Re: [Peterhead] New to the Group

  • dmatthew
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2001
      Hello Paul,

      I am researching the family of my mother in law, Jean Kelman Logue (maiden
      >name), whose family are from Peterhead.
      >
      >Her father was a James Logue (1886-1974). He moved to Peterhead from
      Ireland
      >in the early part of the last century where he met his wife Margaret
      >Jane Stephen (1885-1975).
      >
      >Margaret had a number of brothers and sisters, Robert, Sarah, Isabella,
      >Joanne, and George.
      >
      >Margarets father was Robert Stephen, and her mother Christina
      >Sherriff-Kelman. Robert was a cooper by trade, and had apparently served in
      >the army. It is believed he died in his forties or fifties.
      >
      >Which is as far as I have got. Does anyone recognise the people mentioned?
      >
      >James Logue was a merchant seaman. I don't believe he worked on the
      >trawlers. Could anyone suggest where I might locate records relating to his
      >time at sea?
      >
      >Any suggestions in tracing Roberts and Christina's families back would be
      >greatly appreciated.
      >
      >Thank you in anticipation.

      There is quite a lot of information available on Merchant Seamen, not only
      in the Public Record Office, Kew, England and elsewhere, we have quite a few
      people in the group who know about local records so I will confine myself to
      the records at the Public Record Office which are available in the Board of
      Trade records, there is a website at http://www.pro.gov.uk which will guide
      to their information leaflets.

      There may be a army record for Robert Stephen but this will depend on
      whether
      he survived in the Army, these records are also at the Public Record Office.
      The army records (for those that were not killed and left before 1921) and
      for those records that survived a bombing raid in 1940 may reveal
      information about their family.

      I presume that you have James and Margaret's marriage certificate which will
      lead back to their parents and then back to a baptism and then a marriage
      and so on, with census records adding more information. The birth, deaths,
      marriages and the 1891 census indexes are available at Scots Origins at
      http://www.origins.net/GRO/

      I would also suggest you contact the Aberdeen and North East Scotland family
      History Society in Aberdeen at enquiries@... as they hold copies
      of the family trees being researched in Aberdeenshire and surrounding
      counties and there may be others interested in the same family.

      I hope this is of some help.

      David