Re: Leslies and Stewarts of Peterhead

  • susan willilamson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 1998
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Judy Hand <j.rhand@...>
      To: One list <Peterhead@onelist.com>
      Date: Tuesday, November 10, 1998 6:06 PM
      Subject: [Peterhead] Leslies and Stewarts of Peterhead

      >From: Judy Hand <j.rhand@...>
      >
      >Dear Wade
      >
      >I have just received a copy of Eliza Leslie (nee Stewart)'s death
      >certificate. She died in 1883, aged 68 years, therefore was born 1815.
      >Her parents' names are given as:
      >Father: (blank) Stewart, Seaman, (Merchant Service) deceased
      >Mother: Jean Stewart, MS Williamson deceased.

      Hi Judy,
      Beside the mother's name directly above you have "MS Williamson" what
      does MS mean and what is the connection to Jean Stewart. I'm interested
      in the Williamson part.

      >I feel her father's name was Alexander Stewart, because she named her
      >first son Alexander Stewart Leslie, but I have not proved this.

      I'm hoping the "Alexander" is connected to the Williamson part--please
      let me know!

      Thank you,
      Susan Williamson
      Bellingham, WA

      >Would you be kind enough to check your records and see if you can find
      >any reference to the above couple. They should not have been too old
      >to have been on the 1841, or even the 1851 censuses, assuming they were
      >still alive.
      >
      >I, too, would like to congratulate you on your wonderful web site - I
      >was especially pleased to see the photo of Peterhead, so I can at least
      >visualise the place. I keep checking your records, too; they are so
      >clearly set out.
      >
      >Thanks again,
      >Judy Hand

    • Judy Hand
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 1998
        susan willilamson wrote:

        > From: "susan willilamson" <williamsons@...>

        The MS stands for "Maiden Surname", and is how it is written on the
        Scottish records. Thus, Jean Williamson married ? Stewart, and became
        Jean Stewart.

        > >I feel her father's name was Alexander Stewart, because she named her
        > >first son Alexander Stewart Leslie, but I have not proved this.
        >
        > I'm hoping the "Alexander" is connected to the Williamson part--please
        > let me know!

        The Alexander may very well be connected to the Williamson family - I
        simply have no idea. However, if it does fit in with your Williamson
        research, please let me know, as the Jean Williamson in my research was
        a direct ancestor, so, of course, I am very interested.

        If I find anything else about this family I'll let you know.
        Kind regards,
        Judy Hand
        Auckland

        > Thank you,
        > Susan Williamson
        > Bellingham, WA
        > >
        > >Would you be kind enough to check your records and see if you can find
        > >any reference to the above couple. They should not have been too old
        > >to have been on the 1841, or even the 1851 censuses, assuming they were
        > >still alive.
        > >
        > >I, too, would like to congratulate you on your wonderful web site - I
        > >was especially pleased to see the photo of Peterhead, so I can at least
        > >visualise the place. I keep checking your records, too; they are so
        > >clearly set out.
        > >
        > >Thanks again,
        > >Judy Hand

        ������
      • susan willilamson
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 1998
          Hi Judy, your e-mail this morning reminded me to to let you know I'm still
          trying to piece together our possible williamson connection and I'll get
          back to you. Do you have anything else on Peterhead Williamsons? Was
          the first name of Eliza's mother's father "William" Williamson?
          There seemed to have been only one or two families early 1800's.

          Susan Williamson