Re: STOCKS-FARQUHARSON

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 18, 1998
      Hi Betty,

      Betty Miles wrote:

      > I am interested in the family of Samuel STOCKS (pronounced STOKES and
      > sometimes written that way), born in England about 1790, but married in
      > Peterhead to Margaret FARQUHARSON in 1819. Samuel was a quarrier,
      > distiller and farm labourer.
      > Children: Samuel, William Gray, James, George, Mary Arbuthnot, John,
      > William and Helen.
      > Samuel and James went to Ontario, Canada in the 1850's. George was a
      > baker in Slains.
      > I would especially like to find a clue as to Samuel, Sr.'s place of
      > origin in England. I have information to share about the Canadian
      > branches.

      1856 Deaths Peterhead
      No.95, John Stokes (single), 22/9/1856 4h am Back Street, Male, 23
      years, parents: Samuel Stokes labourer (Deceased) and Margaret Stokes ms
      Farquharson, cause: unknown no medical attendant, buried Peterhead,
      Alexander Fraser undertaker, informant: George Stokes, brother
      (present).

      1863 Deaths Peterhead
      No.3, Mary Stokes widow of Samuel Stokes Quarrier 4/1/1863 2h 20m pm
      24/2 Back Street, Female, 68 years, parents: Neil Farquhar crofter
      (dead), cause: unknown no medical attendant, informant: Elizabeth Stokes
      Daughter-in-law, present, Colliston Slains.

      1851 Census for Peterhead
      District 9, Page 17, No.92, Backgate Street
      Mary Stocks, head, 48, Cullen, Banffshire
      John Stocks, son, 17, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire

      District 2, Page 11, No.58, Harbour Street
      Rebecca Taylor, head, 39, Peterhead
      Eliza Stocks, daughter, 4, Peterhead

      I didn't record the full information when indexing the census.

      1868 Marriages Peterhead
      No.36 1/6/1868 Queen Street, Episcopal Church, John Simpson tailor
      bachelor, age 31, Merchant Street, Peterhead, parents: John Simpson
      Quarrier and Isabella Simpson ms Hepburn (dead) married Eliza B. Stokes,
      spinster, age 22, Merchant Street, Peterhead, parents George Stokes
      baker and Rebecca Taylor (dead), witnesses William Lillie and John
      Smith.

      Hope all this helps.