RE: [Peterhead] COW and SLESSOR in Peterhead

  • Morrison, William
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
      I was very interested in the discussion about Peterhead in the 50's.
      My father was born in Peterhead, I was born in Abadan, Iran. After Dr
      Mossadeq, Iranian Prime Minister, decided in 1951 that Iranians should run
      the Refinery in Abadan we left the country and came to Peterhead for a year
      where I started school at the "Chuckenies" school. This school was opposite
      the Palace Hotel, it is no longer a school but some kind of remedial centre.
      I look back on that year with great affection, My Aunt Helen Taylor May (nee
      Morrison) was a teacher at the Central School and was married to a wonderful
      man called George Smith May. He was a master joiner with a business in
      Queen Street. Uncle Geo used to take me out to the various jobs his men were
      working on out in the country, I loved going with him. He was convenor of
      the Feuars Managers at one time and for nearly 40 years a church Elder. He
      was a scratch golfer in his day and won the Open (Peterhead Open) in 1929.

      Miss Wright was Headmistress of the "Chuckenies", she once gave me the strap
      for throwing Snowballs at her office window! My class teacher was Miss
      Strachan.

      When in Peterhead we stayed with my Grandmother Elizabeth Morrison ( nee
      Marshall) she lived at 88 Kirk Street.

      All the old folk are dead now but I love going back to Peterhead and
      visiting the old haunts, the "Pot", the Lido, the "twa een" and above all
      the harbour.

      I am retiring back to Scotland at the end of this week so will have more
      time to wander the Sreets of the Bloo Toon.

      Bill Morrison
      Missouri USA