Alexander REID

  • colin knaggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2001
      Hello list,

      I am researching my wife Pam's family tree. We live in New Zealand and most of my wife's great great grandparents landed at Lyttelton and lived in and around Christchurch. One great grand parent Alexander REID, ( born c 1883) was a sailor from Peterhead who as a 2nd Mate met Amelia STEVENS a passenger on the " William Miles". Amelia was emigrating to New Zealand along with her family from Cornwall. Alexander and Amelia married two weeks after landing at Lyttelton in August 1860. Alexander then returned to Peterhead to settle his affairs and returned to Lyttelton in 1862 as 1st mate on the "Mermaid".

      Alexander was the first Pilot for Lyttelton harbour. He and Amelia had 13 children and he died in 1886 aged 53.

      I would be very interested to know more about his family in Peterhead.

      Colin

      Hamilton
      New Zealand