                      copy of the downloaded certificate, please let me know.

                      Jane BAIRD, married to George Baird, labourer. Died 8 March 1901 at
                      11:55a.m. at 7 Ugie Square. Age 53. Parents: William Strachan,
                      fisherman, (deceased) & Ann Strachan MS Geddes. Cause: Progressive
                      Paralysis – 2 years, no qualified medical attendant.Informant: George
                      Baird, widower, present.

                      John BAIRD. Died 10 March 1901 at 2 p.m. at 21 North St. Age 20 months.
                      Parents: David Baird, merchant seaman & Elsie Baird MS Stewart. Cause:
                      Chronic Bronchitis with gastritis – 2 months, as certified by D.
                      Carmichael MB. CM. Informant: David Baird, father, present.

                      Alexander Winter BREBNER. Died 11 March 1901 at 9:30 a.m. at 13
                      Seagate. Age 6 months. Parents: William Brebner, carter & Alexandrina
                      Brebner MS Winter. Cause Influenza & bronchitis – 21 days, as certified
                      by D Carmichael MD CM. Informant: Lizzie Brebner, aunt, present, 12
                      Crooked Lane.

                      George BAIRD. Died 9 Dec. 1903 at 10:30 p.m. at 29 North Street. Age 1
                      year and 7 months. Parents: George Baird, labourer & Maggie Baird MS
                      Baird. Cause: Tubercular meningitis as certified by James Middleton.
                      Informant: George Baird, father, present.

                      William GRAY, farmer, widower of 1) June Catto, 2) Margaret Brown
                      Milne. Died 11 Dec 1903 at 7 p.m. at Blackhouse Peterhead. Age 81.
                      Parents William Gray, farmer, deceased & Ann Gray MS Sim, deceased.
                      Cause: Old age, apoplexy, as certified by James Middleton. Informant:
                      William S Gray, son and inmate, present.

                      Christian WOOD, married to William Wood, fisherman. Died 14 Dec 1903
                      at 2 Auldmanythie Rd Peterhead. Age 45. Parents: James Strachan,
                      fisherman & Christian Strachan MS Buchan. Cause: Erysipelae – 9 days,
                      as certified by James Middleton. Informant: William Wood, widower,
                      present.

                      Christina BRUCE. Died 17 March 1913 at 9 p.m. at The Burgh Hospital.
                      Usual res. The Links, Peterhead. Age 5 years. Parents: Andrew Bruce,
                      fisherman & Williamina Bruce MS Buchan. Cause: Scarlet fever, as
                      certified by Norman Davidson MB ChB. Informant: Andrew Bruce, father,
                      The Links.

                      Mary TAYLOR. Died 18 March 1913 at 11 a.m. at 43 High St Buchanhaven.
                      Age 21 months. Parents: John Strachan Taylor, fisherman & Jane Taylor
                      MS Bruce. Cause: Otitis media – 3 months, Mastoid Abscess – 2 months 4
                      days, as certified by Jas. Stephens MD. Informant: John Taylor,
                      father, present.

                      Alexander Wilson BAIRD. Died 20 March 1913 at 6 a.m. at 9 Auldmanythie
                      Rd. Age: 4 ½ months. Parents: Alexander Baird, cooper & Margaret Watt
                      Baird MS Wilson. Cause: Convulsions – 5 hours, as certified by Jas
                      Stephens. Informant: Alexander Baird, father, present.

                      Alexander Birnie Rankin LESLIE. Died 30 July 1919 at 3 p.m. at 5
                      Roanheads. Age 7 years 5 months. Parents: William Leslie, cooper, &
                      Williamina Leslie MS Rankin. Cause: Acute pneumonia (septic) - 1 month
                      as certified by Gilbert Garrey MB. Informant: William Leslie, father,
                      present.

                      Alfred Baird McKENZIE. Died 1 Aug 1919 at 10:15 p.m. at 73 Queen St.
                      Age 7 days. Parents: Ruth Baird or McKenzie, clerkess, wife of
                      Frederick George McKenzie, fishworker. Cause: Icterus Neonatorium (?) –
                      2 days, as certified by James Smith MB. CM. Informant: Fred G.
                      McKenzie, step-father and inmate, present.

                      Peter BEAGRIE, stableman, widower of Georgina Milne. Died 5 Aug 1919
                      at 6:45 a.m. at 65 Marischal St. Age: 70 years. Parents: Peter
                      Beagrie, farm servant, deceased & Elizabeth Beagrie MS Morrison,
                      deceased. Cause: Bronchopneumonia – 8 days, as certified by W.B.
                      Tannahill (?) MB. Informant: Thomas Beagrie, son, present. 16 St
                      Mary Street Peterhead.

                      Mary Allan Blow TAYLOR, married to Robert Taylor, sawyer. Died 23
                      November 1935 at 22 Longate. Age 42 years. Parents: Robert Forbes
                      Park, carter, deceased & Mary Jane Brown Park, MS Blow. Cause:
                      Cerebral embolism – 1 day, as certified by John Findlay MB CHB.
                      Informant: Robert Taylor, widower and inmate.

                      Douglas BAIRD. Died 26 Nov 1932 at 10:45 p.m. at 23 Queen St. Age 10
                      days. Parents: Mary Amy Massie Baird, hairdresser. Cause:
                      Prematurity, as certified by Vincent Yule MB CHB. Informant: William
                      Baird, grandfather and inmate.

                      Ambrosina Ritchie TAYLOR, message girl. Died: 3 Dec 1935 at 9:30 a.m
                      at 18 Castle St. Age: 15 years. Parents: Andrew Taylor, fisherman,
                      deceased & Ambrosina Taylor, MS Ritchie. Cause: Lobar pneumonia – 16
                      days, as certified by James Robertson MB CHB. Informant: A. Birnie,
                      friend, 27 Maiden St.

                      Duncan McLennan BIRNIE, stone cutter, retired, married to Jane Daniel.
                      Died: 6 April 1940 at 9:30 p.m. at 82 Kirk St. Age 67 years.
                      Parents: Alexander Birnie, tailor, deceased & Betsy Birnie MS
                      McLennan, deceased. Cause: Gastric haemorrhage, gastric ulcer, as
                      certified by John Findlay MD CHB. Informant: Duncan Birnie, son, 23
                      King St.

                      Sophia MUNRO, widow of Angus Munro, cooper. Died: 8 April 1940 at 3
                      p.m. at 6 Port Henry Lane. Age: 80 years. Perents: Joseph Massie,
                      general labourer, deceased & Elizabeth Massie MS Cowie, deceased.
                      Cause: Cerebral haemorrhage – 4 days, as certified by Laura E?? MB
                      CHB. Informant: Alex Munro, son and inmate.

                      George BAIRD, ship’s engineer, single. Died: 11 April 1940 at 5:15
                      a.m. at 19 North Street. Age: 28 years. Parents: George Baird,
                      merchant seaman & Margaret Baird MS Davidson, deceased. Cause:
                      Disseminated (?) sclerosis as certified by Douglas McBain MB CHM.
                      Informant; David D. Baird, brother, present. 4 Queen St.

                      Carolyn
                    • William Leslie
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 22, 2003
                        Hello Carolyn;
                        The Alexander Birnie Rankin Leslie of 5 Roanheads below, was my father's
                        young brother.
                        Regards
                        William Leslie