Re: [Peterhead] 1851 Census

    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 9, 2001
      elmarboy@... wrote:

      > Is there an 1851 Census available for other counties and
      > parishes, such as Peterculter, Newhills, Old Machar and Midmar?

      Yes, they can be viewed through any LDS Family History Centre. I don't
      know of anyone having indexed them as yet, if this is what you were
      asking. If you are a member of the Aberdeen & NE Scotland FHS they will
      do a search for a name in the census.

    • Alex Ritchie
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 28, 2002
        For Wade Buchan :

        Hi Wade,
        When you get a chance, could you locate a family for me on the 1851 Census ?
        I'm looking for a George Martin and his family. He may not have been at home because he was a seaman, but his wife would be Catherine Martin (approx. 36 years old) so you might find her and the family.

        Also if you (or anyone else out there) have access to the 1841 Census, I would like to locate Catherine Martin & family on that one also.

        Many Thanks & Best Regards

        Alex. Ritchie

        Message 3 of 30 , Apr 4, 2002
          Hi Alex,

          Alex Ritchie wrote:

          > For Wade Buchan :
          >
          > Hi Wade,
          > When you get a chance, could you locate a family for
          > me on the 1851 Census ?
          > I'm looking for a George Martin and his family. He
          > may not have been at home because he was a seaman, but his wife would
          > be Catherine Martin (approx. 36 years old) so you might find her and
          > the family.
          >
          > Also if you (or anyone else out there) have access to
          > the 1841 Census, I would like to locate Catherine Martin & family on
          > that one also.

          1851 Peterhead Census
          District 8, Page 6, No.36, Ronheads
          Catherine Martin, head, 35, Seamans wife, Peterhead
          William Martin, son, 12, Seamans son, Peterhead
          Jean Martin, daughter, 10, Peterhead
          Marion Martin, daughter, 4, Peterhead

          No.37
          Jean Martin, head, widow, 71, House Proprietor, Peterhead

          I have the 1841 census for Roanheads and found:
          District 5, Page 13, Roanheads
          Sarah Robertson, 55, Fish Vendor, Y
          Katherine Martin, 20, Y
          William Martin, 2, Y
          Jane Martin, 8 months, Y

          District 10 (at sea), Page 16
          George Martin, 25, Seaman, Y

          I have two voyage details for George if you are interested.

        • Alex Ritchie
          Message 4 of 30 , Apr 10, 2002
            For Wade Buchan

            Wade,
            Many thanks for the Census information.
            I would really appreciate the details of George Martin's voyages which you offered.
            The only one I have details of is, in fact, his last in 1867 when he was first mate on the Dundee whaler "Camperdown".
            Just as they were pulling away he jumped from the quay, lost his footing and fell into the water. At first his injuries did not seem to be serious but by the time they reached Lerwick on their way to the whaling grounds he had died. His remains were interred in Lerwick although I've never been able to track down a Death Certificate (I guess these Shetlanders were a law unto themselves !!).

            Thanks Again........................................Alex Ritchie

          • Cathi Morton
            Message 5 of 30 , Aug 4, 2003
              Hi Janice,
              My GGGrandmother was Helen Wallace, born Sept 19, 1824. Her father was
              William Wallace b. 1798 in Dublin Ireland and her mother was Helen Chisholm
              b. 1798 in Peterhead. They were married 12/21/1823. Hope this is of some
              help and is your Helen Wallace. I have further info if you need it.

              Cathi

                Message 7 of 30 , Dec 10, 2003
                  Hi Marilyn,

                  1851 Peterhead Census
                  District 4, Page 12, No.57, 31 Merchant Street
                  Alexander Robertson, head, mar, 37, Solicitor, Insurance Broker & Ship-owner, Peterhead
                  Isabella Robertson, wife, mar, 28, Pitsligo
                  Margaret J Robertson, daughter, 7, Scholar, Peterhead
                  Robert Robertson, son, 6, scholar, Peterhead
                  George Robertson, son, 4, Peterhead
                  Alexander Robertson, son, 3, Peterhead
                  Milne J Robertson, son, 1, Peterhead
                  James T Robertson, 5 months, Peterhead
                  Margaret Whitecross, servant, 29, Nurse, Peterhead
                  Margaret Paterson, servant, 23, Nurse, Tyrie
                  Ann Robertson, servant, 19, Kitcheb Maid, Peterhead
                  Ann Pressly, servant, 22, House Maid, Fraserburgh

                  Message 8 of 30 , Dec 11, 2003
                    Hi Wade.
                    I am trying to locate information on Alexander Davidson.
                    From the National Archives of Canada, Federal Census of 1871(Ontario Index)
                    Here is what I have.
                    Davidson, Alexander age 49 born 1822
                    Peterhead, Scotland
                    Married , 1850- Jane? Born 1829
                    Occupation -Porter
                    District Oxford North(014)
                    Sub-district Woodstock Town(E)
                    Division 1
                    Page 18
                    Microfilm reel C-9912-3
                    Reference----Statistics Canada
                    They had 7 children Jane b 1853
                    Elsie b 1860
                    John b 1862
                    Harry b 1866
                    Helen b 1867
                    George b1870 d1944
                    Mary b 1872
                    George Davidson was my grandfather.
                    Alexander Davidson's father was also Alexander and must have been born
                    around 1790 in Peterhead Scotland.
                    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                    Diana Beatty

                    Message 9 of 30 , Dec 14, 2003
                      Hi Diana,

                      I didn't find your Alexander Davidson in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.

