Re: [Peterhead] Beagrie name source

  • Garry & Debbie
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 7, 2000
      Hello Sam,

      Have you come across any HAY'S in Cruden Bay. My John HAY married Jane WATT
      October 13, 1832 at Cruden. Jane WATT was baptised August 10, 1810 at
      Peterhead and her family appear to have been from that region. The HAY'S
      were fishermen at Cruden & the WATT'S fishermen at Peterhead.

      Debbie Cunningham

      Sam Daniel wrote:

      > I am currently following up the history of the Cruden Bay area and cam e
      > across the following account.
      >
      > "Looking inland to Fountainbleau farm (near Cruden Bay) that got its
      > European name when Francis, Earl of Erroll returned from exile he
      > brought with him a French servant by the name of Beaugre. The servant
      > was later given the lease to the farm and named it in memory of his
      > native France. The family name Beagrie is still common in the area."
      >
      > --
      > Sam Daniel

    • Sam Daniel
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 7, 2000
        For Debbie Cunningham,

        My family traces back to a James Daniel who married Margaret Hay 14th
        February 1846 in Cruden. So the answer has to be yes. I have not found
        where this Margaret Hay cam from.

        I also seem to remember that the Hays can from Perthshire and were
        someone related to the earls of Erroll. These had the castle at Slains
        which is in the Cruden area. Cruden Bay was originally called Port
        Erroll.

        Sam

        see also

        5. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index/BI
        Gender: F Birth: 1767 Of Cruden, Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland

        48. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 26 Nov 1708 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        51. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 8 May 1711 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        53. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 7 Sep 1712 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        56. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 31 Oct 1714 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        57. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 12 Jun 1715 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        59. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 9 Dec 1717 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        63. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 12 Dec 1720 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        73. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 2 May 1730 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        75. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 30 Jan 1732 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        76. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 30 Feb 1732 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        84. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 14 Nov 1741 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        86. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 9 Nov 1742 Ward, Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        87. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 14 Nov 1742 Tillymaud, Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        92. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 14 Mar 1745 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        97. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 19 Jun 1752 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        102. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 7 Feb 1765 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        104. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 16 Dec 1769 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        108. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 4 Apr 1773 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        109. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 1 Jan 1775 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        110. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 24 Sep 1775 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        117. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 25 Nov 1781 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        127. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 27 Apr 1796 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        162. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Christening: 20 Apr 1839 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        181. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Birth: 19 Oct 1857 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        182. Margaret Findlay HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Birth: 3 Dec 1857 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        222. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Birth: 2 Dec 1873 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        223. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Birth: 1874 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        269. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 6 Jul 1708 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        270. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 20 Jul 1708 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        274. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 5 Dec 1717 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        280. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 29 May 1729 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        286. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 9 Sep 1736 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        319. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 15 Sep 1792 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        320. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 16 Sep 1792 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        325. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 15 Feb 1800 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        355. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 8 Jan 1840 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        361. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 14 Feb 1846 Cruden, Aberdeen, Scotland

        393. Margaret HAY - International Genealogical Index
        Gender: F Marriage: 6 Jul 1709 Cruden, Brunt Hill, Aberdeen, Scotland

        --
        Sam Daniel
      • Sam Daniel
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 19, 2000
          Folks,

          I am now publishing some Peterhead related info at
          www.danielsd.demon.co.uk along with a start at my family tree.

          A Merry Christmas and a successful New Year to one and all.
          Special thanks to Wade.

          Sam

          Researching Daniel and Dick.
          --
          Sam Daniel
        • mr_beags2002
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 23, 2002
            -Hi Sam, I just happened to stumble across your message 1248 about
            the Beagrie origins.
            I have just started looking and got as far as 1740 (ish)
            Could you tell me more about your article eg the book it was in,
            where it is and the date as I think it in the late 1500's
            I have been looking at the IGI and am now struggling to get any
            further back and thought I might try for the begining instead.
            You can also get me on mr_beags@...

            Regards Jim