COW and SLESSOR in Peterhead

  • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2001

      > COW. Georgina Cow b. abt 1838 [George Cow and Margaret Grant] m. John
      > John WEBSTER in Peterhead 1856.
      > Her sibs were James Mitchell COW
      > Caroline "
      > Ann "
      > Grace Murray "
      > The WEBSTER line went on to Charles George b. 1904 who m.Marjorie Hills
      > BRUCE-my husbands Aunt.
      > SLESSOR. John SLESSOR b.abt 1817 [Alexander and Mary McKAY] m. Isabella
      > DIVRALL in 1843 in Peterhead. They had 2 sons-John b. 1848 & d. 1863
      > and William SLESSOR b. 1851, m.Jane McBAIN 1878 and have descendants.
      >
      > You sound like my husband with your recollections of Peterhead.He spent
      > many vacations there and had a brief time when he went to school there
      > too. His mother was Isobel Annie BRUCE daughter of Charles and Annie
      > [m.s. Hills].Buce. They had an Ironmongers shop in Peterhead
      > Any of the above connect to you?
      > We still have some Peterhead connections. Betty.
    • Morrison, William
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2001
        I was very interested in the discussion about Peterhead in the 50's.
        My father was born in Peterhead, I was born in Abadan, Iran. After Dr
        Mossadeq, Iranian Prime Minister, decided in 1951 that Iranians should run
        the Refinery in Abadan we left the country and came to Peterhead for a year
        where I started school at the "Chuckenies" school. This school was opposite
        the Palace Hotel, it is no longer a school but some kind of remedial centre.
        I look back on that year with great affection, My Aunt Helen Taylor May (nee
        Morrison) was a teacher at the Central School and was married to a wonderful
        man called George Smith May. He was a master joiner with a business in
        Queen Street. Uncle Geo used to take me out to the various jobs his men were
        working on out in the country, I loved going with him. He was convenor of
        the Feuars Managers at one time and for nearly 40 years a church Elder. He
        was a scratch golfer in his day and won the Open (Peterhead Open) in 1929.

        Miss Wright was Headmistress of the "Chuckenies", she once gave me the strap
        for throwing Snowballs at her office window! My class teacher was Miss
        Strachan.

        When in Peterhead we stayed with my Grandmother Elizabeth Morrison ( nee
        Marshall) she lived at 88 Kirk Street.

        All the old folk are dead now but I love going back to Peterhead and
        visiting the old haunts, the "Pot", the Lido, the "twa een" and above all
        the harbour.

        I am retiring back to Scotland at the end of this week so will have more
        time to wander the Sreets of the Bloo Toon.

        Bill Morrison
        Missouri USA