                      It looks like you haven't found Alexander's marriage. If any of the children were born in Scotland after 1855, it will give the mother's maiden name and date of marriage for parents.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Dec 16, 2003
                        My Alexander Davidson must have emigrated to Canada before that time. I have
                        also found a brother John born in 1824 in Scotland, but no mention of either
                        of their wives, however I think they must have come to Canada at the same
                        time,probably before 1850.
                        > I didn't find your Alexander Davidson in the 1851 Census for Peterhead.
                        >
                        > It looks like you haven't found Alexander's marriage. If any of the
                        children were born in Scotland after 1855, it will give the mother's maiden
                        name and date of marriage for parents.

                        > Regards, Wade.

                      • diana beatty
                        Message 11 of 30 , Dec 18, 2003
                          Hi Wade
                          I think my Alexander Davidson and his brother John, may have left Peterhead
                          before 1851, as his 7children seem to have been born in Canada 1853-1870,
                          but his father, who was also Alexander wrote a thesis in medicine(in Latin)
                          at the University of Edinborough in 1819, so he must have been born around
                          1795 in Peterhead.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Dec 29, 2003
                            Hi Diana,

                            There is only an Alexander Davidson aged 61 a Mason born in Lonmay, that is close enough to being born in 1795.

                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 13, 2004
                              MessageHi Ian,

                              Only one John Robertson that age in the 1851 Census, however his wife was Janet Brown and he died in 1860 Peterhead. Did not find a Helen or Robert fit either. There is a death in 1856, he was a Ship Carpenter and died at sea, the 1856 deaths only give that he was married. On James' marriage certificate does it state if both parents are still alive?

                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 21, 2004
                                Hi Wade,
                                I finally found some more info on my Alexander Davidson. He was born
                                Jan.15, 1821.in Aberdeenshire Scotland, and died Sept. 9, 1910 in Woodstock,
                                Ontario Canada.
                                Married to Jean Valentine( sometimes listed as Jane)
                                born March 23,1830,Aberdeenshire Scotland.
                                died Aug.28, 1895. Woodstock Ontario
                                They emigrated to Canada and arrived in Woodstock Ontario in 1854.
                                His father was Alexander, and must have been born around 1790. I believe
                                they came from Peterhead.
                                Can you help me, or does anyone else tie in with this?
                                Sincerely, Diana Beatty.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Feb 24, 2004
                                  Hi Diana,

                                  I had a quick look at the IGI (Family Search) on the Internet. Alexander Davidson and Jean Valentine married 1 April 1854 in Ellon. Also there is a birth for a Jean in the Chapel of Garioch parish that matches the date you gave. Didn't find a matching Alexander. Someone has also submitted this family to the Ancestral File, if it is not already you.

                                  I suggest looking at the Ellon marriage on the OPR, either on film or Scotlandspeople web site, as it can sometimes give the parish they were from.

                                  This is the only Alexander Davidson born about 1790 in Peterhead.

                                  Peterhead 1851 Census
                                  District 19, Page 14, No.41, Sterlinghill
                                  Alexander Davidson, head, amr, 61, Mason, Lonmay
                                  Isabella Davidson, wife, 54, Peterhead
                                  Isabella Davidson, daughter, 17, Peterhead

                                  Regards, Wade.

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Feb 24, 2004
                                    Wade,
                                    I am pretty new at this and am unfamiliar with the OPR.Can you tell me
                                    where to find that.
                                    Thanks for all your help. Diana.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Feb 25, 2004
                                      Diana,

                                      The Old Parochial Registers (OPR) for Scotland are pre-1855 before Civil Registration began. These records have been filmed by the Latter Day Saints and can be hired through any of their Family History Centres. They are also available on the Scotlandspeople web site. If your a member of the Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS they will also do look ups for members.

                                      The information varies in each parish and even within the same parish, depends on the Minister/Elder recording the information.

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Feb 27, 2004
                                        Hi Martin,

                                        District 4, Page 5, No.18, 11 Maiden Street
                                        Margaret Anderson, head, wid, 67, Annuitant, Macduff, Ban
                                        Ann Anderson, dau, 43, Organist, Banff, Ban
                                        Jane Anderson, dau, 29, Formerly Milliner, Thurso, Caithness
                                        Ann Anderson, grand-dau, 13, Scholar, Peterhead

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Oct 6, 2004
                                          Hi Wade. You were correct, the Alexander Davidson that married Jean
                                          Valentine was my great grandfather. Now I am looking for his
                                          father,Alexander, who would have been born around 1790, and lived in Lonmay.
                                          He could have been the one married to Isabella, but I believe he was
                                          involved in the Medical profession, as my brother has a thesis on kidney
                                          disease, written by him, in Latin, from the University of Edinborough. That
                                          is all I know.

                                          ----