Peterhead Ancestors

  • brebnerjohn@home.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2001
      I am interested in learning more about my Brebner ancestors in
      Peterhead. My ggrandfather apparently moved to Peterhead from
      Aberdeen between 1845 and 1870. My grandfather was married in
      Peterhead to Isabella Allan in 1871. The 1871 census shows my
      ggrandfather and ggrandmother living at 63 St. Peter Street and my
      grandfather and grandmother living at 8 St. Mary Street. The 1881
      census shows all four of them living at 17 St. Mary Street along with
      four sons, William Allan, Edward George, James John, and Harry
      Brebner. My father, Robert Brebner was born on October 10, 1881 but
      must have been born after the census. The 1891 census shows the
      family living at 3 Ugie Street.

      William Allan Brebner, Harry Brebner, and Robert Brebner all
      emigrated to Seattle, Washington, USA around the turn of the century
      and their descendants, including myself and my family are all still
      here.

      I and my son visited Peterhead in 1997 and stayed at the Prince
      Hotel. We called all of the Brebners living in Peterhead but none of
      them appeared to be related to us. We visited the only two
      cemetaries that we could find and walked the rows looking for Brebner
      relatives but were unsuccessful. We have since found out that there
      is a third cemetary.

      I would like burial information about William Brebner, 1802-1880 ,
      Elizabeth Brebner, 1802-1890, William Brebner 1841-190?, Isabella
      Allan 1848-1891. I would also be interested to find out anything I
      can about the Brebners who did not emigrate, Edward George Brebner b.
      1873, James John Brebner b. 1876, John Brebner 1883.

      According to the 1891 census, my grandfather, William Brebner was a
      Sheriff's Officer. In the USA that would mean that he was a
      policeman but I have heard that in Scotland it means something else.
      Could someone tell me what?

      I am very excited to find this list and will be grateful for anything
      I can learn.
    • dmatthew
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 11, 2001
        I am interested in learning more about my Brebner ancestors in
        >Peterhead. My ggrandfather apparently moved to Peterhead from
        >Aberdeen between 1845 and 1870. My grandfather was married in
        >Peterhead to Isabella Allan in 1871. The 1871 census shows my
        >ggrandfather and ggrandmother living at 63 St. Peter Street and my
        >grandfather and grandmother living at 8 St. Mary Street. The 1881
        >census shows all four of them living at 17 St. Mary Street along with
        >four sons, William Allan, Edward George, James John, and Harry
        >Brebner. My father, Robert Brebner was born on October 10, 1881 but
        >must have been born after the census. The 1891 census shows the
        >family living at 3 Ugie Street.
        >
        >William Allan Brebner, Harry Brebner, and Robert Brebner all
        >emigrated to Seattle, Washington, USA around the turn of the century
        >and their descendants, including myself and my family are all still
        >here.
        >
        >I and my son visited Peterhead in 1997 and stayed at the Prince
        >Hotel. We called all of the Brebners living in Peterhead but none of
        >them appeared to be related to us. We visited the only two
        >cemetaries that we could find and walked the rows looking for Brebner
        >relatives but were unsuccessful. We have since found out that there
        >is a third cemetary.
        >
        >I would like burial information about William Brebner, 1802-1880 ,
        >Elizabeth Brebner, 1802-1890, William Brebner 1841-190?, Isabella
        >Allan 1848-1891. I would also be interested to find out anything I
        >can about the Brebners who did not emigrate, Edward George Brebner b.
        >1873, James John Brebner b. 1876, John Brebner 1883.
        >
        >According to the 1891 census, my grandfather, William Brebner was a
        >Sheriff's Officer. In the USA that would mean that he was a
        >policeman but I have heard that in Scotland it means something else.
        >Could someone tell me what?
        >
        >I am very excited to find this list and will be grateful for anything
        >I can learn.

        Robert Brebner was born after the 1881 census as the census was taken in
        April 1881. I would think that a sheriff's officer would be something like a
        bailiff or a clerk of the court, I am sure Grampian Regional Archives or a
        Sheriff's Court would be able to help.

        The burial records of the Old Parish Records (the OPRs) for Peterhead
        should be able to confirm which church they were buried in, but don't be
        surprised if there is no grave. The Peterhead Registrar of Births, Deaths
        and Marriages may have lair records which record the ownership of the
        graves, but the dates may be a little early. If your ancestors were buried
        in a local cemetary then the local authotity should have a record.

        Have you considered that the brothers that remained in Peterhead may have
        served in the First World War but the indexes are not that good at the
        Public Record Office, Kew and a number of files would need to be checked to
        see if any are for John Brebner.

        You may like to contact the Aberdeen and North East Scotland at
        enquiries@... as one of the deposited family trees may have
        Brebner interests recorded.

        I hope this helps.

        David