Robertsons

  • E M Lothian
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2001
      Not my family, but details I recorded some time ago about Robertsons in
      Peterhead, in case they are of use to anyone.

      CC1/16/17 - Testament of Mr John Robertson, merchant, Peterhead, made in
      1796 [he was firstly a farmer, Collielaw, married to Isobel Taylor]. His
      executors were: Robert Robertson, writer in Peterhead: Alexr Murison,
      hairdresser there; William Robertson, senior, merchant there; James Milne,
      baker, there; James Anderson, merchant, there; James Webster, wheelwright
      there. He mentioned a heritable bond for £340 Sterling which had been
      granted to him by Helen Ramsay spouse of William Mitchell, merchant in
      Peterhead, and Sarah Ramsay residing there daughter of the deceased Thomas
      Ramsay, late tidesman there and Janet Clark. He had a feu in Peterhead with
      a new dwelling house on it bounded on the north by the tenement which had
      lately been possessed by John Hutchison and Marjory Smith, his mother, and
      which now belonged to James Skelton. On the south it was bounded by a
      tenement belonging to James Watson, baillie formerly and now to William
      Ferguson and on the east it was bounded by the common way to the sea and
      arable land of the town on the west. The property had been disponed to him
      by Sarah Ramsay and William Mitchell as security for their loan.
      He left bequests to:
      John Robertson in Kilkenny, Ireland - £80. - his nephew
      Alexander Robertson, junior, wheelwright in Peterhead - £80 - his nephew
      Elizabeth Robertson, daughter of Alexander Robertson senior, wheelwright in
      Peterhead - £30 with bedding.
      William Laing in Collielaw - £30
      John Laing in Fraserburgh, his nephew - £30
      James Laing in Aberdeen, his nephew - £15
      Margaret Laing, spouse to James Fraser in Peterhead - £15
      Children of deceased Janet Laing sometime in Torhendry - £15.
      Gilbert Falconer, schoolmaster in Aberdeen, his nephew - £80
      John Duncan, baker in London, his nephew - £80
      Jean Mitchell in Peterhead, relict of Alexander Mackie in Crimond and to Ann
      and Jean Mackie, her daughters - £10
      John Mitchell, son of Robert Mitchell in Collielaw - £15
      Christian Mitchell, dau. of Robert Mitchell in Collielaw - £15
      His house in New Street to go to his wife, Isobel Taylor.
      Made 30 Dec 1796 recorded 4 Sept 1800
      A codicil recorded at the same time made 16 Feb 1797 in which he is recorded
      as John Robertson, sometime farmer at Collielaw now in Peterhead, the
      residue of his estate to go to his wife and to Mr Thomas Milne minister of
      the Associate Congregation church, also a Deed of Mortification in favour
      of the Associate Congregation Church of Peterhead.

      If of any interest, I may have other Robertson information.

      Best wishes
      Eileen Lothian