Re: [Peterhead] Buller Of Buchan - Near Peterhead

  • Bruce Milne
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2001
      I was at the Bullers of Buchan during a visit to Peterhead in 1957. I
      believe it was on the road to Peterhead from Aberdeen and , if I recall
      correctly, was a erose cliff formation that was stunning in effect. Sorry,
      I don't have anymore info
    • Wilson Family
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2001
        At 12:42 04/02/2001, you wrote:

        >I just recently purchased a print called The Buller of Buchan - Near
        >Peterhead. Does anyone know anything about this? It looks about like where
        >Thief's Loop is. If anyone has any information about it, I would love to
        >know.

        Hi Becchi,

        As others have said, the Bullers of Buchan are very high cliffs just south
        of Peterhead. I have a photo if you would like one sent privately (scanned
        in). The photo shows a very high arch in the rock, in front of a ravine
        which must have been carved out from underneath by the sea and then
        collapsed from the top, if that makes sense... Unfortunately it was foggy
        the day I was there, but it must be spectacular scenery in sunshine,
        similar to Tasman's Arch if anyone has visited the Tasman Peninsula near
        Port Arthur in Tasmania.

        When I was looking at census records I found that there were several
        families living there in the late 1800s (I was curious about the row of
        houses not far from the edge of the cliff - great place to bring up
        children!!) and a book about the fishing industry etc said that at one
        point 8-10 boats operated from there - almost unbelievable when you see the
        height of the cliffs, but I guess there is a bit of shingle somewhere at
        the base, and a path up?

        Elisabeth Wilson
        South Hobart, Tasmania
        researching GORDON GIBB YOUNG SPENCE PAUL MURRISON CRAIG DAVIDSON