Buller Of Buchan - Near Peterhead

  • Becchi Oesterle
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2001
      I just recently purchased a print called The Buller of Buchan - Near
      Peterhead. Does anyone know anything about this? It looks about like where
      Thief's Loop is. If anyone has any information about it, I would love to
      know.

      thanks!

      Becchi Oesterle

    • Bruce Milne
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2001
        I was at the Bullers of Buchan during a visit to Peterhead in 1957. I
        believe it was on the road to Peterhead from Aberdeen and , if I recall
        correctly, was a erose cliff formation that was stunning in effect. Sorry,
        I don't have anymore info
      • Wilson Family
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2001
          At 12:42 04/02/2001, you wrote:

          >I just recently purchased a print called The Buller of Buchan - Near
          >Peterhead. Does anyone know anything about this? It looks about like where
          >Thief's Loop is. If anyone has any information about it, I would love to
          >know.

          Hi Becchi,

          As others have said, the Bullers of Buchan are very high cliffs just south
          of Peterhead. I have a photo if you would like one sent privately (scanned
          in). The photo shows a very high arch in the rock, in front of a ravine
          which must have been carved out from underneath by the sea and then
          collapsed from the top, if that makes sense... Unfortunately it was foggy
          the day I was there, but it must be spectacular scenery in sunshine,
          similar to Tasman's Arch if anyone has visited the Tasman Peninsula near
          Port Arthur in Tasmania.

          When I was looking at census records I found that there were several
          families living there in the late 1800s (I was curious about the row of
          houses not far from the edge of the cliff - great place to bring up
          children!!) and a book about the fishing industry etc said that at one
          point 8-10 boats operated from there - almost unbelievable when you see the
          height of the cliffs, but I guess there is a bit of shingle somewhere at
          the base, and a path up?

          Elisabeth Wilson
          South Hobart, Tasmania
          researching GORDON GIBB YOUNG SPENCE PAUL MURRISON CRAIG DAVIDSON