Hello to all!

  • Nascimben
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2001
      Hello,

      I'm new to the list. My name is Sylvia Cowe Nascimben.

      My parents, William Cowe and Netta Rankin Cowe were born and raised in Peterhead and emigrated to Niagara Falls NY in 1930. My father was from Merchant St and my mother was from St. Mary's St.

      Actually, I'm not searching for ancesters as I know many relatives in Peterhead with many still in the area - surnames include Cowe, Cow, Strachan, Reid, Rankin, Jamieson, Cruickshank, Slessor. My sister also lives now near Peterhead.

      My father's family were fisherfolk and my Grandfather and Uncle, both Andrew Cowe were lost at sea in 1936 in the Olive Branch drifter disaster. My Great Grandfather on my mother's, Davidson, side was a butcher in Buchanhaven.

      I started school in Peterhead on an extended family vacation in 1950 and have visited several times, my last being in 1996. I have many fond memories of my visits to Peterhead, meeting my family and learning about my parents hometown. I remember the dips in the clear cold waters at the Lido, watching them bring in the herring off the boats with buckets at the harbor, watching the rescue boat taking it's dive into the water and the wonderful drives through the countryside.

      I'd be interested to find out if any of you have similar family connections.

      Sincerely
      Sylvia

    • Bruce Milne
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 31, 2001
        Dear Sylvia,

        What a pleasure it was to spot your note on the Peterhead net. I
        knew your father quite wel and, if I'm not mistaken, met your mother at my
        sister Barbara's funeral in January of theis year. I can remember my
        father Peter Milne packing us into his old car and heading up to your
        parents place somewhere in LaSalle between 87th and 101st streets. Bill Coo
        my father called him.

        I had an e-mail from my cousin in Peterhead after my sister's death
        and I think he mentioined your parents. They are the John Hays and Mary's
        maiden name was Cowe if I'm not mistaken.

        There were a bunch of Scotsmen in Niagara Falls that I think wee
        quite close friends and I remember the Shredded Pipe band in which my
        father and Uncle Bill played along with Jimmy Garscadden, Jock McKay, Bob
        wWallace, Jim Park, etc

        Are you still in Niagara Falls. I left and have been in Toronto
        for the past 37 years.

        Drop a line if you get a chance

        Bruce Milne
      • Bruce Milne

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 2001
              Dear Sylvia,

              Some time ago we werre in communication re the aul' Peterhead folk....I
              trust you recall. Since then I've had a call from a cousin of mine in
              Cruden Bay by the name of Margie Cowe who has been in touch with my
              father's sister ( my Auntie Chris) who is 96 and living by herself in
              Aberdeen. She ( they) are putting together a family history of the Milnes
              with a lot of input for the Cowes. My cousin Mary Hay ( nee Cowe) still
              lives in Peterhead and is involved as well. Let me know if you're
              interested in any fashion.

              Regards,

              Bruce
            • Busse
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 28, 2001
                Bruce,

                I myself is a descendent of the Milnes from Peterhead Aberdeen Scotland. Maybe we have a connection?

                Jamie
                Some time ago we werre in communication re the aul' Peterhead folk....I
                trust you recall. Since then I've had a call from a cousin of mine in
                Cruden Bay by the name of Margie Cowe who has been in touch with my
                father's sister ( my Auntie Chris) who is 96 and living by herself in
                Aberdeen. She ( they) are putting together a family history of the Milnes
                with a lot of input for the Cowes. My cousin Mary Hay ( nee Cowe) still
                lives in Peterhead and is involved as well. Let me know if you're
                interested in any fashion.

                Regards,

                Bruce

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Ken May
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 5, 2002
                  Bruce,

                  I'm also interested in the Milnes. John May married
                  Janet Milne, at Millhead o'Cocklaw, on 02 Jun 1856.
                  They were my great grandparents, emigrating, with
                  their family, to New Zealand, in 1886.

                  I don't have a lot on the Milne side of the family,
                  although there are Milnes throughout New Zealand, even
                  about 500 metres down the road.

                  Regards

                  Ken May

                  --- Bruce Milne <brucemil@...> wrote:
                  > Dear Sylvia,
                  >
                  > Some time ago we werre in communication re the aul'
                  > Peterhead folk....I
                  > trust you recall. Since then I've had a call from a
                  > cousin of mine in
                  > Cruden Bay by the name of Margie Cowe who has been
                  > in touch with my
                  > father's sister ( my Auntie Chris) who is 96 and
                  > living by herself in
                  > Aberdeen. She ( they) are putting together a family
                  > history of the Milnes
                  > with a lot of input for the Cowes. My cousin Mary
                  > Hay ( nee Cowe) still
                  > lives in Peterhead and is involved as well. Let me
                  > know if you're
                  > interested in any fashion.
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Bruce

                  Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
                  http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
                • Bruce Milne
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 6, 2002
                    Ken, I'll be pleased to pass along wnything I get from my relatives in
                    Peterhead and environs.

                    Warm Regards,

                    Bruce